It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:14 pm

After 50 Years, It's Still...FIWho?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:16 am   
Puma

Whats the I for ?, that came from a COO I know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:15 pm   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:
FIU will be celebrating its golden anniversary this year. And after 50 years of incredible growth and accomplishments, our university is still almost completely unknown outside of the state of Florida. As a proud alum who lives in another state and who has traveled across the country, I can assure you that FIU gets no respect nationally. None. Zero.

If you bury your head in the sand and choose not to believe me, that’s fine. But it will not change the facts. Surely FIU must know this. It doesn’t take much time or money to conduct a national survey to gain an understanding of FIU’s national image and reputation.

Let me be clear: our school’s accomplishments over the past 50 years have earned national respect. But still doesn’t get it. Why? When will this change? Will it take another 50 years? Are we willing to wait this long?

The answer is simpler and easier than most realize. It will change when we change….our name. It’s time. And the 50th anniversary is the perfect time to do it. Does out leadership have the vision and courage to do it?

For the sake of discussion, let's just say FIU changed its name to Miami State.

Now, let's say that Harvard changed its name to the newly-available FIU. Would people no longer consider FIU (formerly Harvard) a prestigious institution? Would its professors be stripped of their research funding since they'd now be employed by an "online university"? Would high school students stop applying? Would the Ivy League kick them out?