It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:18 am

Jackson Hospital South?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:16 am   
Puma

So I was reading and thinking about this...what do you guys thnk?

Since Jackson Hospital is loosing so much money and there are so many cuts and one big possibility is that they will not even open the new Jackson South Hospital...

Why doesn't FIU buy it from them and already have a half built hospital?

Link to article of possible closing:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/08/1 ... ld-be.html

It'll save FIU money and we'll be one step ahead and have a hospital - or at least use it as a clinic!

My two cents.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:26 pm   
Juvenile Panther

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Talk about Worlds Ahead! I mean, I'm not too informed on the costs of maintaining the hospital, but considering the new medical school and the new Nursing and Health Sciences building, this would be quite a statement we'd be making to the world. Honestly, I say go for it! :D

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:33 pm   
Golden Panther

With the project being only 40% complete, and with a cost to complete of over $60 Million, I think it would be a TERRIBLE idea considering 45% of their patients are un-insured. What makes matters worse is the fact that a recent market evaluation showed that the percentage of patients not insured will only increase in the next 5-10 years.

BAD BAD BAD idea!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm   
Golden Panther

There are already plans to build medical facilities on campus and next to the airport. These should be our focus, not taking over a defunct facility. With all the budget cuts the last thing we need is greater strain on our finances. Let's let the College of Medicine grow at a measured pace, one that is sustainable, not so fast that is crushes the program financially.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:27 pm   
Puma

JulesFIU07 wrote:
There are already plans to build medical facilities on campus and next to the airport. These should be our focus, not taking over a defunct facility. With all the budget cuts the last thing we need is greater strain on our finances. Let's let the College of Medicine grow at a measured pace, one that is sustainable, not so fast that is crushes the program financially.

How is this a "defunct facility"?! Its a brand new building (40% complete) and its in line with our "public" university/research facility.

Yes, I agree that this should be done only if it were financially viable for FIU. Why invest money in a new facility at MIA when this one is almost done? This should serve as an extension to whatever is being built on campus.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:02 pm   
Golden Panther

PantherNation wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:

How is this a "defunct facility"?! Its a brand new building (40% complete) and its in line with our "public" university/research facility.

Yes, I agree that this should be done only if it were financially viable for FIU. Why invest money in a new facility at MIA when this one is almost done? This should serve as an extension to whatever is being built on campus.

Because we aren't investing money in the facility at MIA, it is being put together by a private consortium led by Odebrecht that has partnered with us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:38 pm   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
With the project being only 40% complete, and with a cost to complete of over $60 Million, I think it would be a TERRIBLE idea considering 45% of their patients are un-insured. What makes matters worse is the fact that a recent market evaluation showed that the percentage of patients not insured will only increase in the next 5-10 years.

BAD BAD BAD idea!!!

+1

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:44 pm   
Golden Panther

PantherNation wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:

My guess would be because we would be on the hook for a $100 million building bond, plus these things always have cost overruns. Then there is the shifting demographic which has moved from a more middle-class patient base to an indigent, uninsured patient base. In other words, as pikedanny points out, 45% of the patients currently using Jackson South have no insurance and do not pay. So there will be no way to pay the bond back. The whole UM/Jackson system is a big mess that is in the middle of a financial melt-down; better to just get out of the way.

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 pm   
Golden Panther

Interesting thread. Of more immediate relevance...and direct relationship....to FIU is the fact that Jackson North appears to also be slated to be cut. This Jackson North is precisely the one hospital whose working agreement with FIU Wertheim COM would provide FIU's teaching hospital. I read somewhere where one FIU WCOM official stated our school might look to switch partnership related to teaching hospital.

That is something to be followed closely by FIU officials.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:29 pm   
Golden Panther

I hope it's Baptist. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:25 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Jackson South is way too far from campus, they have too many problems that we shouldn't get involved in, and we already have our own plans for our medical facilities.