It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:44 am

The band is back!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:44 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Quote:
Rionda discusses return of band
By Francisco Maradiaga / Staff WriterPrint E-mail Share Published January 04, 2010 at 04:59 PMComments: 0
University leadership has approved a preliminary plan to bring back the marching band with student government as a major financial backer, according to Anthony Rionda, president of the Student Government Council at Modesto Maidique Campus.

Rionda told Student Media that a viable option emerged after he, University President Mark Rosenberg and University Chief Financial Officer Kenneth Jessell partook in numerous meetings that discussed the logistics and funding of a marching band, and that an official announcement is expected sometime in early January.

“Our goal as of now is a new band with a new image,” Rionda said.

Rionda declined to go into details on how the marching band will be funded, saying that specifics would come with the official announcement.

He did however state that some of the funds were strung together from one-time pockets of money. This money he explained, came from roll-over funds, auxiliary accounts, or from extra money the university may have had after purchases.

Student Media was unable to reach Jessell for comment during the break.

Rionda also mentioned that SGA will contribute $130,000 from Activities and Service fees students pay in tuition to help fund the marching band.

That amount was brought up in the October meeting of the University-wide Council, which is made up of student government leaders from both campuses, where they passed a motion to bring back the band. There is a possibility that SGA will have to dip into its monetary reserves to back up any incidentals that might creep up like a bowl game.

In that is where this new incarnation of the marching band differs from its predecessor, the majority of the funding will come from A&S fees controlled by SGA.

From what Rionda told Student Media, the Athletics Department will not have a funding role with the band, and the College of Architecture and the Arts, where the band will be stationed under, shall have a significantly lesser contribution than it had in the past.

The marching band was eliminated last fiscal year amid a wave of budget cuts. The College of Architecture and the Arts was unable to meet the reported $237,000 it set aside to fund the band. The figure amounted to more than half of its operating budget, the rest was supplied by SGA and the Athletics Department, and dealt a fatal blow to the previous marching band, the Band of the Sun.

Stressing that he did not have the numbers in front of him, Rionda’s interpretation of CARTA’s contribution would be to pay the staff members that would be beyond the scope of student government, and Student Affairs.

“We are not in the business of funding faculty,” he said.

Funding the faculty involved will fall on the doorsteps of CARTA’s Director of Bands Catherine Rand.

It is also expected that CARTA will provide a class that band members would be required to take. The money would in turn go back into the program.

“It’s a lab fee,” Rionda said.

The $130,000 SGA has pledged represents the indispensable lifeline student government will now be for the marching band.

Future bodies of SGA will have to put up an equivalent amount of student money. It would be completely within SGA’s prerogative to decided not to fund in the future, but the loss might prove insurmountable for the marching band. Rionda is betting that no student government will have the audacity not to fund the marching band.

“Something is missing ... It is in the best interest of students to have a band,” Rionda said. “We have all seen what happens when you don’t have it.”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:47 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I like that is says the band will have a "new image", whatever that means. I felt like their attire was not very ascetically pleasing as other bands i have seen around the belt. Hopefully whoever manages the band will learn from all previous mistakes and takes it to a new level. I would love for us to have a 100 member band

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:34 pm   
Golden Panther

PIKE does it again. lol In all seriousness, nice to see Anthony stepping up and using his pull to bring back the band. He is a CLASS ACT.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:44 pm   
Golden Panther

Good news....and maybe they have new leadership as band directors as well....don't know, but really liked the first band director...the sound and numbers back then...a lot more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:12 pm   
Site Admin

I'm guessing he left because he knew what was coming up the pike. But yeah, the last director (Carla Geiger) was useless. I hope she's not back.

FIU Fanatic wrote:
Good news....and maybe they have new leadership as band directors as well....don't know, but really liked the first band director...the sound and numbers back then...a lot more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:46 pm   
Puma

Great news!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:06 am   
Golden Panther

That's really great news. Thanks to everyone who made it happen.

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:13 am   
Golden Panther

Long overdue! You really miss them at the basketball games.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:06 pm   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:28 pm   
Golden Panther

THis is great news and I am also happy they are changing the band, hated the uniforms...they looked like the doormen at a resort hotel.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:01 pm   
Cougar

Good News!

I really hated that DJ thing you guys had going on and I know you weren't fond of it either.

It just isnt college football without a band, even if it is small.

Grats!