It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Let's See: Men have 5 Sports

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:47 am   
Golden Panther

AND TWO ARE CHAMPIONS !!!

The others include Basketball, which has been an embarassment for years and now has had two ~.500 seasons and Football which is knocking on the door of bowl eligiblity.

Maybe some of the FIU community around here can get out from under the gloomy cloud they've been walking under (and attacking every positive post on this board) and realize there's been some real progress here with these athletic programs.

Yes, Football has been attracting all the revenue and attention around here for years, as it gets a foothold in the highest level of competition, but we must recoginize that this entire dept. has improved and matured. The next step in this maturation process is to build up our infrastructure which will attract higher and higher quality athletes and which will reward them with home games that matter.

This soccer team has NO business going to Tulsa OK to play a .500 team when they just won the championship in one of the most competitive conferences in the country. That's a travesty and it must be corrected. C-USA boasts 3 Top-25 schools, two SEC schools (Kentucky and S. Carolina) and FIU with an rpi of 16.

It's well beyond time that we start taking pride in our university and its athletic programs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:41 am   
Golden Panther

Agreed on the tone. Especially in football. 52-0 is a far worse beatdown than I could've imagined but that was a royally difficult setting for anyone to go win in. That wasn't just a normal football game for Marshall and they played like it.

As for soccer... do you know for a fact FIU would've hosted had the soccer stadium been in good shape? If that's the case - and, admittedly, it seems like it was at least a factor from the outside looking in - then I completely agree with you. That happens sometimes in NCAA soccer, though. I remember during the Kremser years that FIU hosted Cal State-Northridge in a first-round NCAA tourney game even thought Northridge was the higher seed and should've been the one hosting. In that case, I think it was because Northridge didn't put in a bid to host for some reason (not sure why). Maybe the same happened here.

(BTW, FIU went on to win that night on PK's. Dramatic win. I think it was the final post-season win of Karl's tenure, actually.)

I hate to suggest this because I don't like the idea of it under normal circumstances... but if the soccer stadium is in such a bad condition that it can't host events like this, then maybe it's time to have all soccer matches played at the football stadium. Seriously. I know the venue is way too large, but at least it has the capability to host a postseason game. I don't think it's fair to the team to have to travel to play a playoff game they should've had at home because they earned it.

Also... how's it fair to the fans to have to watch games in that dump? If FIU can't get it fixed up anytime soon, then at least move the games to a venue that is in good shape. They paid a lot of money to have a stadium that can host soccer as well as football games. Might as well use it.

I realize that the games will sound like an echo chamber, but I'd rather have that than a substandard facility that's been an embarrassment for years. They don't even feature it on the FIU sports website. That should tell you something right there.

Besides... that location would be ideal for a practice field for football as well as men's and women's soccer. Maybe even an indoor facility in the future. Hell, it wouldn't be bad for intramurals.

Last edited by Clawing Cancer on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:21 pm   
Golden Panther

As far as I'm concerned FIU should put a much greater emphasis on this program. We've only got five men's sports here (really 4 as T&F is not really a spectator event) and they should each be nationally recognized. Baseball is. Soccer is. Football is (maybe not for all the right reasons) and Basketball is not.

If we could somehow manage a bowl game and hoops finish in the upper half of the conference, I think it would have been a perfect year (I know, duck). But that's my opinion.

p.s. I don't know for a fact we would have hosted for soccer, maybe we didn't bid or maybe we were slighted. Really doesn't matter. but next year we should go in with the expectation that we are hosting and plan accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:25 pm   
Golden Panther

CC on point, as always.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:20 pm   
Golden Panther

HooterHater wrote:
CC on point, as always.

Thanks.

FIUFan wrote:
As far as I'm concerned FIU should put a much greater emphasis on this program. We've only got five men's sports here (really 4 as T&F is not really a spectator event) and they should each be nationally recognized. Baseball is. Soccer is. Football is (maybe not for all the right reasons) and Basketball is not.

If we could somehow manage a bowl game and hoops finish in the upper half of the conference, I think it would have been a perfect year (I know, duck). But that's my opinion.

p.s. I don't know for a fact we would have hosted for soccer, maybe we didn't bid or maybe we were slighted. Really doesn't matter. but next year we should go in with the expectation that we are hosting and plan accordingly.

I agree on the emphasis. Especially when you consider that Miami doesn't have a men's soccer program. That's the one men's sport FIU has that Miami doesn't. FIU really should take more advantage of that.

I suspect FIU didn't bid, to be honest. If that's the case, it's almost certainly because of the facility. Can't see any other reason not to do that. But I also don't see any reason you couldn't bid and then hold the game at the football stadium. Might be better that way, actually, because I suspect the crowd would be pretty good for the game.

The Northridge game was the only one I covered as a student where the stands were at least 80% full. I believe the crowd was in the thousands when FIU hosted a few playoff games during the 1996 run. Seems like a perfect opportunity to gin up interest in FIU soccer and show off the fact the football stadium is soccer-capable... but that's just me, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:37 pm   
Golden Panther

Anyone notice that the back of the Soccer jerseys have "Miami" written at the top?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:18 pm   
Site Admin

I did, I think it's pretty cool, and I'm sure the fact that the hurricanes don't have a team has a lot to do with that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:28 pm   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
Anyone notice that the back of the Soccer jerseys have "Miami" written at the top?

Yep. Southpaw is starting to get through. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:44 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUFan wrote:
pikedanny wrote:

Yep. Southpaw is starting to get through. :lol:

I noticed it, too.

Maybe this isn't the wisest thing to say considering his shaky status on the board these days... but in a weird way, that does prove Southpaw's point about the FIU name, does it not?

I'm not gonna go to near the level he does, but truthfully, there's a lot of merit to the "name" argument. God knows I've always had to explain to people about FIU whenever I talk about my college days. I had to do it several times when working at IMG College as a studio host and we were PAID to know about college sports. Frankly, it was annoying. Especially when people confused it with FAU.

Having said that... there's also some real large issues with a name change and he never talked about that. There's political ramifications there. Not to mention the actual cost of re-naming or creating new signs for $$$$ near everything at the school. All the man-hours involved alone would be a big chunk of change for a school already tight on the budget.

If it hasn't been done already - and if there's the money to do it - FIU probably should do a name-change study to see how that might play out. I would be interested in reading it, personally.

FIUPantherFan wrote:
I did, I think it's pretty cool, and I'm sure the fact that the hurricanes don't have a team has a lot to do with that.

Maybe so. Then again, maybe not. In all honestly, you'd never see it unless you're watching on TV or got up-close to a player.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:55 pm   
Cougar

The name Miami, conjures up so many good things like: sun, sand, surf and of course women. However, the name FIU is not a negative, or positive. But it does not conjure up the same images nor has the same impact, the name Miami would. I know for some, this is “beating a dead horse”, but as we all know FIU continues to be a school that nationally and internationally struggles to gain traction on the academic and college sports stage . However, changing the school’s name to “Miami University or Miami International University” (like both names btw) will not be a cure all for the college, but it’s a nice start. I wish President Rosenberg and the board of trustees would commission a study to see if a name change is possible and feasible. I for one would be on board for that study.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:49 am   
Golden Panther

Katar1 wrote:
The name Miami, conjures up so many good things like: sun, sand, surf and of course women. However, the name FIU is not a negative, or positive. But it does not conjure up the same images nor has the same impact, the name Miami would. I know for some, this is “beating a dead horse”, but as we all know FIU continues to be a school that nationally and internationally struggles to gain traction on the academic and college sports stage . However, changing the school’s name to “Miami University or Miami International University” (like both names btw) will not be a cure all for the college, but it’s a nice start. I wish President Rosenberg and the board of trustees would commission a study to see if a name change is possible and feasible. I for one would be on board for that study.

Can't do Miami University. That's already taken. Miami of Ohio. Besides, it'd be too confusing with University of Miami. Canes would fight that tooth and nail for sure.

Miami International... eh. I think the International part probably hurts more than it helps, though MIU would certainly be as unique as FIU is. I don't know what the purpose would be of keeping it. Seems unnecessary. Also, State sounds more big-time college and that's a factor you can't ignore.

The "Miami" imagery and impact you pointed out is dead on. That's the reason I think a name change might be worth it. I'd say that applies more for the local community as a pride thing, if you will. I don't think most of the USA or the world would see that much of a difference (or care) between Miami State (just as an example) and FIU, though at least with the former, they'd know the school is in Miami.

To me... if you make a change, it should be primarily to motivate the natives (many of whom are also alums) and gain more financial and emotional support, especially with Athletics. If it helps the school nationally or internationally, that's a bonus, but I don't think that should be the primary goal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:55 pm   
Cougar

Golden Panther, you are wiser beyond your years...... But, thanks for agreeing with me hopefully others on the board see the logic. However, Miami State University (MSU) does have a nice ring to it. It gives us a link with the city and state, which bonds us to both. The marketing opportunities are endless, for FIU. But, again, it would take a lot of work and a lot of money. The will and money at FIU are hard to come by sometimes.

However, if college sold it as an issue, that we can coexist with UM, and plus, enhance the image of the city at the sometime, then it would be a big win. The critics will say “FIU wants to be UM”, that school of thought we have to change if we are going to be successful. There are challenges, as we all know. The change would enable us to market the school to people that confuse us with our sister school FAU, which happens all the time.

We need to reach out to the President Rosenberg and the board of trustees, and also, state leaders. I know it’s not going to happen overnight, but we have to start somewhere.But again, a change is needed for the school, students, alumni and faculty. First, have we have to win over all of those groups, who may or may not see the need for the name change or have the 305 Miami pride.

I have a short story, when Wayne Huizenga owned the Florida Marlins, was asked “why doesn’t he change the name to Miami Marlins”? This was a suggestion that got shot down real quick. In his eyes the negative outweighed the positive. But, as we all know now, the team is not as good as it was prior to the name change, or when Wayne owned the team. But, the Miami Marlins has a certain "cool factor" to it that the Florida Marlins never had.