It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:49 am

UniversityCity Prosperity Project would transform FIU

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:24 am   
Golden Panther

FIUFan wrote:
So I guess since they are connected by a bridge, this would be considered on-campus housing.

Once we get football right, perception of this university is going to change 180 degrees.

Even if connected by a bridge, this should still be considered off-campus. There is nothing wrong with being off-campus. They will also be privately owned and operated.

To your point, the increase in both on-campus and off-campus housing will certainly help the University move away from the dreaded "commuter school" label. Still a long way to go, but definitely a step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:26 am   
Golden Panther

Who's going to provide Security?

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 am   
Golden Panther

FIUFan wrote:

Sweetwater Police Station is about a block away.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:21 am   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
FIUFan wrote:

Sweetwater Police Station is about a block away.

Doesn't really answer the question. Who has jurisdiction over these students? If it's Sweetwater then yes, I would consider this off-campus. If FIU security is the primary controlling force then I would call that on-campus. Pretty much boils down to whether this area has been annexed to FIU's Campus or if the property and associated taxes are paid to Sweetwater.

Nothing is as ever as stright-forward as it appears. :)

p.s. if there is some type of dual-jurisdiction going on here, then I would again consider this on-campus housing.

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:47 am   
Golden Panther

It's City of Sweetwater. They re-zoned the land for this type of use. The buildings will be privately owned and operated.

I'm not sure why you're so stuck on this security thing, but the owner has several options when considering security. They can hire a private security contractor or possibly pay off duty police officers. I would imagine the owner will hire a security guard or two to handle minor security issues. Sweetwater police will likely respond to calls as it is in their jurisdiction. I'm sure FIU police can provide addition support, if necessary, as Sweetwater Police has done for FIU on several occasions.

FIU did not annex this property. The City of Sweetwater voted to zone the properties for mixed-use and will receive the property taxes. To me, that is the determining factor in this discussion. Sweetwater re-zoned for this particular use. They will provide infrastructure and municipal services.

Quote:
The same developer is currently constructing the 109 Tower, a 15-story private dorm with roughly 180 residential units, plus first-floor retail. It is now under construction on Southwest Seventh Terrace and 109th Avenue.

The new building will have 208 units and parking.

The city's university district includes the area between 107th and 109th avenues and between Sixth and Seventh streets, with a small portion that will possibly go farther north up to Fourth Street.

FIU's Modesto Maidique Campus is between Southwest 107th Avenue and Florida's Turnpike, south of Eighth Street, just outside Sweetwater's city limits

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:56 am   
Golden Panther

Here's some more info. This is from the Property Appraiser.

http://gisweb.miamidade.gov/propertysearch/default.html?folio=2540060011370

Note the folio number starts with 25. That's the code for City of Sweetwater.

FIU's folio starts with 30 (Miami-Dade County).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:04 pm   
Golden Panther

thanks for the research: off-campus it is.

p.s. the security issue went to readily finding out who has jurisdiction over the property.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:00 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUFan wrote:
thanks for the research: off-campus it is.

p.s. the security issue went to readily finding out who has jurisdiction over the property.

Gotcha. Happy to help.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:22 pm   
Golden Panther

The idea of making that area the UniversityCity is taking flight, and it definitely helps big time in at the very least take a big dent in the "commuter campus" mentality. Of course, it will still and always be a majority "commuter" campus, but if we can add 2-3 thousand students living just a couple of blocks away from FIU, it will impact campus life tremendously, together with the planned addition of another 2-3 thousand on campus. It would basically triple the amount of students living on campus, or walking distance from campus in a matter of 5-10 years.

Good stuff. Keep growing, FIU.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:42 am   
Golden Panther

With the planned addition; shouldn't we be pushing about 10,000 on/near-campus housing?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:17 am   
Golden Panther

FIUFan wrote:
With the planned addition; shouldn't we be pushing about 10,000 on/near-campus housing?

Man, just the thought of 10k student living on or around campus is amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:26 am   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
FIUFan wrote:

Man, just the thought of 10k student living on or around campus is amazing.

Yep, that's the size of small towns in the mid-west. Plus FIU just radiates out from there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:10 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUFan wrote:

I think that, with the new additions in UniversityCity and the Campus Master Plan for 2020, we could very well have like 7-8 thousand in MMC (University Park) by 2020 between on campus and Sweetwater UniversityCity area. Once FIU acquires the Youth Fairgrounds area, we will be, very likely, at or near 10 thousand in about 10 years or so. If UniversityCity concept really takes off, maybe even sooner.

Campus Master Plan Housing Element: http://facilities.fiu.edu/Documents/Pla ... lities.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:55 am   
Golden Panther

This 2nd project is further north than I was expecting. I know it's only 3 blocks away, but connectivity is important, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:32 am   
Golden Panther

https://www.facebook.com/UniversityCity ... iationFIU/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next