It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:41 pm

Assistant Coach Jered Goodwin is Gone

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:57 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I saw that the assistant coach Jered Goodwin has left the program. Now we just need the head coach to go and FIU baseball will be in better shape!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:59 am   
Golden Panther

Yes please.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:21 am   
Cougar

Hello Fellow Panthers Fans,
I will keep this pithy - Muerto Melendez has to go. I know most everyone is in agreement with this. His three year record, 80-87 speaks volumes. We have regressed during his time here. I hope they don't "give him one more year". Coach Davis and Coach Ballard turned around the football and basketball programs in their FIRST year (with the "other guy's" players). Enough with the excuses - unload him and bring in a dynamic, proven winner!
Interested, as always, in what y'all have to say. FIUPhil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:57 am   
Juvenile Panther

I agree with you 100% FIUPHIL. Get rid of Merv. There is no reason why a baseball program like FIU can't bring in, like you said, "a dynamic, proven winner". This change needs to happen soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:37 pm   
Golden Panther

No money to fire him before his contract ends. It will be just like Anthony Evans. Will be given the length of his contract to turn things around. No success = no extension. Such is life at FIU.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:09 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Baseball is my favorite FIU sport and I am beyond frustrated at the results. I, however, am not ready to sack MM.

1. His recruiting has been strong (I know, what good is a recruiting class if we don't win). My point is that I believe the talent level is there and it can click from one season to the other. This is a young team.

2. He is a passionate advocate for FIU Baseball. I have heard from multiple HS baseball coaches who interact with MM often and the feedback is always the same. He is engaged, proactive, accessible and great to deal with. A stark contrast to coaches of the past.

I am ok with seeing this play out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:49 pm   
Golden Panther

I see enough I like to let him have more time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:49 pm   
Golden Panther

Sorry, but I just can't fathom how a guy with the number one recruiting class can have such a terrible season the net year. We've had the best recruiting classes and a below 500 season. How is that possible? It just doesn't add up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:53 pm   
Golden Panther

While I'm disappointed with the results, particularly this past season, I say we have to wait at least one more year to truly assess the situation. As Manpike 15 stated, I've heard and had the same feedback on him. I do understand the frustration with the lack of winning, especially what happened this season, however.

Hoping we can turn around the baseball program next season.

Go Panthers!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:39 pm   
Site Admin

ummmmm....we might be WORSE, next year. Think about that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:38 am   
Juvenile Panther

Yeah! And how can FIU have 5 players drafted and top recruiting classes the last 2 years and not make the conference tournament?? Tells me it is the coaching!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:49 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Danny Price just retired at MDC. Thanks for all the memories #21!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:35 pm   
Golden Panther

GP 90 wrote:
Danny Price just retired at MDC. Thanks for all the memories #21!!!!

I was wondering how much longer he'd go. Hopefully FIU does the right thing one day and name the field and/or the stadium after him. He deserves it. But it probably doesn't happen until after PG leaves.

FIU Beisbol wrote:
Sorry, but I just can't fathom how a guy with the number one recruiting class can have such a terrible season the net year. We've had the best recruiting classes and a below 500 season. How is that possible? It just doesn't add up.

How many of those big-time kids actually showed up to FIU? (I have no idea... seriously asking.) That probably answers your question.

fiuphil wrote:
Hello Fellow Panthers Fans,
I will keep this pithy - Muerto Melendez has to go. I know most everyone is in agreement with this. His three year record, 80-87 speaks volumes. We have regressed during his time here. I hope they don't "give him one more year". Coach Davis and Coach Ballard turned around the football and basketball programs in their FIRST year (with the "other guy's" players). Enough with the excuses - unload him and bring in a dynamic, proven winner!
Interested, as always, in what y'all have to say. FIUPhil

I'm as baffled as many of you about the results so far. Having said that, I think he should get at least one more year. I feel that 4 years is a good enough time to really get a good feel on the coach.

I just have a hard time imagining that a guy who turned BCU into a MEAC power can't at least make FIU a consistent CUSA threat. Especially given his Puerto Rico ties. Who could FIU hire that would be better on paper? I can't imagine anyone short of a CWS winner and who on that list would come to FIU?

If he can't get FIU into a regional after next season, though... I think you have to consider canning him, assuming the financials work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:04 am   
Juvenile Panther

I had a chance to talk to a couple of players and they told me that they are having a terrible experience playing for Merv and that they can't wait to leave. They said the morale of the team is very low due to the way they are treated by Merv. Just letting you guys know!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:11 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Baseball14 wrote:
I had a chance to talk to a couple of players and they told me that they are having a terrible experience playing for Merv and that they can't wait to leave. They said the morale of the team is very low due to the way they are treated by Merv. Just letting you guys know!!!

This is news to me. I haven't heard any of this. I have heard great things about Coach Merv from different stakeholders. My position has been to give him more time. But if what you are hearing proves to be true then I am all for moving on.