It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Funding for Florida Universities, including FIU

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:50 am   
Golden Panther

Interesting in-depth article of the issues and challenges affecting funding for universities and colleges, both private and (mostly) public, in the state of Florida. The article does look and point out in a relevant way the path being undertaken by FIU and our President, Dr. Rosenberg.

http://www.floridatrend.com/article.asp ... &aID=55241

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:47 am   
Cougar

Very good article, thanks for sharing Fanatic. It's a freightening thought that our Florida schools have to rely so much on tuition these days rather than state funding. My concern is for the kids that have the grades to go to school but not the financial means to do so. I'm wondering what the social and economic impact will be of kids graduating with massive debt loads. With so many questions about the costs of financing higher education these days, I'm glad that President Rosenberg is taking a proactive approach in keeping FIU in the frontlines of this issue, although I'm skeptical about his goal of raising the student body by 20k in the future. What will that do to the quality of education at FIU? Will our infrastructure be adequate to accomdate the growth? Most importantly, how will we attract these students to FIU given the fierce competition from other schools? The answer to this question, I suspect, will in large part depend on the answers to the first two questions.

On a side note, I'm curious as to the author's closing remarks. In an article meant primarily to address issues facing higher education among Florida public schools, the last word is given to a private university. I find that interesting to say the least.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:19 am   
Golden Panther

chrisfiu wrote:
Very good article, thanks for sharing Fanatic. It's a freightening thought that our Florida schools have to rely so much on tuition these days rather than state funding. My concern is for the kids that have the grades to go to school but not the financial means to do so. I'm wondering what the social and economic impact will be of kids graduating with massive debt loads. With so many questions about the costs of financing higher education these days, I'm glad that President Rosenberg is taking a proactive approach in keeping FIU in the frontlines of this issue, although I'm skeptical about his goal of raising the student body by 20k in the future. What will that do to the quality of education at FIU? Will our infrastructure be adequate to accomdate the growth? Most importantly, how will we attract these students to FIU given the fierce competition from other schools? The answer to this question, I suspect, will in large part depend on the answers to the first two questions.

On a side note, I'm curious as to the author's closing remarks. In an article meant primarily to address issues facing higher education among Florida public schools, the last word is given to a private university. I find that interesting to say the least.

1.) Don't worry about FIU student debt load (on a macro level), they have historically been the lowest in the country.

2.) Getting to 60,000? FIU has the largest feeder JUCO in the country, MDC and there are 160,000 students there. Everyone knows an AA aint worth jack; guess where you've got to go next? plus FIU has the lowest admittance rate for incoming freshman in the State (for multiple years in a row), just raise that a couple of points and you've got an extra couple of thousand.

3.) Quality of education? That's a many pronged question. a.) you get out what you put in. b.) Large universities are primarily known for their individual programs (e.g. Medical, Legal, Accounting, etc.); many good individual programs leads to a perception of quality. c.) keeping class sizes at a respectable level leads to infrastructure and hiring of more professors; increase of student *tuition and organic growth in student population will help to pay for these additions.

4.) Paying for infrastructure? As FIU grows its student body, the space to educate them will necessarily need to grow. These students pay tuition, those dollars can be levered against State funds (3 to 1 I believe)...loans (i.e. debt issuance) can be made based on these discounted revenue streams. And fund raising and naming rights to help offset the cost of a piece of infrastructure.

Frightening? No. Leadership? Yes. I do think that Mr. Rosenberg is doing the right thing in addressing the Pell Grant and Bright Scholars issues. It's hard to pull those government dollars while families are struggling, on top of tuition increases. But these are mundane, economic issues. Where's the 'bright light on the hill' vision for this university....after awhile people get bored with the trivial, day-to-day running of affairs and want to be inspired.

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin