View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:33 pm   
Puma

8 Football Wins with Post-season Success
20 Basketball Wins with Post-season Success
40 Baseball Wins with Post-season Success
X 3 seasons

1 – Do you agree? If not, how would you change the formula?
2- With Mario, Isaiah and Turtle in place, can we do this?

Looking fwd to your feedback…gpantera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:47 pm   
Juvenile Panther

No chance anytime in the near future. Even if FIU does have plus .500 seasons in all major sports there is a long way to go. The Big East would be crazy to give FIU entrance. Here are some more reasons why:

1) FIUs "realistic" average football attendance the past few years is no more than 2000-3000 people. Big East average is greater than 45,000 I would imagine. FIU stadium = 20,000 and can't sell out first game ever in new stadium.
2) Football team = 5 wins past 3 years. I dont think FIU has ever beat a team in the BCS conferences.
3) FIUs "realistic" basketball attendance the past few years is no more than 200-300 people. Big East is possibly the best conference in the country for basketball. FIU would not win a game in that conference.
4) Baseball would be the only argument, however they haven't been .500 the past few years either with attendance around 100 per game.
5) No band. Probably the only Div. I school in the country without one.
6) No cheerleaders. See #5
7) Lack of Facilities. Probably one of the worst set of facilities in all of Division I.
8) Support. There really isn't much right now from alumni. Football at Big East schools such as WVU and Pitt is 100 times different than at FIU.

Overall no need to move conferences until FIU is able to be at the top of the sunbelt. We are not even close. The new coaches have improved the teams but really havent proven too much yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:21 pm   
Golden Panther

Welcome to the board. In principle, I agree with you that we are far away from joining that type of conference. In fact, I believe we can stay and make the Sun Belt a better overall conference, since the dreams of getting to such a confence is too far away right now. However, I am quite certain some...if not all...your "realistic" attendance numbers are way too undercounted in my opinion.

Your point #2 is erroneous. FIU won 5 games LAST season...and 1 game the one before, for a total of 6 wins in 2 years.

Also, remember that your point #6 is wrong...There is a cheerleading team for next season. Also, I expect that #5 (the band) is only a temporary thing, not forever, so maybe that is another excuse to lower expectations, and you don't know if in 3, 4 or 5 years it will be reinstated.

#4..again, check your stats. FIU baseball had a 34-23 record last season. (over .500).

#7. Your "lack of facilities" comment is mind boggling in itself, if you really mean FIU has the worst facilities in all of D-1. Have you seen the other 340+ facilities to make such an absurd comment? Do you know FIU is just inaugurating a really state-of-the art fieldhouse with a stunning 15,000 square foot weight room included for all sports? Have you seen our baseball stadium compared to many others? I agree our arena is small and outdated....but the worst? The training room behind the USCBA is also huge, new, state of the art...a lot more than UM's by the way.

However, if I take away some of these misstatements and erroneous information you posted, I would mostly agree with the contention FIU has to wait a little bit for that to happen, if at all. We need to grow our fan base, and win more consistently.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:27 pm   
Puma

chapsrl13,

Thank you for your interest in engaging in this discussion.

My first read of your points smack of an anti-FIU bent.
A second read confirms it.

But let's not allow your bent detract us from moving fwd. After all, I have an admitted pro-FIU bent.

The fundamental difference in our analysis is that our perspectives are facing in opposite directions. You choose to quote the past by looking backwards. I won’t' argue the past. It was what it was. I, on the other hand, am encouraged about what is going on at FIU now and which way the trends are pointing.

The undisputable facts are:

FIU football is +4 year over year
FIU baseball is +14 year over year
FIU basketball is landing a caliber of recruit never seen before by our program.

In terms of facilities, you need to go check out the new field-hosue on August 20th at 6 PM. It's one of the most impressive athletic structures you've ever seen outside of the athletic behemoths such as UF.

Also, of the 16 schools in the Big East, FIU's 39,146 students would make it the second largest student body in the Big East. Before you say, "well FIU is a commuter school," educate yourself about the University of Cincinnati’s profile. They have multiple campuses scattered throughout a regional area…not exactly traditional.

I believe the band and cheerleaders are back which nullifies your point there.

Looking fwd to seeing you at an FIU athletic event soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:49 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Im certainely not against FIU by any means. As a matter of fact I am a supporter and attend several games in these 3 sports (along w/others) each year. I do stand corrected on a couple points that I had (i.e. 6 wins in past 3 years in football) however I don't think I am off regarding attendance. There were some basketball games last year that I could count in 35 seconds all the people in the stands. No more than 100-200 people. In football there was a decent crowd at the first game however it was no more than a few thousand afterwards. The attendance in the box scores are all blown up a bit. Regarding cheerleading and band...thank student government (if i am not mistaken) for saving them (cheerleading). Band, as I understand, is still a no-go for next year.

While there are cases to be made for joining a bigger conference such as school population, big city, etc... there are just too many reasons why no larger conference will want FIU YET. I do believe if all goes well that a future move may take place, there is no reason to believe it will be in the near future. FIU needs to prove it can win the sunbelt first.

Regarding our facilities, I have lived all over this country and attended many different events at many different universities (several in fact in the Big East) and while our new facility may be nice, it does not compare to what Cincy, WVU, Pitt has. Have you seen the arena gym floor? Its old and has a big block in the middle. Take a look at our soccer, tennis and softball fields/courts and compare them to most other Div. I schools. You will see a big difference for the most part.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:39 am   
Puma

chapsrl13,

Your second entry does not have that same pungent anti-FIU stench that defined your first entry. That's good.

You still hold a glass-half-empty view of FIU and that's your prerogative.

In terms of facilities, i'm not comparing FIU's softball field or tennis court to the lead softball and tennis programs in the nation. Besides, i'm not convinced that the condition of the facilities for the non-revenue sports is the determining factor in conference affiliation.

By the way, have you been to a Duke basketball game? How does their basketball arena compare to Syracuse's Carrier Dome? It's apple vs. oranges yet both have top tier D1 basketball programs. If FIU produces the formula I propose, Sun Belt Conf. Championships will be a natural consequence. Combine that with our student and alumni populations + an attractive market, and all of sudden a compelling arguement for FIU starts to emerge.

I'm just sayin' --- in the end, we agree on one thing. Let's get after it in the Sun Belt and the future will take care of itself.

Go FIU Panthers!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:19 am   
Puma

You have to add attendance figures into your formula somehow, and that might be the most difficult and time-consuming obstacle that FIU faces... look, I love Miami... but this city stinks when it comes to fan support and attendance. We still have to shake off the stigma that we have been stuck with. We are well on our way to doing that, but we have GOT to sell out our football games... EVERY game. We only have 20,000+ seats to fill right now... if we can't do that, then we got problems. We need to target and market the Miami area to and fro and make darn sure they know we mean business ad that the old FIU image is gone and the new FIU image is here to stay. But first, we gotta WIN. That is how you get into the "hearts" of Miami fans.

In basketball... downright pathetic attendance. I was there at most games last season. It was pitiful. I don't care how bad we are. Average attendance of about 700?? We need to AT LEAST average 1,500. AT LEAST!! With Isiah Thomas in that gym, we need to sell out the place. Better yet, we should be able to say that demand is just WAY too high and we have to tear that sucker down and build a new state-of-the-art basketball arena paid off mostly by TV revenues and private donations (I can dream, right?).

Baseball... guys... last season was the biggest turnaround in FIU baseball history and very, very few people saw. It was ridiculous! What was the average attendance? Where was the crowd's excitement? This has gotta change, and I'm calling out the fraternities and sororities here... WHERE WERE THESE GUYS WHEN BASKETBALL AND BASEBALL SEASON STARTED? I was there almost all season long for baseball, and only a handful of times did I even remotely see a Greek presence at those games. Same for basketball. What gives? These guys are supposed to promote school spirit among the student body yet they only show up to 1 of the 3 big revenue sports? I hope they step it up this year, because I honestly believe that non-Greeks will follow their example if they come out to games and see an exciting atmosphere at these events.

I think attendance has to be a major factor here. We have to show that we rival BCS schools in terms of attendance before we can go anywhere.

Listen to Panther Sports Talk Live on Radiate FM and FIUSM.com on Mon, Wed and Fri from 10-11 a.m.! Call in at 305-FIU-3575!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:33 am   
Golden Panther

My girlfriend and I went to at least one game every series in Baseball. But, I didn't wear my letters or anything. I dragged some brothers out to a few of the games. All it takes is a small group of people to motivate the intire organization.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:50 am   
Puma

pikedanny wrote:
My girlfriend and I went to at least one game every series in Baseball. But, I didn't wear my letters or anything. I dragged some brothers out to a few of the games. All it takes is a small group of people to motivate the intire organization.

That's what I'm talking about. And if the entire organization of Greeks came out motivated at as many games possible for both baseball and basketball?? Imagine the kind of atmosphere would be created! THAT'S the kind of thing that brings excitement and fosters curiousity among those who aren't attending. They should be as motivated and excited about the direction of our atheletics as we are here! But sadly, it seems that a majority of them are not. It all starts with word-of-mouth.

Listen to Panther Sports Talk Live on Radiate FM and FIUSM.com on Mon, Wed and Fri from 10-11 a.m.! Call in at 305-FIU-3575!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:00 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I have a not so original idea, Im my calc class last semester my professor told us that if we showed up to the USF football game that she would add extra credit to our test. Half the class ended up at the game. I think this is a good idea cause this way it exposes the awesome atmosphere that is FIU football to those that probably wouldnt have gone to a game. Same goes for every other sport. Just my two cents

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:05 pm   
Puma

I actually like that idea a lot... music classes and theatre classes sometimes require students to attend a play or concert of some kind on campus. Why not offer extra credit for attending a game of some sort?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:40 pm   
Juvenile Panther

chapsrl13 wrote:
Im certainely not against FIU by any means. As a matter of fact I am a supporter and attend several games in these 3 sports (along w/others) each year. I do stand corrected on a couple points that I had (i.e. 6 wins in past 3 years in football) however I don't think I am off regarding attendance. There were some basketball games last year that I could count in 35 seconds all the people in the stands. No more than 100-200 people. In football there was a decent crowd at the first game however it was no more than a few thousand afterwards. The attendance in the box scores are all blown up a bit. Regarding cheerleading and band...thank student government (if i am not mistaken) for saving them (cheerleading). Band, as I understand, is still a no-go for next year.

While there are cases to be made for joining a bigger conference such as school population, big city, etc... there are just too many reasons why no larger conference will want FIU YET. I do believe if all goes well that a future move may take place, there is no reason to believe it will be in the near future. FIU needs to prove it can win the sunbelt first.

Regarding our facilities, I have lived all over this country and attended many different events at many different universities (several in fact in the Big East) and while our new facility may be nice, it does not compare to what Cincy, WVU, Pitt has. Have you seen the arena gym floor? Its old and has a big block in the middle. Take a look at our soccer, tennis and softball fields/courts and compare them to most other Div. I schools. You will see a big difference for the most part.

Until FIU dominates the Belt across the board and builds a legitimate fan base (i.e Alumni $$$)...then this can become a conversation...way too many programs out there well above the D1 status (fans, $$$, wins) of FIU that are not even considered for a BCS conference... but you have to start somewhere and the success of the football program will have a huge impact on the future of the athletic department…

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:25 pm   
Golden Panther

This all boils down to FIU's geographic location. An invitation to the BIG EAST will be different than any other invite in the past. You can argue all the semantics.....Bottom line, if our teams can compete with programs outside the Sun Belt, the BIG EAST would be silly to not give us an invite. The conference revenue sharing $$$$ is a BIG DEAL. TV contracts, merchandise, bowl games, hoops conference tourney etc...This decision will solely be based on $$$$$$$$$$$$, nothing else.

Hypothetically, we could get an invite to join in whenever ?? . Football and Hoops attendance would increase immediately. The home schedule becomes more compelling, we would be competing at the highest level of NCAA sports and the BIG EAST would love to bring teams down here on a routine basis and take even more market share away from UCG.

There are more transplants in South Florida from Big East schools than the ACC. ***The basketball members are big draws alone without considering the impact of the football schools coming down to Miami to play us. FIU offers a huge TV/Media market and the BIG EAST revenue sharing will improve FIU Athletics in very short order.

***Nobody on this board or in the media saw Zeke coming here..........and most of us are assuming the rules or precedent for Big East admittance are the same for FIU. I disagree. ***The only reason we have Isiah is because BBall is where we can improve the fastest and make our case. Everything else will just fall into place.

MARK IT DOWN.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:42 pm   
Puma

This is way down the line... I don't even know if the Big East is even looking to expand and even if they are, I haven't heard one peep from anywhere or anything mentioning "Big East" and "FIU" in the same sentence... as of this moment, it is all just talk. If we want to organize petitition (and I mean a REAL petition, not one of these online things...) and get at least 15,000 signatures and/or letters from the student body and then add signatures from the alumni base to make our case to the Big East, that might get their attention and the attention of the community, generating buzz. BUT until something of that magnitude happens, we need to focus on what we can control right now: winning Sun Belt championships in football, basketball and baseball on a regular basis, increasing attendance in ALL of those sports, and continuing to improve our existing facilities and build better ones, and helping make the Sunbelt (which is growing and improving, we are in a good conference) more nationally recognizable and respectable.

Bottomline: we just aren't ready to make a jump to the Big East yet. We would just be taking a huge step backwards. Dreaming big is great, and I want to see us in the Big East, but let's take it one step at a time on the way there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:28 pm   
Puma

Okay the way I see it, we gotta create buzz and get our name out there. The web is a great way to get the conversation started and connecting with Big East fans and making our case and getting them talking about FIU. This link is a message board frequently used by Big East fans and is geared towards talking about Expansion/Split of the conference: http://ncaabbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=637

I posted a topic about FIU and why they should keep an eye on us for expansion. Here's what I posted:

Quote:
Now I know there's talk of possible expansion in the Big East, and I just wanted to throw FIU's name into the mix... now let's get a few things straight, right off the bat: I am not saying that we are ready for your conference right now, because we are not. I am simply trying to state our potential for the Big East, what we are trying to build, and where we are headed warrants Big East consideration. We have a lot to offer, and although it might be a little farther down the line, we would make a great addition to your conference.

1. We are in Miami. There is a way for the Big East to get back into the Miami market, and it is potentially even in a bigger way than UM could have ever offered you. We have a student body of 40,000 and a brand-new on-campus stadium that will be expanded to accomodate 45,000 in the near future. Another interesting fact: 1/2 of all college graduates in Miami are FIU graduates. WHEN (not if) FIU gets the support of those people, our fan base will end up dwarfing UM's. And I'm sure there is nothing that the Big East would like to do more than get back at UM for jumping ship.

Plus, we all know how rich the South Florida area is for recruits. Playing FIU on a regular bases gives your teams a gateway into Miami and an opportunity for kids to see your teams on a regular basis.

2. We are committing ourselves to building quality sports programs. We've had our share of mishaps, but we are finally heading in the right direction since Pete Garcia took over in '06. Our football program is now poised to take flight in the Sun Belt after struggling in '06 and '07. Mario Cristobal is probably thr best up-and-coming coaches in the nation and he's going to take FIU very far. In basketball, everyone knows we just hired Isiah Thomas as our new head coach, and he has already made big waves on the recruiting trail. With the way he is recruiting, we can hopefully pass Western Kentucky in the Belt and become the "Memphis of the Sunbelt". In baseball, Coach Turtle Thomas has taken a team that once had two-time World Series Champion Mike Lowell and has righted the ship. Last season, the team made a 14-game improvement and recruited one of the best classes in the nation.

As you can see, it'll take a couple years before we have conference championships under our belts, but we are well on our way. And with the type of success we will have, you can get FIU alumni and students will come out and watch these teams in droves.

3. We are playing a home-and-home series with Rutgers and Lousiville already scheduled and we have already played USF the past two seasons, trying to get ourselves familiar with the teams in your conference and prove that we can be competitive. We are not afraid to play anybody, but we demand respect. Now we only schedule teams that agree to home-and-home series. No more money games. No more 2 or 3-for-1's. We are serious about fielding top level athletics. We are talking with UF and FSU about scheduling home-and-home series.

On another interesting note, we scheduled a 2-for-2 series with UCF starting in 2010 in Orlando and hopefully we can open some eyes as to who is the best school in Florida to keep an eye on for expansion (although having USF, UCF and FIU in the Big East would be a great scenario, IMHO. I feel like state rivalries should be embraced and these three teams can benefit from being in the same conference and playing against each other) in the Big East.

-------------

I only want to trigger discussion and hopefully help you all become more aware of what FIU is all about, where we are going and why we feel that we can be seriously considered for expansion. Looking forward to the discussion!

Feel free to join in and add to what I put so we can start putting up a good argument for FIU and get these guys thinking. GO FIU!!