Sunblazers, baby!!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:02 pm   
Golden Panther

https://news.fiu.edu/2018/04/hey-fiu-ar ... zer/121925

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 pm   
Cougar

Totally onboard with this. Its fun, silly, and there are too many panther teams. Hell, Pitt has the panthers AND the same colors. We dont even need to change the mascot, just have a throwback week and feel it out

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:29 pm   
Golden Panther

Awesome idea! When got into FIU we were Sunblazers, but graduated as a Golden Panther. Just a note, the actual name of the mascot was “Son of a Blazer”, not Sunblazer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:02 am   
Golden Panther

I wish this could happen. Would love for us to have some crazy, distinctive name that sets us apart. That's cool if the current students embrace it. Panthers is just meh, not much imagination. I think people would be more intrigued by what and where a "Sunblazer" is. And I'm dying for one of those shirts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:03 am   
Cougar

panther97 wrote:
I wish this could happen. Would love for us to have some crazy, distinctive name that sets us apart. That's cool if the current students embrace it. Panthers is just meh, not much imagination. I think people would be more intrigued by what and where a "Sunblazer" is. And I'm dying for one of those shirts.

Same. Would we be able to make some without backlash? Maybe via teespring?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:18 pm   
Golden Panther

They should definitely make the switch. There's a gajillion Panther mascots in the NCAA. Not to mention pro sports. I understand why Maidique pushed the name change through back then but times have changed.

Sunblazers is unique as hell. From a merchandising perspective, it's potential gold. Look at minor league teams and how many of them have been switching nicknames to more off-beat names. No reason FIU can't do the same.

It could be a money-winner if FIU starts winning, and it will definitely get a lot of media attention if done right, win or lose.

Don't mean to hijack the thread here... but if you were to combine the mascot change with a name change, it could reinvent the university quickly from a marketing perspective. Personally, I love the idea of Miami State Sunblazers.

weekend_warrior wrote:
panther97 wrote:

Same. Would we be able to make some without backlash? Maybe via teespring?

Probably not, especially if FIU still has copyrights on the Sunblazer logos. Which, honestly, they'd have to re-do. Sunblazers in cursive in front of a sun is really not a good-looking logo. I'm sure FIU's graphics people could really do a bang-up job on a re-do given the chance.

FIU Fanatic wrote:
Awesome idea! When got into FIU we were Sunblazers, but graduated as a Golden Panther. Just a note, the actual name of the mascot was “Son of a Blazer”, not Sunblazer.

That mascot name is the best part, as far as I'm concerned. And the mascot design itself. Especially the face. It kicks Roary's ass. S.O.B. is up there with WKU's Big Red in my eyes. It would probably win a national mascot contest, or at least place well.