It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Updated Campus Master Plan 2005-2015

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:15 pm   
Golden Panther

Very interesting master plan, including several targets and the like. Nice blueprint for the future.

An updated campus master plan as of September 2010 for the period 2005-2015, was just released in FIU Facilities website. In it, they include an additional 1,148 beds for housing already "planned" earlier on, plus they now add the "need" for an extra 556 beds until 2015, which will partially mitigate the plan to demolish (at least partially) the university apartments ( :cry: This is where I lived my undergrad years...) 240 beds initially.

The plan still includes for 2015 the concept of "Main Street", and also includes and mentions the partnership with both, the Miami Dade County Youth Fair lands, plus Sweetwater "Mixed Use Corridor", which would be incumbent to both the city and to FIU itself.

Enjoy:

http://facilities.fiu.edu/images/BOB%20 ... 9-7-10.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:37 pm   
Golden Panther

Guess what? The SSC is including with the stadium in all the planning schematics.

Woo Hoo! Looks like we'll be going to 30,000 seats in the next couple of years.

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:43 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUFan wrote:
Guess what? The SSC is including with the stadium in all the planning schematics.

Woo Hoo! Looks like we'll be going to 30,000 seats in the next couple of years.

Man...with all the information, I also saw that but forgot to mention it in my original post. I wondered how "up to date" it was, since this master plan was originally set up in 2005, but I saw it was updated just a couple of days ago during this month. I hope this is true (and not that they don't "eliminate" the original plans, but only add the new ones) and somehow the decision has been made to "keep it" there, and not what has mostly has been hinted lately, which is that the SSC will be built elsewhere more "centrally located" on campus.

I guess Dr. Rosenberg will answer that question during Pete Pelegrin's interview....we will find out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:40 pm   
Golden Panther

dont know if you all noticed as well but there is an upgrade to the USCB within the next 5 years if i saw the update correctly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:55 pm   
Golden Panther

Yep...the USCBank Arena will build a "lobby" on the east side of the arena, together with several improvements and enhancements to hold events, meetings, etc.

And also, I just watched the Pete Pelegrin interview of President Rosenberg, and don't hold your breath with the SSC annexed to the stadium. It doesn't look good for that, 'Fan.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:15 am   
Golden Panther

Yeah, Beacon's been reporting that the student support complex is basically a no-go at the stadium. They think it needs to be closer to the "heart" of campus. That's basically not happening.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:04 pm   
Golden Panther

bobbob1313 wrote:
Yeah, Beacon's been reporting that the student support complex is basically a no-go at the stadium. They think it needs to be closer to the "heart" of campus. That's basically not happening.

What they need to do is take over the fair grounds and build the core of student living around there. The mixed use plan for Sweetwater is great, but it only works after a critical mass has been developed on campus.

The north side of the stadium needs to be completed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:48 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Fanatic wrote:
Yep...the USCBank Arena will build a "lobby" on the east side of the arena, together with several improvements and enhancements to hold events, meetings, etc.

And also, I just watched the Pete Pelegrin interview of President Rosenberg, and don't hold your breath with the SSC annexed to the stadium. It doesn't look good for that, 'Fan.

I saw that too.

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin