It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:10 am

Since no one has done this yet...

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:56 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 911
Location: Jacksonville, FL
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colle ... 10212.html

If this is true, Chinn's career is toast. Berg should probably be fired, too. Maybe PG becomes a casualty as well.

This simply can't be tolerated. FIU better get on this pronto.

Nice work here by DJN, I must say.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:09 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 12:46 pm
Posts: 774
Location: Miami Fl
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5944

it was on the general board


Top
 Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 911
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Oh. I guess that explains it. Thanks, Roman.

Having said that... this is the basketball forum... would seem to make more sense here... but whatever.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:21 am   
Cougar

Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 pm
Posts: 146
I agree with everything you're said, but if you have heard the latest from FIU blue and gold spin team? It seems their making Feagin, the bad girl, in this. It is not good P.R. to drag her name though the mud. I have to wonder who's running the zoo. It's really not a good idea to put, Fagin’s misdeeds on display for all to see, and read about. This move puts the school on offense,which will blow up in their faces....


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:28 am   
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 4474
So, you would rather the school appear to have retaliated on her by suspending her for "reporting harassment allegations" than to know that she was previously suspended. You understand how the herald spun her suspension, and not just them the general public spun her suspension as the victim who reports harassment and she's the one that's punished.


Katar1 wrote:
I agree with everything you're said, but if you have heard the latest from FIU blue and gold spin team? It seems their making Feagin, the bad girl, in this. It is not good P.R. to drag her name though the mud. I have to wonder who's running the zoo. It's really not a good idea to put, Fagin’s misdeeds on display for all to see, and read about. This move puts the school on offense,which will blow up in their faces....


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:42 am   
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 4474
I work at a company where I wear many hats. One of them is HR. Why should Berg be fired? Because she didn't develop voice recognition expertise and determine right away that the voice on a VM is chinn's? Because she didn't react to an email from a teammate that can easily be sent by leaving a phone or a computer unlocked? Of course she didn't react the way that fagin wanted which was immediate action, that's not how HR works. An investigation is the right course of action and needs to be completed before compounding the situation. And for the first time in my life I have to defend PG. How can he control this from happening. A large portion of CEO's in the history of business would have to be fired for letting harassment happen under their watch at one point or another. It happens everywhere and personal responsibility is the only way to deal with it.


Clawing Cancer wrote:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article63710212.html

If this is true, Chinn's career is toast. Berg should probably be fired, too. Maybe PG becomes a casualty as well.

This simply can't be tolerated. FIU better get on this pronto.

Nice work here by DJN, I must say.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:30 am   
Cougar

Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 pm
Posts: 146
I understand, what you're saying, but remember we’re talking about the athletic administration at FIU, the gang that can't get anything right. This could have been handled in a different way. We don’t know the full story yet, but we do know this, that she did report it to Berg, and she didn’t take the necessary steps.

The 1st step, should have been to make certain that Coach Chinn was removed from the team and all access to the team and the school withdrawn until further notice. The 2nd step would have been to make sure Destini Feagin was safe and secure. The 3rd step would have been to get PG involved to hold a meeting and alert President Rosenberg. The 4th step would have been to keep in touch with Feagin, at all times. The 5th step would hold a meeting with the President Rosenberg PG, Berg, legal and public relations. The 6th step would be to draft a press release. About what happened and what steps the school is taking to investigate the accusation.

But other points, that I think that we all need to consider, Rosenberg, found out by running into her at a game. Again, it’s not good to have the president of the school to discover this was going on from the person involved.
Remember FIU is part of the “its On Us campaign”. The campaign is protecting victims of sexual abuse and harassment. This flies in the face of all of that, and makes the college look bad really bad.

P.S. I can assure you the next step will be a law suit against FIU and the coach, believe me its coming.

P.P.S. Anyone in HR, is full of lies, and does nothing to help the person impact only the company and the brand…. There so called investigations, are nothing more than a witch hunt and a cover up. Therefore, please don’t preach about your background in that line of work, because it’s nothing to be proud of.

“Drops mic, cut lights and leaves room”!!!


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:08 am   
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 4474
No, the first step is to investigate the situation. anyone can say anything about someone else, you don't just go and suspend them. Heck, Faagin was accused of theft 7 days before her suspension. And the other point you need to consider is that you don't know what steps FIU took beyond what you've read in the Herald which I've already proven has a vested interest in making this story as salacious as possible (more than it already is).

Lastly, anyone in HR is looking out for their employer just like any employee should be. I don't need to preach about anything, your ignorance as to who they protect speaks to your intelligence not anyone else.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:07 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:48 pm
Posts: 1140
Location: GA
As PantherFan said, the initial report led one to believe she was suspended after reporting Chinn. As an employer I would not want the public to view my company as one that encourages harassment by retaliating against those that report such harassment. I think FIU's email was sensitive to Feagin while correcting an incorrect perception of the timeline of events.

Quote:
Player alleges coach Marlin Chinn suspended her for refusing sexual advances


Quote:
Feagin and Nicholson assert that Chinn suspended Feagin four games — the rest of the regular season and the first game of the Conference USA tournament, for which FIU holds the lowest seed — as punishment for resisting his sexual advances.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article63334002.html

After FIU's email outline the timeline (theft investigation started 2/15, suspended decision 2/22, suspended 2/23, she reports him 2/25, coach suspension announced 3/1).



Clearly the initial assertion was not true.
Would we have known that if FIU did not respond? I don't think so.
Is this guy a predator? Hopefully the investigation will provide us with the answer.

_________________
2010 Sunbelt Conference Baseball Champion
2010 Sunbelt Conference Football Champion
2010 Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl Champion


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:31 pm   
Cougar

Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:33 am
Posts: 104
All I know is that she has him on audio (legal or not) saying things that clearly make him guilty and unprofessional. And how does the president find out? When he sees her at a basketball game. PG should have went to him and they should have all sat down before this story got to the herald.

Pete Garcia needs to be fired for the way he runs the athletic department. He clearly doesn't give a $$$$ about his players.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:48 pm   
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 4474
You "know"? You heard the audio and are a voice expert and determined this?
Sexpanther1029 wrote:
All I know is that she has him on audio (legal or not) saying things that clearly make him guilty and unprofessional. And how does the president find out? When he sees her at a basketball game. PG should have went to him and they should have all sat down before this story got to the herald.

Pete Garcia needs to be fired for the way he runs the athletic department. He clearly doesn't give a $$$$ about his players.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:22 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:48 pm
Posts: 1140
Location: GA
Sexpanther1029 wrote:
All I know is that she has him on audio (legal or not) saying things that clearly make him guilty and unprofessional. And how does the president find out? When he sees her at a basketball game. PG should have went to him and they should have all sat down before this story got to the herald.

Pete Garcia needs to be fired for the way he runs the athletic department. He clearly doesn't give a $$$$ about his players.


Sorry Sexpanther1029, your approach sounds more like an attempt at a cover up. If the investigation shows Coach Chinn is a pervert, fire his a$$ regardless of the political fallout. Nothing to sit down and discuss, policy should already be in place to handle situations like that.

I have not heard or read anything (so far) in defense of Coach Chinn and the harassment accusation. What FIU did was simply share the fact that the disciplinary actions taken against Feagin was not a result of her coming forward with the information.

_________________
2010 Sunbelt Conference Baseball Champion
2010 Sunbelt Conference Football Champion
2010 Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl Champion


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:59 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 911
Location: Jacksonville, FL
FIUPantherFan wrote:
I work at a company where I wear many hats. One of them is HR. Why should Berg be fired? Because she didn't develop voice recognition expertise and determine right away that the voice on a VM is chinn's? Because she didn't react to an email from a teammate that can easily be sent by leaving a phone or a computer unlocked? Of course she didn't react the way that fagin wanted which was immediate action, that's not how HR works. An investigation is the right course of action and needs to be completed before compounding the situation. And for the first time in my life I have to defend PG. How can he control this from happening. A large portion of CEO's in the history of business would have to be fired for letting harassment happen under their watch at one point or another. It happens everywhere and personal responsibility is the only way to deal with it.

Clawing Cancer wrote:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article63710212.html

If this is true, Chinn's career is toast. Berg should probably be fired, too. Maybe PG becomes a casualty as well.

This simply can't be tolerated. FIU better get on this pronto.

Nice work here by DJN, I must say.


I said "probably", for the record. And I would say it's because she was clearly avoiding Feagin when she was trying to report it. (That's assuming the investigation holds that part up to be true.) I get waiting to get the facts in and I get not going knee-jerk, but when it comes to sexual harassment, that's not the kind of thing you should be waiting to report or trying to avoid. Her "indifference" - if that part's also true - also needs to be addressed.

As for PG... I wouldn't say specifically that he gets fired for this... I do agree with your point there... but I have to think that this is just another straw on the camel's back on top of all the other issues he's had at FIU. He hired this guy. There's no way around that. I would have to think that it impacts PG's contract status, at the very least, if Chinn gets run out of town on a rail.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:22 pm   
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 4474
I agree that she seemed to be avoiding her responsibilities and that is a problem. Not a fireball offense but a clear demerit. The 2nd point I wholeheartedly agree with you. PG should be fired for not doing the #1 job assigned to an AD. Hiring the right people. Cristobal, Turner, Thomas (basketball), Evans ?, Chinn, Thomas (baseball). Complete failures.
Clawing Cancer wrote:
FIUPantherFan wrote:
I work at a company where I wear many hats. One of them is HR. Why should Berg be fired? Because she didn't develop voice recognition expertise and determine right away that the voice on a VM is chinn's? Because she didn't react to an email from a teammate that can easily be sent by leaving a phone or a computer unlocked? Of course she didn't react the way that fagin wanted which was immediate action, that's not how HR works. An investigation is the right course of action and needs to be completed before compounding the situation. And for the first time in my life I have to defend PG. How can he control this from happening. A large portion of CEO's in the history of business would have to be fired for letting harassment happen under their watch at one point or another. It happens everywhere and personal responsibility is the only way to deal with it.

Clawing Cancer wrote:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article63710212.html

If this is true, Chinn's career is toast. Berg should probably be fired, too. Maybe PG becomes a casualty as well.

This simply can't be tolerated. FIU better get on this pronto.

Nice work here by DJN, I must say.


I said "probably", for the record. And I would say it's because she was clearly avoiding Feagin when she was trying to report it. (That's assuming the investigation holds that part up to be true.) I get waiting to get the facts in and I get not going knee-jerk, but when it comes to sexual harassment, that's not the kind of thing you should be waiting to report or trying to avoid. Her "indifference" - if that part's also true - also needs to be addressed.

As for PG... I wouldn't say specifically that he gets fired for this... I do agree with your point there... but I have to think that this is just another straw on the camel's back on top of all the other issues he's had at FIU. He hired this guy. There's no way around that. I would have to think that it impacts PG's contract status, at the very least, if Chinn gets run out of town on a rail.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:00 pm   
Cougar

Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 pm
Posts: 146
“I have walked in, turned on the lights and picked up the mic”

Please allow me to state my case; the reason Coach Marlin Chinn, should have been removed, is rather simple. The liability he exposes the school to, is enormous.

(1), He could have intimidated other players on the team and members of his own staff.
(2) It does not look good to have him walking around the “Lime Court “.
(3) Plus, he may be peppered with questions from the media; (ESPN) has interviewed David Neal from the Miami Herald about this incident.
(4) The accused and the accuser should not be in 100 feet of each other in other words; “Chinn has to take one for the team”.
(5) Berg and PG, needed to make certain that Feagin did not feel discarded or unsafe, while this issue is under review; but as we both know, that may or may not be the case.
(6) I wanted to refresh everyone’s memory regarding FIU baseball player Garrett Wittels and their handling of that matter.
(7) He was accessed of rape in the Bahamas by some girls.
(8) In the mist of this he was chasing one of the epic hitting streaks in college baseball.
(9) The media circles that surrounded him during this streak was a boon for FIU.
(10) He was on the local and national news outlets; one could not buy this sort of press.
(11) However, after this came to light, the athletic department, held a press conference and it was a disaster, “YouTube it”.
(12) I and some others on this board don’t trust PG and his team to screw in a light bulb, while standing on a ladder.
(13) President Rosenberg should take this all into consideration, with reviewing Pete’s contract with the university.
(14) I hate to say this but, if we can use this to push PG and the rest of his team out, so much the better. There may be casualties along the way, so be it, as someone once said: “the means justify the ends”.


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Style originally created by Volize © 2003 • Redesigned SkyLine by MartectX © 2008 - 2009