It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:11 pm

County and FIU to establish the First Academic Health Dept.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:45 pm   
Golden Panther

In the state of Florida. Good news for our fledging new College of Medicine.

http://news.fiu.edu/2010/05/health-depa ... n-florida/

Quote:

MIAMI — The Miami-Dade County Health Department and Florida International University will establish the first Academic Health Department in Florida.

The Miami-Dade County Health Department is planning to consolidate its administrative and program offices at FIU’s Modesto A. Maidique Campus, bringing part of its workforce to southwest Miami-Dade and forming a partnership that will strengthen the educational experience of students pursuing health careers.

An Academic Health Department is an organized partnership between schools of public health, medicine, nursing and allied health sciences with public health departments. These partnerships create dynamic academic-practice collaborations, which effectively pool the assets of all institutions involved.

The administrative and program offices of the Miami-Dade County Health Department are currently housed in eight different locations around the county, causing operational difficulties and inefficiencies, as well as logistical challenges, said Lillian Rivera, administrator of the Miami-Dade County Health Department.

“Through this partnership, we can cut costs and become a more efficient department,” Rivera said. “We also look forward to playing an important role in preparing students pursuing careers in public health and related professions to meet the 21st century challenges associated with the health needs of our population.”

The Miami-Dade County Health Department offices will be located in FIU’s Academic Health Sciences Center, which includes the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, the Robert Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work, the College of Nursing and Health Sciences, and the College of Arts and Sciences. The Academic Health Sciences Center is expected to generate 66,000 new jobs and have an annual economic impact of more than $8.9 billion by 2025.

By consolidating administrative offices at FIU, the Miami-Dade County Health Department is expected to save the state at least $8 million over the next 25 years. The building, estimated to be 90,000 square feet, comes with an authorized budget of up to $32.5 million. The project is included within the 2010-2011 budget passed by the Florida Legislature. Pending the governor’s approval, the building will be financed through a bond and repaid through Department of Health lease payments.

The health department component of the new complex will complement a previously funded $23.3 million Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work academic facility and a new $10 million Ambulatory Care Center funded by a grant from Miami-Dade County. The clinic and academic facility are in the planning and design stages.

“We are thrilled to welcome the Miami-Dade County Health Department as our new neighbor,” said Sweetwater Mayor Manny Maroño. “By bringing well-paying jobs to our area, the new Health Department facility represents a tremendous economic boost. This is a great example of how strategic partnerships can benefit our community.”

The planned facility will increase joint teaching, research, and clinical training opportunities for FIU students, faculty and health professionals in the health department. The move also will expand opportunities for both institutions to collaborate in attracting grants that can help improve health care in the region.

The collaboration between FIU and the Miami-Dade County Health Department also has the potential to create internship opportunities through which FIU students would work with public health experts in a clinical and research environment. The facility will include a public health teaching clinic with an environmental laboratory and a nutrition/ breastfeeding program.

“This is the kind of innovative, mutually-beneficial, strategic partnership that will enhance the education of our students with real life experience,” said Fernando Treviño, dean of the Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work. “At the same time, it will improve the local state-run health facilities and save the state significant money. It’s a win-win situation.”

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:15 am   
Golden Panther

With all these Health and Medical facilities coming on-line in the next few years, this must surely be the death-knell of the Fair. I can't imagine trying to shoe-horn all these Miami-Dade Health facilities into what limited space is available on the MM/UP Campus when there are acres and acres of UNUSED land adjacent to the campus.

Surely many of these buildings will be built there: The Miami-Dade County Health Department offices will be located in FIU’s Academic Health Sciences Center, which includes the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, the Robert Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work, the College of Nursing and Health Sciences, and the College of Arts and Sciences. The Academic Health Sciences Center is expected to generate 66,000 new jobs and have an annual economic impact of more than $8.9 billion by 2025.

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:26 pm   
Golden Panther

from your lips to Gods ears. Evicting the Fair and using that space to finish our world class university/ Medical facilities would be a great thing for FIU and the whole Miami community.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:05 pm   
Juvenile Panther

unfortunatley Fan, this doesnt seem likely any time soon. In the link below you can see that the medical facilities will be located on the gravel lot located on the corner of 107th and 8th st. And after looking at the FIU maste plan, i realized that altough many new buidling are in the works (new dorms, expansion of CBC, alumni center and 2 more parking garages) all of them are still within our boundraies with no expansion occuring within the fair grounds.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3357/319 ... 9763_b.jpg - College of Medicine

http://facilities.fiu.edu/images/pdf/Ma ... update.pdf - 2005/2015 Mater Plan

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 pm   
Juvenile Panther

http://facilities.fiu.edu/Documents/Pla ... June09.pdf

.......this is a link to the new master plan (diagrams start on page 15)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:08 am   
Golden Panther

Class09 wrote:
http://facilities.fiu.edu/Documents/Planning/MasterPlans/Chapter%200.0_TOC-Intro-Diagrams_Draft_June09.pdf

.......this is a link to the new master plan (diagrams start on page 15)

Wow. Thanks guys. Looks like a huge amount of additional construction going on in the next 5 years. The medical facilities really dominate the NE corner of the campus. And there appear to be a lot of residential building on the South side. It's beginning to look like it's on little town there.

I guess that parcel where the Fair is located is safe for another 5 years or so but the football stadium and the performing arts building have already begun to encroach on it. Also, with all the additional building going on at the MM/UP Campus, the Engineering Campus and at UP North (I know, the Bicayne Bay Campus) I don't see how we are going to keep the student population below 40,000.

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:46 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I am an alumni from FIU and I'm glad to see a new medical building being built to help advance the Health Careers programs on campus. I'm glad to see my donations go to good use.