It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:02 pm

MLS @ F I U!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:12 pm   
Site Admin

You guys ask why we keep AD Garcia around and it is things like this that keep him around. IF the MLS comes to FIU stadium you can expect that a lot of the media upgrades would have to be made. As a matter of fact, you could probably expect a lot of infrastructure upgrades around the stadium. Petey has been working on this for a long time. He seems to pull this ish off annually.

Quote:
Beckham set to return to America as owner of new MLS franchise in Miami

David Beckham is in the final round of negotiations with backers for his return to Major League Soccer as the owner of a new franchise in Miami.
The former England captain had a clause in his original contract with LA Galaxy allowing him to buy an MLS club with a 25 per cent discount and has almost settled on Florida, where the MLS are keen to expand. He is expected to announce progress before Christmas once his co-investors are in place.

These could include Bolivia-born billionaire Marcelo Claure, who tried unsuccessfully to launch an MLS franchise in Florida in 2009 and joined Beckham in looking at potential stadiums in the Miami area last June.
Steve Ross, owner of the NFL’s Miami Dolphins, may also get involved, while another multi-millionaire certain to be part of the consortium is Beckham’s business partner Simon Fuller. The most likely home for the team is Florida International University’s stadium in Miami.

Meanwhile, the next team joining the MLS in 2015 is the Abu Dhabi-owned New York City, with Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano currently in charge of both clubs. NYC’s entry fee was around $100m (£62m), so Beckham’s discount, as well as his world-famous name, will be attractive to potential backers.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z2gUFzZ4H5
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:20 pm   
Golden Panther

MLS at FIU is likely a product of the efforts of Marcelo Claure (http://bot.fiu.edu/Trustees/Pages/Marcelo-Claure.aspx) more than the "efforts" of our beloved Pete Garcia.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:33 pm   
Site Admin

This is coming back up again....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:38 pm   
Golden Panther

Great!

Let's finish Phase III and maybe put those nice overhangs over the seats to shade and protect the fans from the rain like they do at all the European venues.

Real Grass and a practice facility to keep the high schools off the main stadium field and give the football team a place to practice.

Hope we can get some international stars here as well. Xavi, Ineista and Rooney are getting long in the tooth; would be great to have them here. :D

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:26 pm   
Cougar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:08 pm   
Site Admin

Apparently Legislation Submitted for FIU Stadium As Temp MLS Site
http://www.miamidade.gov/govaction/matter.asp?matter=142846&file=true&yearFolder=Y2014

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:37 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
Apparently Legislation Submitted for FIU Stadium As Temp MLS Site
http://www.miamidade.gov/govaction/matter.asp?matter=142846&file=true&yearFolder=Y2014

Hell yes. Great idea. I get why Beckham wants the downtown stadium, but I'd say making the franchise an actual fact takes priority right now. FIU makes the most sense for a temporary stadium in the entire area. Access is about as good there as anywhere else in South Florida.

Honestly, I'd say MLS Miami should just stay at FIU permanently. It's the perfect size and dimensions for such a franchise. Great location, too. Being downtown would be nice, but I don't think you necessarily need it for MLS to work. And it's easier to expand a stadium than have one built if capacity ever becomes an issue. Especially when you got FIU on your side.

FIUFan wrote:
Great!

Let's finish Phase III and maybe put those nice overhangs over the seats to shade and protect the fans from the rain like they do at all the European venues.

Real Grass and a practice facility to keep the high schools off the main stadium field and give the football team a place to practice.

Hope we can get some international stars here as well. Xavi, Ineista and Rooney are getting long in the tooth; would be great to have them here. :D

+1,000,000. Especially the overhang idea. Would make daytime games a hell of a lot more bearable, especially in September. Can't cost that much to get it done, either. That would make a hell of a lot more sense than a second level at this point.

I don't think the fake grass is that big a deal. Not for MLS, anyway. But if they want to pay to have a grass field installed, I wouldn't have a real problem with it. Problem is, that stadium gets a lot of use. You need something durable. Not sure the grass will stand up to that sort of usage.

Personally... I think the solution is the FIU soccer stadium. Create a practice facility there and have it double as the home of the soccer teams. God knows those bleachers need to go. Rip those suckers down and build a nice little place that can seat 5,000 or so with real bathrooms and concessions. Add a track while you're at it for track & field.

Have the FIU soccer teams play their games at the football stadium until it's complete and then move them back. Or... move soccer games to the football stadium permanently and keep the old soccer field as a practice facility for soccer/football and as a high school football stadium. With MLS already in place for soccer, it wouldn't be that much more trouble to do it, I would think.

FIU football should market their program as "the I". No one ever said that only Miami can call themselves by one letter. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:23 pm   
Site Admin

I think the renovation to the soccer field has to happen sometime soon, it is a disgrace, as is not having an on campus track facility. And yes, you could move the soccer team to the stadium but frankly building a new track/soccer facility shouldn't be that long you already have the infrastructure in the area, look how quickly the softball stadium popped up. Go F I U!