It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:33 am

FIU moving into Fairgrounds?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:13 pm   
Golden Panther

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/14/2641729/fiu-expansion-plan-hinges-on-controversial.html

I don't think this is a bad idea, what do you guys think of this?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:16 pm   
Golden Panther

Well it seems inevitable that in the future, however near or distant, that FIU will need to expand the campus borders to where the Fair is. The main thing I don't like is the location of the proposed Fair site. It's not so much that it was land initially purchased for preservation purposes. There is some development just a little past this proposed site at 8th and Krome (177th) although it's on the light side. But wouldn't the Fair be better situated by a highway? Why not put it on the north side of 8th closer to where the Dolphin starts? Somewhere between NW 12th and SW 8th just to the west of 137th Ave. It's only a few miles away but in a much better area, I think.

But I would be hesitant to start some sort of precedent where land intended for preservation can be developed. And what is this talk about needing more space for the Med School? There isn't currently a "med building" to my knowledge but I thought the entire northeast portion of campus is supposed to be filled with medical clinics, offices and other health related buildings in the coming years. Is FIU going to build a separate building for the med school? If so, why not in that corner?

There's quite a bit of unused land on campus as is, even if we're assuming the northeast corner is already accounted for. Those apartments are slated to be demolished in the coming years, right? There's land. There's land lining much of the northern border of campus along 8th. FIU needs to knock down some of those garages and literally build them 10 stories or so. Built multiple garages in the last 10 years that are only 6 floors. I don't get that. Not with limited land and a rapidly expanding enrollment. There are a bunch of large surface lots on campus, too. I'm not a fan of large parking lots on college campuses. Everything needs to be built upwards. There are quite a few academic buildings that are only 2-3 floors. That's just a huge waste of space.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:49 pm   
Golden Panther

There is not so much undeveloped land in our MMC campus right now. The Northeast quadrant is slated for the whole Medical area, as noted by Nole, but it stretches with related buildings all the way past where the current apartments lie (perhaps including other dorms for med students or so). The fact is that the one major issue confronting FIU in its growth is precisely land, and the move into what is now the Fairgrounds was and is inevitable. It's a matter of sonner or later. It appears to be sooner now, and I'm glad it is.

This is welcome news Panthers fans!

Here's a release by the university on this proposal: http://news.fiu.edu/2012/02/fiu-explore ... m_term=fiu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:03 am   
Juvenile Panther

From what I was told is that no building can be higher than the library. It stands as the icon and center of campus. That is the reason why parking garages aren't taller than 6 floors. I don't know if this is fact or myth.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:34 am   
Golden Panther

FIUNole wrote:
There's quite a bit of unused land on campus as is, even if we're assuming the northeast corner is already accounted for. Those apartments are slated to be demolished in the coming years, right? There's land. There's land lining much of the northern border of campus along 8th. FIU needs to knock down some of those garages and literally build them 10 stories or so. Built multiple garages in the last 10 years that are only 6 floors. I don't get that. Not with limited land and a rapidly expanding enrollment. There are a bunch of large surface lots on campus, too. I'm not a fan of large parking lots on college campuses. Everything needs to be built upwards. There are quite a few academic buildings that are only 2-3 floors. That's just a huge waste of space.

I think there are certain height restrictions on buildings within that area.

FIU has been trying to get the fair land for some time now but it is inevitable as fanatic says.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:41 pm   
Golden Panther

robg18 wrote:
From what I was told is that no building can be higher than the library. It stands as the icon and center of campus. That is the reason why parking garages aren't taller than 6 floors. I don't know if this is fact or myth.

That may have been true at one point and it would seems plausible, but with 3 new science buildings all 5+ floors all next to each other and not far from the library that may no longer be the case.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:55 pm   
Golden Panther

Deal appears dead.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/06/2 ... -deal.html

Like it was said earlier.... I read about FIU's hunt for that land in the 90's while in HS.

The tamiami youth league where my son plays asked for support to kill the deal. Making allegations that they would be next.

So what's next. We could always expand at the FiU engineering site...that wouldn't be a bad location either.

Guys
panther viscosity wrote:
FIUNole wrote:

I think there are certain height restrictions on buildings within that area.

FIU has been trying to get the fair land for some time now but it is inevitable as fanatic says.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:59 pm   
Golden Panther

Here's the link...
http://www.tamiamiyouthbaseball.org/Sav ... PDATES.php

The Save Tamiami Campaign