It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:15 am

FIU to hire new Women's Basketball Coach

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:56 pm   
Golden Panther

Per David J.'s blog:

Quote:
Sources around Camp Mitch say University of Maryland assistant Marlin Chinn will soon be announced as FIU's first new women's basketball coach since Cindy Russo returned to FIU in 1980 after two years at Lamar University.

Chinn's been a college assistant at Seton Hall, Mount St. Mary's and, for the last six seasons, Maryland. The Terrapins, migrants from the ACC to the Big Ten, dominated the latter conference this season on the way to a Final Four loss to eventual national champion Connecticut. This will be his first college head coaching job.

So, now, for the first time, all FIU's coaches officially have been hired by athletic director Pete Garcia. Also, FIU joins the trend of more women's basketball programs being coached by men as salaries for coaching women's teams make these jobs a viable way to live comfortably in even expensive markets like South Florida.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fiusports/2015/04/fiu-to-hire-marlin-chinn-as-womens-basketball-coach.html

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:40 pm   
Site Admin

Here is the release from FIU, more importantly a quote from C-USA's Freshman of the Year...

http://fiusports.com/news/2015/4/8/WBB_0408150848.aspx

Quote:
MIAMI (April 8, 2015) – Executive Director of Sports and Entertainment Pete Garcia formally announced the hiring of Marlin Chinn as the next women's head basketball coach on Wednesday. Chinn becomes the sixth head coach for the FIU women's basketball program.

"I'm pleased to announce the hiring of Marlin Chinn as the next head coach of our women's basketball team," Garcia said. "He has had a lot of success and has been a part of some very successful programs. He is a tremendous recruiter and will bring a passion and work ethic to our program that is second to none."

"It's an exciting time to be here at FIU," Chinn said. "Just to see the potential here and growth that is waiting to explode. I think South Florida and the surrounding areas are huge as far as rich in recruiting. It's a hot bed for talent here in Florida, and we are going to attack it and be very aggressive with it. I'm looking forward to it. I'm very excited."

Chinn, who just finished his sixth season as an assistant coach at Maryland, helped lead the Terrapins to a 34-3 record last season, a Big Ten Championship title, a No. 1 seed in the 2015 NCAA Tournament and a Final Four appearance. The tournament appearance was the fifth for Chinn in six years as the top assistant. While on the Maryland staff, the team compiled a record of 164-41 and had several All-Big Ten performers, including 2015 All-Big Ten First Teamers, Lexie Brown and Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, and Laurin Mincy and Brionna Jones who were named to the Second Team. In addition, Brown was also a Naismith semifinalist candidate.

"I'm really happy for Marlin to get this opportunity," said Maryland Head Coach Brenda Frese. "He's been a veteran assistant, we've watched him grow and this is the next step for him. Just like Tina Langley, who just got hired at Rice, Marlin has been a very loyal assistant to our program. He's been a presence and a voice within our locker room. I take great pride in seeing anyone in this program achieve his or her dreams. I can't thank him enough for all he's given to Maryland. We wish him a ton of success."

Quote:
"This is so exciting," said FIU forward and C-USA Freshman of the Year Kiandre'a Pound. "He has come from such a successful program at Maryland. I think he is going to take this team to the next level. He's been to the Final Four two years in a row, and he has worked with some top talent. He knows what it takes to get to the next level and he is going to take us there."

Hopefully that means she stays and that is a pretty good building block for the new Coach.

Go F I U!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:43 pm   
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:30 pm   
Golden Panther

He sure comes from a top program and seems like a recruiter as well.

Welcome to FIU, Coach Chinn!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:39 pm   
Site Admin

Quote:
Chinn said what struck him as attractive about FIU, a school he knew little about before they began the wooing, was “all the facilities, and the facilities under construction all over campus. The arena’s getting a new floor, bleachers, locker room and film room.

“Obviously, the state of Florida is a hotbed of talent. We have a plan of attack for that.”

The Washington-Baltimore axis birthed and raised Chinn. The only head-coaching job he sought while at Maryland, Baltimore-area’s Towson State in 2013, would’ve just changed directions on his commute.

But Chinn believes he possesses the key to unlock the local recruiting shackles under which many FIU coaches labor.

“I have a lot of Florida recruiting ties with the AAU power players in the area,” Chinn said. “All those guys, I’ve developed relationships with through the years while I was at Seton Hall and Maryland.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colle ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:44 pm   
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:31 pm   
Site Admin

First assistant hired...

Tiara Malcolm-Assistant coach

Quote:
Tiara Malcom, a record-setting forward and one of the top women’s basketball players in University of Delaware history, concluded her eighth season as an assistant coach with her alma mater in 2013-14.

With the Blue Hens, Malcom primarily works with the program’s post players. Additionally, she is responsible for recruiting, equipment and scouting of opponents.

During her seven seasons as an assistant at Delaware, Malcom has helped pilot the Blue Hens to six 20-win seasons, including three NCAA Tournament appearances and three WNIT berths.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:06 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Thanks to Coach Russo and her top assistant Inge Nissen for taking this program from intramural status and turning it into a very respectable D-I program. Good luck, Coach Chinn, with turning the corner.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:38 pm   
Site Admin

Tiara Malcom takes coaching career to Florida
Kevin Tresolini, The News Journal 12:38 a.m. EDT May 9, 2015

NEWARK – First State native Tiara Malcom had known only the University of Delaware as a collegiate basketball player and assistant coach.

Then came a conversation last month with Marlin Chinn, who had just been named women's basketball coach at Florida International University in Miami.

"I need you 'T,' " Malcom said Chinn told her.

What began as a congratulatory chat, became a job offer that the 32-year-old Malcom has accepted. She is moving there this weekend to begin her new role as an FIU assistant women's basketball coach.

"It's a new opportunity," Malcom, 32, said Friday, excited to join Chinn, who had been an assistant at Maryland the previous six seasons after four at Seton Hall. "He has always been almost like a mentor for me."

The two had gotten to know each other on the camp and recruiting circuit. Even before that, Chinn, then an assistant at Mount St. Mary's, had recruited Malcom during her stellar career at Caravel Academy.

A Wilmington native, Malcom was a two-time first-team All-State selection at Caravel and state Player of the Year as a senior in 2001.

The 6-foot-1 post player then made a significant impact at Delaware, which shared the CAA regular-season title in 2003 and won it outright in 2005. But they lost CAA Tournament title games both years to Old Dominion, which, ironically, is now FIU's rival in Conference USA. As a senior, Malcom was CAA Player of the Year and UD Outstanding Senior Female Athlete of the Year.

After playing professionally for a year in Portugal, Malcom returned to Delaware and spent the last nine seasons on coach Tina Martin's staff. Delaware made three NCAA tournaments in that span (2007, 2012, 2013).

"I appreciate everything she has done for me," Malcom said of Martin, who has won 376 games in 19 seasons as Delaware coach. "There isn't anything about basketball that she doesn't know. I'm just looking forward to learning some new things.''

Chinn was hired April 8 at FIU. Cindy Russo had retired during last season, her 36th as FIU head coach. The Panthers went 3-26 last year and 0-18 in Conference USA, meaning the new coaches have some work ahead of them.

Malcom, who is sixth all-time in points (1,545), sixth in blocked shots (109) and 11th in rebounds (794) at Delaware, was inducted into the UD Athletics Hall of Fame in 2012. It was not a snap decision to tear herself away from Delaware and her close-knit family of dad Tyrone, mom Robin and brother T.J., who graduates this year from Brandywine High.

"I had my anxiety," she said, "but I know I'm ready to do this and to develop more in the coaching profession."

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:10 pm   
Site Admin

@FIUWBasketball Welcomes Keunta Miles to Coaching Staff

Quote:
MIAMI (May 14. 2015) – FIU women's basketball Head Coach, Marlin Chinn, continues to build his coaching staff as he announced the addition of Keunta Miles as an assistant coach on Thursday morning.

"'Keke' is a huge gift for us at FIU," said Chinn. "With her being a native of South Florida, her connections and contacts reach all over the state. I look forward to her being a tremendous asset to our ladies and our program."

Miles recently wrapped up her eighth year as an assistant coach with the North Florida women's basketball program. Miles worked with the Ospreys' post players and coordinated film exchange. She also managed the Ospreys' recruiting and scouting, assisted with the team's academics and helped student-athletes with admissions and clearinghouse procedures.

http://www.fiusports.com/news/2015/5/14/WBB_0514152047.aspx?path=wbball