It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:26 am

Men's Soccer in C-USA Championships

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:12 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUFan wrote:
FIU4ever wrote:
Congrats to FIUSoccer, champs of CUSA!
Why was PG there when he tried to kill the soccer program??!

Congrat's to the Panthers on a big Championship win; saw the final 20 minutes on Fox Sports - Atlantic, including the goal.

Good luck in the NCAA's.

.... and I believe that Melo was the AD during the downsizing of Men's programs.

It was during Mello's tenure. I remember that well. The claim was that the money wasn't there, but I suspect it was more due to the fact that FIU only needed to field 5 men's teams per NCAA rules and football was already turning into such a money pit that people felt men's soccer money was better used for football.

Personally, I never bought that argument. They still had to field a women's soccer team to stay compliant and it wouldn't cost that much more to keep the men. Plus Miami is a great area for recruiting soccer talent. Plus soccer is the only men's sport to even sniff national success at FIU. 2 D-II titles in the early 80's under Kremser and also the D-I final in 1996. They're the only national men's team titles FIU has ever won. How you can justify getting rid of them, I dunno.

I just watched the whole game (DVR'd it). Broadcast crew was terrible. Game was kind of boring. Marshall was hell-bent on playing 11 behind the ball and countering. FIU had, like, 75% possession or something like that. Clearly the better and more talented team. Marshall is sound defensively but no ideas in the final 3rd.

The Herd did a great job holding steady on D but it was a mistake that led to the goal. Lopez made a great run to head it down on the cross but the Herd had a guy guarding that back post and he moved just enough to let it by. If he held the post like he's supposed to, that ball doesn't go in.

411Panther wrote:
Great win.
Will this win help #FIU build the improved Soccer Stadium,stands, and track that was planned ?

Only if it attracts a donor willing to build it. Y'know, I just don't get why FIU can't get that done. It's either ineptness or it's just not enough of a priority. That stadium was falling down when I was calling games as a student and that was over 10 years ago. It hasn't gotten any better. And did you guys see the facility Charlotte has? No reason FIU can't have something like that.

The funny/sad part, to me, is that FIU could've easily done it back when they were re-building the football stadium. There was 7,000 or so permanent seats ripped apart during that time. Why couldn't they have just taken all those bleachers (with the coaches boxes) and just reassemble them at the soccer stadium? Would've doubled capacity or more instantly and I can't imagine it could've cost that much to do it. Certainly less than rebuilding from scratch.

Now that Miami FC is coming to play at the football stadium, I hope there's some movement on that front. I would imagine they need a place to practice and the soccer stadium is as good a place as any. Would be nice to see it spruced up to at least acceptable training ground standards.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:54 pm   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:22 am   
Golden Panther

FIUFan wrote:
FIU4ever wrote:

Congrat's to the Panthers on a big Championship win; saw the final 20 minutes on Fox Sports - Atlantic, including the goal.

Good luck in the NCAA's.

.... and I believe that Melo was the AD during the downsizing of Men's programs.

my bad, I instinctively put on my tinfoil hat whenever I see PG :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:36 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Clawing Cancer wrote:
FIUFan wrote:
FIU4ever wrote:

Good luck in the NCAA's.

It was during Mello's tenure. I remember that well. The claim was that the money wasn't there, but I suspect it was more due to the fact that FIU only needed to field 5 men's teams per NCAA rules and football was already turning into such a money pit that people felt men's soccer money was better used for football.

Personally, I never bought that argument. They still had to field a women's soccer team to stay compliant and it wouldn't cost that much more to keep the men. Plus Miami is a great area for recruiting soccer talent. Plus soccer is the only men's sport to even sniff national success at FIU. 2 D-II titles in the early 80's under Kremser and also the D-I final in 1996. They're the only national men's team titles FIU has ever won. How you can justify getting rid of them, I dunno.

I just watched the whole game (DVR'd it). Broadcast crew was terrible. Game was kind of boring. Marshall was hell-bent on playing 11 behind the ball and countering. FIU had, like, 75% possession or something like that. Clearly the better and more talented team. Marshall is sound defensively but no ideas in the final 3rd.

The Herd did a great job holding steady on D but it was a mistake that led to the goal. Lopez made a great run to head it down on the cross but the Herd had a guy guarding that back post and he moved just enough to let it by. If he held the post like he's supposed to, that ball doesn't go in.

411Panther wrote:
Great win.
Will this win help #FIU build the improved Soccer Stadium,stands, and track that was planned ?

Only if it attracts a donor willing to build it. Y'know, I just don't get why FIU can't get that done. It's either ineptness or it's just not enough of a priority. That stadium was falling down when I was calling games as a student and that was over 10 years ago. It hasn't gotten any better. And did you guys see the facility Charlotte has? No reason FIU can't have something like that.

The funny/sad part, to me, is that FIU could've easily done it back when they were re-building the football stadium. There was 7,000 or so permanent seats ripped apart during that time. Why couldn't they have just taken all those bleachers (with the coaches boxes) and just reassemble them at the soccer stadium? Would've doubled capacity or more instantly and I can't imagine it could've cost that much to do it. Certainly less than rebuilding from scratch.

Now that Miami FC is coming to play at the football stadium, I hope there's some movement on that front. I would imagine they need a place to practice and the soccer stadium is as good a place as any. Would be nice to see it spruced up to at least acceptable training ground standards.

I guess attendance to the games is so minimal, and I don't think there is much revenue or sponsors to pay for the stadium at this time. For those interested, this is the master plan with all future constructions till 2020:

http://facilities.fiu.edu/Documents/Pla ... 0_2020.pdf

This is the list of all construction projects:

http://facilities.fiu.edu/Documents/Con ... r_List.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:02 pm   
Golden Panther

GreyGoose wrote:
I guess attendance to the games is so minimal, and I don't think there is much revenue or sponsors to pay for the stadium at this time. For those interested, this is the master plan with all future constructions till 2020:

When I was a student, attendance wasn't more than 300 a game. Actual was probably half that for the men and even less for the women. I guess it hasn't changed much since then. Don't know for sure, though.

Maybe a good playoff run sees someone with deep pockets step up. If I'm PG, though, I have a nice talk with Miami FC. They have to have a place to practice. I can't see why FIU couldn't make a deal to have them practice at FIU in exchange for some $$ to rebuild the soccer stadium. Or at least float the idea.

I think that list makes it clear that unless a donor steps up, that stadium is going nowhere. In which case, moving soccer games to the football stadium makes a hell of a lot more sense. There's just no way home games should be hosted at a venue if you can't do postseason games there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:50 pm   
Site Admin

I went to the game vs. ODU and there was a legitimate 500-600 people there, the stand was 80% full. Honestly, there were more people there than for most baseball game, and they were more into it than any other FIU sporting event I've been to on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, I went with my sister and her family who have been to other FIU sporting events with me (including football and basketball) and that was the first one that they proactively asked to go back to (an FIU soccer game).

Clawing Cancer wrote:
GreyGoose wrote:

When I was a student, attendance wasn't more than 300 a game. Actual was probably half that for the men and even less for the women. I guess it hasn't changed much since then. Don't know for sure, though.

Maybe a good playoff run sees someone with deep pockets step up. If I'm PG, though, I have a nice talk with Miami FC. They have to have a place to practice. I can't see why FIU couldn't make a deal to have them practice at FIU in exchange for some $$ to rebuild the soccer stadium. Or at least float the idea.

I think that list makes it clear that unless a donor steps up, that stadium is going nowhere. In which case, moving soccer games to the football stadium makes a hell of a lot more sense. There's just no way home games should be hosted at a venue if you can't do postseason games there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:42 am   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
I went to the game vs. ODU and there was a legitimate 500-600 people there, the stand was 80% full. Honestly, there were more people there than for most baseball game, and they were more into it than any other FIU sporting event I've been to on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, I went with my sister and her family who have been to other FIU sporting events with me (including football and basketball) and that was the first one that they proactively asked to go back to (an FIU soccer game).

Glad to see that. Men's soccer was always among my favorites to broadcast. Kremser's teams played open and Calabrese does the same with his guys. That's what the beautiful game is all about.

There was usually a good atmosphere when I was a student, too. Good chanting and such. Definitely better than baseball most of the time.

Hell, there was more than a few times I had to ride the crowd mic when people got too... exuberant, shall we say. Never had to do that in any of the other sports. I'm sure there were a few in the crowd who would've liked to do the same to me. Especially in the press box. 8)

It's really a shame Miami is such a transplant town for soccer... but FIU really doesn't market that program like they should. Good college teams can draw 3 or 4,000 per game and I can't see why FIU shouldn't aspire to that level someday.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:47 am   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:

During the big run of '96, there were close to a thousand there for the home games banging drums and chanting the full 90 minutes. The Caribbean islanders really love their futbol, esp. Jamaica and Haiti. It's a big freak'n party.

This run needs to build into next year. A cursory look at the roster shows this squad is heavily built on the Junior class. That means next year (not giving up on this year) could be HUGE.

There's already been a lot of work done in getting the Miami FC here. We need to spend a million bucks and put some lipstick on that pig of a soccer stadium. With the professional club coming and the rise of FIU here, now's the time to seize this moment and goose the entire soccer culture around here.

Go Inter-Miami !!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:12 am   
Golden Panther

Last night I was coaching my daughter's soccer practice, wearing an FIU cap, as I almost always am, and the coach practicing on the field next to me asks if I went to FIU. I said I did and he said he did also. So I ask him if he knew that FIU soccer had just won the conference tournament. Of course he didn't. I told him that the team finished ranked 16th in the country and that they were playing Tulsa in the 1st round of the tournament today and that the program was heading in the right direction and that he should go check out a game. He said he hadn't been to a game since we got a football team and all the focus was on them.
So, even up here in Palm Beach county I am doing my part to spread word to FIU alum when I meet them. All started because I was repping FIU gear, which I am in some way about 95% of the time I leave my house.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:11 am   
Juvenile Panther

ROCK THE FIU GEAR - I DO IT EVERY DAY AT MY OFFICE VIA PENS AND POSTER, ALL WEEKEND WITH MY CAPS + I RECRUIT FINANCE PEOPLE TO COME AND WORK IN CINCINNATI!

This marketing is free people!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:33 am   
Golden Panther

The game will be webcast live for FREE on Tulsa's website:

http://www.tulsahurricane.com/watch/?Live=118

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:46 pm   
Site Admin

Look at this, it can't possibly be that expensive to build this or something a little better....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:13 pm   
Site Admin

Is anyone getting any sound?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:27 pm   
Site Admin

FIU takes the 1 - 0 lead.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:27 pm   
Golden Panther

Sound back now. Good cross for the assist.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next