It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:06 pm

2018 MLB Draft - FIU ties

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:02 am   
Site Admin

reinierguerra wrote:
Someone to keep an eye on is Raynel Delgado, also a ss who i believe was our highest rated recruit coming into the draft and is still on the board. Hope some of these kids choose us, although is a tough decision for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:04 pm   
Puma

Looks like Kevin Vargas is also signing professionally with the Cardinals, according to his twitter profile.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:34 pm   
Site Admin

Update

Lency Delgado - Signed with the White Sox - 4th Round
Raynel Delgado - Signed with Cleveland - 6th Round
Yeakarlos LLera - Signed with the Orioles - 6th Round
Xavier Valentin - Signed with the Rangers - 19th Round

Following remain unsigned and have until Friday July 6 to sign:

Franco Aleman - RHP - 6'6" - Braves - 38th Round (Should stick with FIU)
John Rodriguez - SS - 6'2" - Rays - 37th Round (Should stick with FIU)
Kevin Vargas - SS - 6'2" - Cardinals - 22nd Round (hope he sticks, would be a great replacement for Silva)
Christopher Williams - OF - 6'1" - Reds - 15th Round (This would be a nice addition, some drafted in this area choose to go to JC to be eligible for next year's draft).

I think we have a shot at all 4. If they do come, then that would be some major talent for Coach Melendez to integrate into an already talented group.

He needs the bullpen guys to develop though, because that was the MAJOR weakness of last years team. You knew as soon as the starters were out that runs would be scored and no lead was save.

Highly rated guys like Jan Figueroa, Everett Hurst, Greyson Fletcher and Christian Santana need to step up to make this team formidable. Go F I U!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:11 pm   
Golden Panther

Thanks for the info, FPF! Landing all those kids would really bolster our talent level going on the future. Go Panthers!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:07 am   
Cougar

FIUPantherFan wrote:
Update

Kevin Vargas - SS - 6'2" - Cardinals - 22nd Round (hope he sticks, would be a great replacement for Silva)
Christopher Williams - OF - 6'1" - Reds - 15th Round (This would be a nice addition, some drafted in this area choose to go to JC to be eligible for next year's draft).

I think we have a shot at all 4. If they do come, then that would be some major talent for Coach Melendez to integrate into an already talented group.

He needs the bullpen guys to develop though, because that was the MAJOR weakness of last years team. You knew as soon as the starters were out that runs would be scored and no lead was save.

Highly rated guys like Jan Figueroa, Everett Hurst, Greyson Fletcher and Christian Santana need to step up to make this team formidable. Go F I U!

Kevin Vargas signed June 14th and is currently playing rookie league ball for the Cardinals. I don’t know why it has not been updated on the mlb draft tracker and perfect game site yet. http://m.mlb.com/player/677959/kevin-vargas

In addition to the remaining unsigned drafted players there are several highly ranked FIU signees/commits that were not drafted that will hopefully come to FIU including Jerret Ford (#165), Manny Gonzalez (#171), Angel Tiburcio (#190), and Juan Texiera (#251). Some of those, as you mentioned may choose to go to JUCO to be eligible for next season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:19 am   
Golden Panther

Good news, it seems. Christopher Williams, a 15th Round draftee outfielder by the Cincinnati Reds, decided to stick with FIU instead of signing with the Reds. The Cherokke Tribune Baseball Player of the Year in his area, hit .438 with 8 HR's and scored 47 runs as a senior high school player in Georgia. He would be another top addition to our baseball program and he said in this article he fully intends to come to FIU and be C-USA's freshman player of the year and take FIU to Omaha. I like it.

https://www.tribuneledgernews.com/sport ... ium=social

Quote:
He said he always leaned toward foregoing the professional game and accepting a scholarship to play at Florida International. Williams said the decision got as close as “50-50” during negotiations, but he ultimately decided to head to college, where he has some big goals for his freshman season in Miami.

“The goals are to improve, get bigger stronger and faster,” Williams said. “I want to have an impact as a freshman. I want to win Conference USA Freshman of the Year and hopefully take my team to Omaha (for the College World Series).”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:41 pm   
Site Admin

Looks like Aleman, Rodriguez and Williams did not sign. Hope they all come to FIU. As Fanatic said, looks like Williams will be here, which will be nice to replace Silva in the lineup.

EngUMPanther wrote:
FIUPantherFan wrote:
Update

Kevin Vargas signed June 14th and is currently playing rookie league ball for the Cardinals. I don’t know why it has not been updated on the mlb draft tracker and perfect game site yet. http://m.mlb.com/player/677959/kevin-vargas

In addition to the remaining unsigned drafted players there are several highly ranked FIU signees/commits that were not drafted that will hopefully come to FIU including Jerret Ford (#165), Manny Gonzalez (#171), Angel Tiburcio (#190), and Juan Texiera (#251). Some of those, as you mentioned may choose to go to JUCO to be eligible for next season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:25 pm   
Cougar

Looks like there is one other FIU recruit that was drafted and signed. Outfielder Edmond Americaan out of Chipola JUCO, was drafted in the 35th round and signed with the Cubs.