View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:09 pm   
Site Admin

FIU cuts would destroy the future
Posted on Wed, Jun. 11, 2008
FIU cuts would destroy the future
BY ANA MENENDEZ
Thursday, Florida International University's Board of Trustees meets at 11:30 a.m. on the University Park Campus. By day's end, if they approve the proposed cuts, the men and women of the board will have presided over one of the saddest chapters in FIU history: the elimination of more than 20 degrees and institutes.
The cuts were forced not by mismanagement or falling enrollment, but by a demagogic Legislature led by locals like Marco Rubio.

''The issue we had to decide, which hurts, is we can no longer be about full access to everyone,'' FIU's chief financial officer Vivian Sanchez told me.

LACK OF OUTRAGE

The Miami Herald has covered the story. But lack of public outrage suggests most people don't know how the cuts will remake the university and the region.

I offer here the full list:

Centers and Institutes to be ''terminated'': Center for Economic Research and Education; Center for Health Research and Policy; Future Aerospace Science and Technology Center for Space Cryoelectronics; Center for Ethnobiology and Natural Products; Institute for Children and Families at Risk; Intercultural Institute for Educational Initiatives.

Academic degrees to be cut: Bachelor of Arts Dance; Bachelor of Science English Teacher Education; Master of Science English Teacher Education; Master of Science Environmental and Urban Systems; Bachelor of Science Exercise Science; Master of Science Exercise Science; Bachelor of Arts German; Bachelor of Science Health Sciences; Bachelor of Arts Health Information Management; Bachelor of Arts Humanities; Bachelor of Business Administration Insurance and Risk Management; Bachelor of Science Industrial Systems Engineering; Master of Science Industrial Systems Engineering; Bachelor of Business Administration Logistics and Materials Management; Bachelor of Science Mathematics Teacher Education; Master of Science Mathematics Teacher Education; Bachelor of Science Music Teacher Education; Bachelor of Science Science Teacher Education; Master of Science Science Teacher Education; Bachelor of Science Social Science Teacher Education; Master of Science Social Science teacher Education; Master of Science Technology Management; Master of Science Tourism Studies; Bachelor of Science Travel and Tourism Management.

FLORIDA'S PRIORITIES

That huge block of text speaks volumes about Florida's priorities. No humanities? No industrial engineering? What kind of university will remain? As many as 75 percent of social studies department chairs in Miami-Dade public schools are FIU graduates. Now the program is being eliminated.

''I was horrified,'' said John Doyle, who directs the social science program for the county's public schools and has two masters degrees from FIU, including social science. ``I understand the economics, but putting those issues aside, this is not good for students.''

Twenty years ago, I graduated from St. Brendan High School as a member of the National Honor Society, with Ivy League-bound grades and test scores. But my parents did not let me go away to college. Thank God for FIU, which gave me a full scholarship. The education and guidance I received opened my world in ways I could not have imagined. Thousands of other studious young women and men also had to stay in Miami because of family or economics.

FIU was, for many of us, a refuge. Shame on the Florida Legislature for dismantling this great hope so the rich can continue to enjoy ridiculously low taxes and mediocre lawmakers can score a few points at the future's expense.

I can't say I disagree with this article, education has never been a priority for this state which is a shame. I know FIU was put in a bad spot by all the cuts, but I do hope that we can do something to save some of these programs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:07 pm   
Cougar

Very sad indeed. I'm not very familiar with university dealing yet, was this something that could have been avoided, more or less?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:02 pm   
Puma

I am an English Education major at FIU. To this day, I do not understand why the heck they would cut education programs. Education is such an important thing. We always need teachers.

So, I am going to switch over to Elementary Education. Let's hope that doesn't get cut someday either. *crosses fingers*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:15 pm   
Cougar

It's really, really sad. I can't believe it!