UCF #176
NOVA #214

Unranked:
Barry
FAMU
FAU
University of West Florida
FIU

Horrible to know my degree is associated with top notch institutions like Barry and UWF. Nova and FIT made the rankings for the first time. SMH.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:14 am   
Juvenile Panther

These rankings usually have 4 year graduation rate as a large chunk of the math. A lot of our students take 5 years or more to graduate. Besides, our business, law and med school are top ranked. Dont stress

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:31 pm   
Golden Panther

weekend_warrior wrote:
These rankings usually have 4 year graduation rate as a large chunk of the math. A lot of our students take 5 years or more to graduate. Besides, our business, law and med school are top ranked. Dont stress

According to US News, our four year average graduation rate is actually higher than FIT and NOVA. Despite this, we are once again unranked and FIT & Nova were ranked. We are also more selective than most other schools as well, although not as much as years past as our reputation for being a diploma mill strengthens.

The only reputable academics we spotlight is our International Business program, ranked #4 in the entire country. Everything else is mediocre at best. I do give credit where its due, and out Law school has done more in five years than FIU has done in fifty. Don't get too excited about our medical program, just saw some FIU students at Leon Medical Center who barely spoke English. True story.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:59 pm   
Puma

The worst, to me, is Nova. They truly were a diploma mill. As long as you had a pulse in your body and money to pay for the degree, you were accepted.

All this talk that FIU is on the rise, just shows you a lot of us are drinking kool-aide when we really shouldn't be.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:11 pm   
Juvenile Panther

With the Neighborhood HELP program, early experience and STEP 1 scores that are a standard deviation above the national average, FIU medical school was one of the better ones Ive seen. And as for barely speaking english, who cares? Theyll probably never leave Miami anyway lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:14 pm   
Golden Panther

weekend_warrior wrote:
...as for barely speaking english, who cares...

This snippet sums everything up nicely. Mierda.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:57 am   
Puma

I think President Rosenberg has the wrong idea of making a FIU a 60k student university, FIU has so much potential especially with its location and staff. I had professors that taught at both universities and with identical syllabuses. I actually liked my classes at FIU because the student body had a chip on their shoulder and with a good amount of competition. The University of Miami just felt like an independent studies class with easier accessibility to professors.

Another thing hindering FIU is their complacency with commuter students. They don't hunt national students aggressively or advertise as much in different regional areas. It feels that the university is ok with their pipeline with Miami Dade College and feel that those numbers are enough to get them through.

I know a few people that work internationally with an FIU degree and they are doing pretty well for themselves. I think FIU needs to get out of the Miami box and go further than Broward. I do remember Coach Davis's speech on how there is 200k alumn here in South Florida.

If FIU could bring down more northern kids that truly see the value of FIU then it would be competing with other state schools .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:32 am   
Golden Panther

I get it that FIU thinks their mission is to award degrees to local people who might otherwise have no chance to attend college. That reputation, however, doesn't do much for the value of said degree once you have it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:02 pm   
Golden Panther

panther97 wrote:
I get it that FIU thinks their mission is to award degrees to local people who might otherwise have no chance to attend college. That reputation, however, doesn't do much for the value of said degree once you have it.

That is supposed to mean helping people who might otherwise have no chance to attend college because of the cost, not because they couldn't get in. Madique got that. Rosenberg has been failing in many areas since taking over.

The GPAs and SAT score of our freshman have always been very strong and led the state on several occasions. We also get some good students from Miami-Dade but we get a lot of folks that hurt the rankings and take forever to graduate.

When I was at FIU In the 90's there were 2 FIUs:
A. 8,000 to 10,000 traditional and FT returning students/ transfers. Some lived on campus. Many of who got active on campus clubs or intramural, joined frats and sororities, came to some campus events. Some lived on campus or close by. Still not always built in audience for FIU things because South Beach and the Grove were always calling but you can work with this group, they have the spare time.

B. Another 15,000 to 20,000 part-time student who only came in after 5pm and we never saw or met. Did not get involved with any FIU activities because it was just a something they did to advance their careers. Most already had kids and families.

As long as we have that imbalance this will be an issue. Rosenberg needs to focus on getting more of Group A to improve the schools academics, campus life, sports attendance and FIU's bank account in the long run. Group A is where the most of the people who have the emotional connection to FIU come from and will one day be willing to give to FIU.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:13 pm   
Golden Panther

I would say I don't fit easily into either group. I was there mid-90's, mostly part-time, but towards the end, during the day, with a pretty full course load. Just past 30 when I got my degree, so not the traditional demographic. Honestly, not that involved, but in that era, there was next to zero school spirit...if you think now is bad. I had a good group of friends, just don't remember anyone ever wanting to do anything FIU related, outside of studying. I just wanted to support my Alma mater, seeing as it was, you know, my Alma mater. I was buying that football gear before there was even a team. I just don't get why you wouldn't rep the school you graduated from.
I think we're becoming a more traditional university, just going to take a long time. If you read the history of a lot of the "traditional" colleges in Florida, they started out like FIU, and it took decades to build and transform themselves. The big three universities had very humble beginnings. I always laugh when people make fun of our football program and stadium. Look at pictures from the other programs at their inception. And look at gameday attendance pictures of the other schools around Florida when they're having an off year.
As far as Rosenberg and the leadership, every time I hear them talk, I get the impression all they want is for FIU to be, at best, a regional (south florida) University. I don't know if they really have aspirations to challenge the top schools in florida, academically, athletically, or otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:11 am   
Puma

panther97 wrote:
As far as Rosenberg and the leadership, every time I hear them talk, I get the impression all they want is for FIU to be, at best, a regional (south florida) University. I don't know if they really have aspirations to challenge the top schools in florida, academically, athletically, or otherwise.

Truth is told x 1000. This is all they truly do want. Be an extension of Miami-Dade Collge, keep the enrollment extremely high (too high) and no aspiration to be a true nationally known university.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:33 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Rosenberg is merely a professor and a non-forward thinker. Because FIU isn't an ivy league or some D3 Liberal arts college doesn't mean he shouldn't aspire to be texas or ucla. He's not aiming high enough. FIU needs athletics for visibility. he doesn't get that either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:25 am   
Golden Panther

weekend_warrior wrote:

That's 100% false. Most rankings use 6-year graduation rates, including US News.

With US News specifically, the 6-year grad rate accounts for 18% of the overall score. So less than 1/5.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-c ... e-rankings