It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:12 pm

UniversityCity Prosperity Project would transform FIU

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:22 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:32 am
Posts: 9254
The following is a presentation by FIU, and the City of Sweetwater....along with MDX, FDOT, and other partners.....to ask for a federal "TIGER" Grants for transportation and community-enhancing improvements of western Miami Dade County.

A very impressive, encompassing, thorough, and well presented idea, that would help make the immediate area north of FIU through 109th Avenue (initially) that much more connected to FIU, both physically and figuratively. Use of technology and Bus Rapid Transity systems, with "Smart Garages", and "traffic calming" streets, will try to make reality of this shared vision, perhaps helping launch some transportation technologies for the future of Miami Dade County, all the way up to Indian River County, with the airport MIC as a possible point of exchange.

Pretty neat stuff!

http://cake.fiu.edu/TIGER2012/drop/narrative.pdf

_________________
FIU...A Sleeping Giant Awakens


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:24 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:32 am
Posts: 9254
The city of Sweetwater taking additional steps aimed at getting the foundation necessary to help the UniversityCity concept come to fruition. It will annex the FIU Engineering Campus, plus some non-residential land, roads, etc., with the idea of helping the eventual College Town concept work.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/10/2 ... k=misearch

[quote][/quote]

_________________
FIU...A Sleeping Giant Awakens


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:11 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:52 am
Posts: 4560
I just saw this on tweeter and came to post...
Good job Fanatic...

I gotta call Manny and congratulate him!

_________________
"It's called opportunity, that's what life is all about, you get an opportunity and I think these guys are anxious to have this opportunity and do something with it" - FIU Coach Ron Turner


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:32 am
Posts: 9254
Part I of a 3-part series video interview with Sweetwater mayor Manny Maroño in Miami's Daily Business Review. This partnership with Sweetwater to become a College Town has hit several roadblocks, but through the persistence of the mayor and of Dr. Rosenberg, it will have its first FIU-related building in full use for Fall 2014, if everything goes according to plan.


http://www.dailybusinessreview.com/PubA ... 0104201652

_________________
FIU...A Sleeping Giant Awakens


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:57 am
Posts: 526
Sweetwater will never be a college town. But if in the next 20-30 years developers could buy up most of the property from 110th to 107th and 8th to 6th, I think that area could be master-planned to be a privately owned student housing development with college student-themed shops, restaurants/delis/bars, parks/green space, pool(s) and new, nice apartment-style dorms and/or townhouses designed specifically for FIU students, it could be a nice area and asset to the university.

Maybe that's the plan. I don't know. But a few dorms kind of scattered throughout southern Sweetwater with no real flow or them wouldn't do much for either FIU or Sweetwater, imo.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:51 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 11:38 pm
Posts: 2242
FIUNole wrote:
Sweetwater will never be a college town. But if in the next 20-30 years developers could buy up most of the property from 110th to 107th and 8th to 6th, I think that area could be master-planned to be a privately owned student housing development with college student-themed shops, restaurants/delis/bars, parks/green space, pool(s) and new, nice apartment-style dorms and/or townhouses designed specifically for FIU students, it could be a nice area and asset to the university.

Maybe that's the plan. I don't know. But a few dorms kind of scattered throughout southern Sweetwater with no real flow or them wouldn't do much for either FIU or Sweetwater, imo.


There is a lot more to it than some random student-centric housing. Sweetwater is undergoing a re-zoning and master planning process to essentially fix the city and make it part of FIU.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:54 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:32 am
Posts: 9254
JulesFIU07 wrote:
FIUNole wrote:
Sweetwater will never be a college town. But if in the next 20-30 years developers could buy up most of the property from 110th to 107th and 8th to 6th, I think that area could be master-planned to be a privately owned student housing development with college student-themed shops, restaurants/delis/bars, parks/green space, pool(s) and new, nice apartment-style dorms and/or townhouses designed specifically for FIU students, it could be a nice area and asset to the university.

Maybe that's the plan. I don't know. But a few dorms kind of scattered throughout southern Sweetwater with no real flow or them wouldn't do much for either FIU or Sweetwater, imo.


There is a lot more to it than some random student-centric housing. Sweetwater is undergoing a re-zoning and master planning process to essentially fix the city and make it part of FIU.



And if you read the master plan, they are starting with 109th Avenue from SW 7th street on northward as a "green corridor" with many of the stuff you just mentioned, FIU Nole, to have that "feel". You got to start somewhere, and the fact the City already made those zoning changes, that FIU, MDX, Sweetwater, Miami Dade County, and private investors are working together to try and secure some federal TIGER Grants to make this happen, is a great start. Actually, there is already a new, "different" business that just opened there that specializes in hamburgers catering to FIU students, whose name just escapes me. But, it's the first business endeavor in that avenue which I believe caters to what we are talking about.

It's not turning the whole city into a College Town. It's about starting with a corridor at the very least, and maybe add quadrants to the east, and there you have a "feel" of a small college town.

_________________
FIU...A Sleeping Giant Awakens


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:44 am   
Juvenile Panther

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:26 pm
Posts: 6
This has potential to be something really big. Plus, we need a lot more student housing. At the rate that we're growing, we need thousands of new beds for students in the next coming years. A walkable, urban environment with apartments, coffee shops, bookstores, etc. would all be great amenities to foster a great academic environment.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:34 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:57 am
Posts: 526
Where is the master plan for that section of Sweetwater? I'd like to look at it.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:02 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:32 am
Posts: 9254
'Nole, look at the first post of the thread and its link there you will see part of the information out there, for the beginning of the transformation of 109th Avenue. Below are several links to different partnerships/plans/proposals FIU is working on this UniversityCity Alliance and other related partnerships in different ocassions.

Other links:

http://cake.fiu.edu/TIGER2012/index.html

http://cake.fiu.edu/TI/drop/20110924.3_ ... on_jpg.pdf

http://cake.fiu.edu/TIGER2012/drop/narrative.pdf

http://cake.fiu.edu/TIGER2012/drop/Univ ... 12_PPT.pdf

http://cake.fiu.edu/TI/drop/drawings.pd ... /TIGER.htm

http://cake.fiu.edu/TI/CCPGP.htm

_________________
FIU...A Sleeping Giant Awakens


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:16 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:32 am
Posts: 9254
http://www.dailybusinessreview.com/PubA ... 0112011114

_________________
FIU...A Sleeping Giant Awakens


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:15 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:57 am
Posts: 526
My bad. Skipped right over the "cake" links. Only had the Part I interview with the Sweetwater mayor on my mind. The links show basically what I was saying would be the only way it'd work. Looks good. Take some time but hopefully it comes to fruition and turns out well.

Kind of feel bad all those residents in those rental properties will have to relocate but...


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:58 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 11:38 pm
Posts: 2242
FIUNole wrote:
My bad. Skipped right over the "cake" links. Only had the Part I interview with the Sweetwater mayor on my mind. The links show basically what I was saying would be the only way it'd work. Looks good. Take some time but hopefully it comes to fruition and turns out well.

Kind of feel bad all those residents in those rental properties will have to relocate but...


Unfortunately for them, and the city of Sweetwater, they simply do not provide the necessary tax base to keep Sweetwater solvent.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 am   
Puma
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:05 pm
Posts: 494
Plans for new 15 story dorm included.

http://government.fiu.edu/_assets/docs/ ... erview.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm
Posts: 1850
411Panther wrote:
Plans for new 15 story dorm included.

http://government.fiu.edu/_assets/docs/ ... erview.pdf


Good find. Thanks for sharing.


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Style originally created by Volize © 2003 • Redesigned SkyLine by MartectX © 2008 - 2009