It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:05 am

from Rick Sanchez with LOVE

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:16 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:32 am
Posts: 9514
FIUer wrote:
bobbob1313 wrote:
FIUer wrote:

Politics doesn't transfer well to a college football / alma mater analogy.

As far as the crazy friend who says stupid $$$$, well maybe you and I have different views on loyalty or different interpretations on the depth of this analogy. Point being, I don't agree with RS on every, arguably most, positions of his but there's one overriding FACT that inspires my support - his unwavering and highly public support for FIU. We need more of that in this town.


Blind loyalty is not a good thing. I'll just leave it at that.


A well known saying...The sky is not less blue because the blind man does not see it.

I too will just leave it at that.


+1

_________________
FIU...A Sleeping Giant Awakens


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:29 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 11:38 pm
Posts: 2446
FIUJM wrote:
I could give 3 craps about Barry Jackson. RS can fire away at him all he wants. But why bring race into it? It's not like BJ was taking shots at Tio Ricky because of race. BJ was critiquing his broadcast, not his race. And BJ gets paid by the Herald to critique sports media types. It's what the guy does to everyone in the market.


I honestly believe there is something more to it for him to bring up the race. There may be a time and a place to do these things(closed doors would be ideal), but RS doesn't hold back. I just don't think Rick Sanchez would say these things without have a reason, he may know something we don't.

On a personal note, I can't stand Barry Jackson. He hates FIU for no reason! I have no problem with Tio Rick going after him.[/quote]

His reason is his own personal agenda. I am sorry more people don't realize he is using us. The Herald has nothing against Hispanics, to even suggest that shows a departure from reality. The editor of the $$$$ paper is Hispanic. This just the continuation of the nonsense that got him fired in the first place. Trying to play the downtrodden minority card whenever someone takes a shot at him, not because he Hispanic but because he is incompetent. Some of the people on here just have the idea that the Herald is bad and FIU is good so thoroughly hard-wired into their brains that anyone taking a shot at the Herald, with the possible exception of Fidel Castro, gets a free pass no matter what other asinine comments follow.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:37 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 11:38 pm
Posts: 2446
FIUer wrote:

If by this you mean some of us, myself most certainly included, agree with RS that the Herald is absolutely biased against FIU for unspoken reasons, then I agree with you, I've "bought into it."

But if by this quote you mean us who agree with RS believe every conspiracy theory against Hispanics he writes/speaks about is true, you're likely off-base.

Truth be told, RS likely doesn't have many followers that agree with him on 100% of his positions, such is the case for most controversial public figures, but he is a STAUNCH supporter of my ALMA MATER and therefore I BACK HIM to every extent reasonably possible. Ever have a crazy a$$ friend that is always saying stupid $$$$ but you still have his back...well that should be RS to FIU fans

Politics doesn't transfer well to a college football / alma mater analogy.

As far as the crazy friend who says stupid $$$$, well maybe you and I have different views on loyalty or different interpretations on the depth of this analogy. Point being, I don't agree with RS on every, arguably most, positions of his but there's one overriding FACT that inspires my support - his unwavering and highly public support for FIU. We need more of that in this town.
[/quote]

Politics wouldn't have transferred well if this idiot didn't bring up politics in the first place. His entire article wasn't about FIU, he just used FIU as some kind of convoluted launching point for his ethno-political rant. What he was trying to say was the the Herald represents the "man" in Miami and is trying to keep Hispanics down. If you believe that is even a remotely correct picture of Miami then, without trying to be offensive, you're an idiot.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:34 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 990
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
FIUJM wrote:
I honestly believe there is something more to it for him to bring up the race. There may be a time and a place to do these things(closed doors would be ideal), but RS doesn't hold back. I just don't think Rick Sanchez would say these things without have a reason, he may know something we don't.

On a personal note, I can't stand Barry Jackson. He hates FIU for no reason! I have no problem with Tio Rick going after him.


What could that possibly be? If you're a responsible journalist, you don't just sling mud at someone and not say why. Especially when you're basically calling someone a racist. If he's got some kind of proof BJ's a closet Latino hater, I'd like to hear it. Otherwise, he should've just left this alone.

I'm no Barry Jackson fan, either, but the man is PAID to give critiques on people like Rick Sanchez. Again, let me re-iterate... he's given green slips of paper for his opinion on sports media types. It's what he does, and he's done it in this market for a long time. His thoughts on RS didn't seem like a personal attack to me.

Based on what I read, there's no good reason for a guy like Sanchez to go after BJ unless RS is incredibly thin-skinned and high-strung. Maybe he is. TV types often can be; God knows I've got personal experiences on that end. But I have a hard time thinking he's so thin-skinned as to let a guy known for critiquing sports media types affect him so badly he busts out the race card.

I suspect there's something more here, too, but I think it's more in the mind of RS than anything else.

_________________
Descendant of Red Sea pedestrians... raised on bistec empanizado... married to a Southern-fried redhead.

FIU football should market their program as "the I". No one ever said that only Miami can call themselves by one letter. :)


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:36 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 990
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
FIUer wrote:
If by this you mean some of us, myself most certainly included, agree with RS that the Herald is absolutely biased against FIU for unspoken reasons, then I agree with you, I've "bought into it."

But if by this quote you mean us who agree with RS believe every conspiracy theory against Hispanics he writes/speaks about is true, you're likely off-base.

Truth be told, RS likely doesn't have many followers that agree with him on 100% of his positions, such is the case for most controversial public figures, but he is a STAUNCH supporter of my ALMA MATER and therefore I BACK HIM to every extent reasonably possible. Ever have a crazy a$$ friend that is always saying stupid $$$$ but you still have his back...well that should be RS to FIU fans.


I buy that the MH has a bias against FIU, at least in the Sports section. If Pelegrin says it, I won't go against him, and he's not the only guy who's worked at the Herald who's told me that.

I also don't think that bias matters nearly as much as most of you do. Maybe it’s because of what I do for a living. But because of that, I know that if FIU football makes themselves relevant, the MH will have to devote more ink to them whether they want to or not. Their hand will be forced. Heck, it’s being forced now. The quality of their coverage has increased dramatically now that Neal’s on the beat. You think that’s a coincidence? I know it’s not.

There’s a lot of Miami sports media types who can’t stand FIU, not just at the Herald. Both 560 and 790 are up to their necks in Miami sycophants. TV isn’t that much better. I just don’t get why the Herald’s brand of UM ass-kissing gets so much attention from you guys. What makes them so special? They’re just another media outlet. In a dying industry, no less.

I hope you’re right about the “followers” part, but I agree with bobbob here. I get your point... to some of my friends, I’m the guy who says stupid stuff all the time… but I’m not going to back someone who says outlandish crap like this, even if he is a staunch FIU supporter. What RS is saying is not reasonable. Not even close.

Besides, I’m not ready to anoint RS a “staunch” FIU supporter. Yeah, he’s buddies with PG, he’s got sons who either are at FIU or are going there, he says all the right things… I get that. But it’s not like RS has always been known as an FIU guy. He never went to school here. As far as I know, he wasn’t even associated with the program until recently. We never heard him saying all these positive things about FIU until he was offered the radio gig.

I wonder how much of this “FIU” stuff we hear from him is genuine. I also wonder if all this is just a way to get his name back in the public spotlight again. Y’know, take a job for free – he probably doesn’t need the money and it wouldn’t pay much anyway – and get some people to start supporting him again. More importantly, though… it gets him back in the news.

I hope he’s not just trying to use FIU for publicity purposes. But… having had plenty of experience with TV and radio types, I’ll just say this. The vast majority are attention seekers. They don’t just want publicity, they crave it. Nothing’s worse to them than being ignored; they would rather have mobs coming for their blood than be considered irrelevant.

Remember, folks… this guy took one incredible fall from grace. No one’s giving this guy a TV job again, unless maybe Channel 7 gets desperate to relive the cocaine cowboy days again. This might be the best he can get to keep himself in the spotlight.

I don’t know the guy, and I’m not going to pretend to judge him. I’ll try my best to give him a fair chance. But his being at FIU does smell weird to me and has since day one.

_________________
Descendant of Red Sea pedestrians... raised on bistec empanizado... married to a Southern-fried redhead.

FIU football should market their program as "the I". No one ever said that only Miami can call themselves by one letter. :)


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:21 am   
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 4739
You think CNN was here because of FIU's national profile or because Rick pushed them to do it on his show?

phpBB [video]


It looks like he was pretty positive about FIU at least 2 years ago. I think it's pretty clear that Rick is passionate about FIU and I appreciate that, he's the only major media person locally who has shown the type of dedication and respect to this institution and if people don't like him for his political stance that's their own problem. I didn't like Maidique's political views but I loved him because he, like me, loves FIU. Go Panthers!

Quote:
Clawing Cancer wrote:
Besides, I’m not ready to anoint RS a “staunch” FIU supporter. Yeah, he’s buddies with PG, he’s got sons who either are at FIU or are going there, he says all the right things… I get that. But it’s not like RS has always been known as an FIU guy. He never went to school here. As far as I know, he wasn’t even associated with the program until recently. We never heard him saying all these positive things about FIU until he was offered the radio gig.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:37 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 11:23 pm
Posts: 2637
Location: Miami, FL
FIUer wrote:
As far as the crazy friend who says stupid $$$$, well maybe you and I have different views on loyalty or different interpretations on the depth of this analogy. Point being, I don't agree with RS on every, arguably most, positions of his but there's one overriding FACT that inspires my support - his unwavering and highly public support for FIU. We need more of that in this town.


I lost a friend because he did and said stupid $#!%, so it pains me to see FIU have Sanchez attached to us like he is.

_________________
Image GOLDEN PANTHERS STEP INTO THE CAGE!
2010 Sunbelt Conference Champions • 2010 Little Ceaser's Bowl Champions
http://fiu.edu - http://fiusports.com - http://reddit.com/r/fiu


Top
 Profile WWW ICQ YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:10 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 2107
I guess he should just sit back and take BJ's sh*!.

Not! He's in the media too, he can give as good as he gets.

By the way CC, pick up a copy of the Herald's Sports section today, maybe then you'll see what we all are talking about. It's looks like their school newspaper....if you can't see that, then I give up.

_________________
FIU: the University of Florida in Miami

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:23 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 990
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
FIUFan wrote:
I guess he should just sit back and take BJ's sh*!.

Not! He's in the media too, he can give as good as he gets.

By the way CC, pick up a copy of the Herald's Sports section today, maybe then you'll see what we all are talking about. It's looks like their school newspaper....if you can't see that, then I give up.


Again... I'm fine with him going after Jackson. Or Cote. Or LeBatard. Or the Herald for their coverage of FIU. No problems there. He's right about a lot of that. Just keep the racial crap out of it. That's all I'm saying. There was no need to go down that road.

And, again... I'm not arguing that the Herald has a UM bias. They do. But they're not the only ones. I don't see people on this board constantly harping over QAM or 790 or any other media outlet for their biases, though. It's only the Herald that gets it with both barrels blazing.

What makes the Herald so friggin' special that some of you guys obsess over how they treat FIU? They're just another media outlet. If this was 20 years ago, when newspapers were still major powers, I'd understand this attitude a lot more. But they're not. They're just another fish in the media pond. A big fish, yeah, but one fish nonetheless.

They do not have the power some of you people think they do to dictate media coverage. Not anymore. There are plenty of other media options out there. Once FIU gets big-time, the Herald will have to give FIU the respect it deserves or become irrelevant. It's totally in FIU's hands. No one else's.

_________________
Descendant of Red Sea pedestrians... raised on bistec empanizado... married to a Southern-fried redhead.

FIU football should market their program as "the I". No one ever said that only Miami can call themselves by one letter. :)


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:40 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 990
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
FIUPantherFan wrote:
You think CNN was here because of FIU's national profile or because Rick pushed them to do it on his show?

phpBB [video]


It looks like he was pretty positive about FIU at least 2 years ago. I think it's pretty clear that Rick is passionate about FIU and I appreciate that, he's the only major media person locally who has shown the type of dedication and respect to this institution and if people don't like him for his political stance that's their own problem. I didn't like Maidique's political views but I loved him because he, like me, loves FIU. Go Panthers!


Maybe RS thought of it; it clearly fits into his world view. Maybe PG or someone else at FIU gave him a ring and suggested he do the story. I don't know. Maybe someone else does.

Either way, it was good publicity for the school. And, yeah, that did come before the radio gig; we have to be fair about that. I'll just say, though, that he was also in a much different role then. There's a big difference between being hired by CNN and being hired by FIU. He wasn't nationally disgraced back then, either.

I'm also no fan of Mitch's politics. But Mitch did a hell of a lot more for FIU than RS ever has. I'll give Mitch way more leeway than I would ever give RS.

All that said, I do get your point, FPF. I appreciate him showing love to FIU in the press, too. I just wish said person also wasn't spouting crazy nonsense about Hispanic bias in the Herald. It's not exactly the greatest way to rep the school. That's my point.

_________________
Descendant of Red Sea pedestrians... raised on bistec empanizado... married to a Southern-fried redhead.

FIU football should market their program as "the I". No one ever said that only Miami can call themselves by one letter. :)


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:56 pm   
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 4739
CC, the BIG difference between the Herald and other media outlets is that they let their bias show. While 560/790 employees may hate us, they show that by ignoring us. On the other hand, when the herald does focus on us, it is in an attempt by its writers to be negative. To me there's a big difference, it's the difference between a stranger and an active foe.

Clawing Cancer wrote:
FIUFan wrote:
I guess he should just sit back and take BJ's sh*!.

Not! He's in the media too, he can give as good as he gets.

By the way CC, pick up a copy of the Herald's Sports section today, maybe then you'll see what we all are talking about. It's looks like their school newspaper....if you can't see that, then I give up.


Again... I'm fine with him going after Jackson. Or Cote. Or LeBatard. Or the Herald for their coverage of FIU. No problems there. He's right about a lot of that. Just keep the racial crap out of it. That's all I'm saying. There was no need to go down that road.

And, again... I'm not arguing that the Herald has a UM bias. They do. But they're not the only ones. I don't see people on this board constantly harping over QAM or 790 or any other media outlet for their biases, though. It's only the Herald that gets it with both barrels blazing.

What makes the Herald so friggin' special that some of you guys obsess over how they treat FIU? They're just another media outlet. If this was 20 years ago, when newspapers were still major powers, I'd understand this attitude a lot more. But they're not. They're just another fish in the media pond. A big fish, yeah, but one fish nonetheless.

They do not have the power some of you people think they do to dictate media coverage. Not anymore. There are plenty of other media options out there. Once FIU gets big-time, the Herald will have to give FIU the respect it deserves or become irrelevant. It's totally in FIU's hands. No one else's.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:09 pm   
Cougar

Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:37 am
Posts: 119
Clawing Cancer wrote:
I'll just say, though, that he was also in a much different role then. There's a big difference between being hired by CNN and being hired by FIU. He wasn't nationally disgraced back then, either.


Wow dude, you're landing spaceships with some of these comments. Really stretching to connect his "national disgrace" to this topic at hand.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:20 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 990
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
FIUer wrote:
Clawing Cancer wrote:
I'll just say, though, that he was also in a much different role then. There's a big difference between being hired by CNN and being hired by FIU. He wasn't nationally disgraced back then, either.


Wow dude, you're landing spaceships with some of these comments. Really stretching to connect his "national disgrace" to this topic at hand.


Stretching? Not sure what you mean by that.

I was just trying to point out that he was in a different place reputation-wise when he worked at CNN versus now, when he's working for FIU. Which I don't think anyone can really argue with.

_________________
Descendant of Red Sea pedestrians... raised on bistec empanizado... married to a Southern-fried redhead.

FIU football should market their program as "the I". No one ever said that only Miami can call themselves by one letter. :)


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:39 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 990
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
FIUPantherFan wrote:
CC, the BIG difference between the Herald and other media outlets is that they let their bias show. While 560/790 employees may hate us, they show that by ignoring us. On the other hand, when the herald does focus on us, it is in an attempt by its writers to be negative. To me there's a big difference, it's the difference between a stranger and an active foe.


I can understand that. I don't think the other outlets are necessarily ignoring FIU, though. I think the fact the Herald has such a huge presence on the Web is the main factor. Much easier to read negative or positive comments at your leisure on the Web than hear them on the radio or on TV at the right moment.

I would say, though, that it's probably better to have someone actively hating on FIU versus ignoring them. At least the haters are paying attention to what's going on and are talking about it. Even if it's negative, at least it's attention.

_________________
Descendant of Red Sea pedestrians... raised on bistec empanizado... married to a Southern-fried redhead.

FIU football should market their program as "the I". No one ever said that only Miami can call themselves by one letter. :)


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:42 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 2107
Clawing Cancer wrote:
Again... I'm fine with him going after Jackson. Or Cote. Or LeBatard. Or the Herald for their coverage of FIU. No problems there. He's right about a lot of that.


Good. Then it appears we have your blessing to continue exposing these 'backroom haters'. Thanks.

_________________
FIU: the University of Florida in Miami

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Style originally created by Volize © 2003 • Redesigned SkyLine by MartectX © 2008 - 2009