southpaw shows he is a moron

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:35 pm   
Golden Panther

panther97 wrote:
que bola fiu wrote:
So was the decision made FPF?

Probably be back under a different screen name, if not already. There's a few on here who's stuff sounds suspiciously similar...down to the bad grammar...

ok... my grammar is bad too..

So just to clarify; he is not I. I am not him. He is not me. I is not him...

Screw it.... don't judge me..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:40 pm   
Site Admin

Yep, I'm done with him.

que bola fiu wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:13 am   
Golden Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
panther97 wrote:
que bola fiu wrote:

Probably be back under a different screen name, if not already. There's a few on here who's stuff sounds suspiciously similar...down to the bad grammar...

ok... my grammar is bad too..

So just to clarify; he is not I. I am not him. He is not me. I is not him...

Screw it.... don't judge me..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha! C'mon Chia, you know you my boy, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:34 am   
Golden Panther

Good riddance. I love the "freedom of speech" crowd. We all have the freedom of speech. We can say whatever the heck we want to. What we do not have is freedom from consequence.
I could walk into my boss's office today and MF him up and down. When he fires my a$$ for doing so I can not cry "Freedom of Speech!"
Same goes for a non-publicly funded internet message board. You spit in the face of the owner, he can boot you and your freedom of speech.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:50 am   
Golden Panther

Not really sure what went on here but I hope FPF gave him a couple warnings privately. I mean we all know who SouthPaw is/was and it's not unusual for him to let off steam here.

Changing the subject line is wrong; deleting it completely would have been more appropriate if what it said was completely inflammatory or vulgar.

In any event, I've made my case here many times supporting a name change (to mixed reviews) but beyond that, I agree with very little SouthPaw has said of late. So I won't lose any sleep over not being able to read any more of his opinions.

Finally to G. Goose's point, changing letterheads, etc. is the least of the matter in a name or logo change. The intangible costs of rebranding and getting the word out would far exceed those of allowing the old stationary to get used up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:01 am   
Golden Panther

They can use the old stationary to make paper airplanes. Doesn't seem like they're too busy with, you know, doing their jobs.
I'm indifferent regarding the name change. I don't dislike FIU, but it would be nice to wear my FIU gear outside of So. Fla without being asked "Where is FIU, anyway?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:14 am   
Golden Panther

Not sure how this is going to go over but I think we need a new President to get some excitement going around this school.

I can't remember the last earth-shaking news we've heard out of PC. With MM it was new this and new that every 6 months. I mean we were talking about Metro-lines and campus of the future around here all the time. New Law School, new Medical School, new Football team, Staduim upgrades, buidlings everywhere. Am I missing something here or is our current administration about as exciting as milk-toast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:21 pm   
Golden Panther

You're not wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:50 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUFan wrote:
Not really sure what went on here but I hope FPF gave him a couple warnings privately. I mean we all know who SouthPaw is/was and it's not unusual for him to let off steam here.

Changing the subject line is wrong; deleting it completely would have been more appropriate if what it said was completely inflammatory or vulgar.

In any event, I've made my case here many times supporting a name change (to mixed reviews) but beyond that, I agree with very little SouthPaw has said of late. So I won't lose any sleep over not being able to read any more of his opinions.

Finally to G. Goose's point, changing letterheads, etc. is the least of the matter in a name or logo change. The intangible costs of rebranding and getting the word out would far exceed those of allowing the old stationary to get used up.

Agreed. He runs the board and it's his right to boot him out if he wants to. Freedom of speech doesn't cover the consequential fallout. All it does is make sure you don't go to jail. Most of the time.

I get the intangible costs argument, but there's practical consequences when you make decisions like that. With a school that already has a tight budget, where's the money coming from to pay for all that? Unless, that is, you half-ass the name change and I assume you don't want to do that, right?

There's also all the political fallout. I can see the arguments already.

"Everyone in Miami knows where FIU is. Who cares if no one outside of South Florida does?"
"FIU has a bunch of other needs already. This is a waste of money."
"No one goes to games anyway. This is a waste of money."
"Smearing lipstick on a pig doesn't make it a woman. FIU is still FIU by any other name."
"It was good enough when the school started. Why change it now?"

I'm sure a lot of the academics would have a real hard time swallowing this pill. Especially if it's being done primarily for branding/Athletics reasons (and there's really no other reason to do it).

Plus there's the University of Miami influence. That school has historically had issues with nearly all of FIU's major initiatives and they're not afraid to use the political muscle. If you think a name change to anything that has "Miami" in it won't ruffle those feathers, think again.

Add the media influence. You know a move like this is going to get crapped on by more than a few outlets. That's just a fact. I know I had this convo a few times internally at QAM and most everyone thought it was stupid because "FIU will always be FIU. Stop trying to be like Miami."

Again... I'm not saying it's a bad idea. But intangible costs are hard to measure. Frankly, I think this is all moot because I don't see Rosenberg ever doing anything like this. It would take a Maidique type to get it done and he wasn't able to get anything done other than change the mascot.

Truthfully... I'd rather see FIU change the mascot back to the Sunblazers than re-name the entire school. I think it'd be easier to do that. But if you're going to change the school name, then get rid of the Panther, too. Having to share a mascot with 50 million other schools is dumb. Be something unique if that's the case.

Of all the names proposed, Miami State makes the most sense. I still think it's kind of dumb because Miami is a city and not a state, but Miami City University sounds terrible and State at least give it a college vibe. Besides... Miami State Sunblazers does sound nice to my ears.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:53 am   
Golden Panther

I feel like I've written this a million times, but here goes...

The average American cannot tell you the location (city, specifically) of the majority of the NCAA member institutions. Division I (FBS) has over 120 teams. Most people don't know where Temple or Marshall are and that doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:17 am   
Golden Panther

so many points and I really don't want to get into a long, drawn-out debate over this again but there were a couple of points and anecdotes that I wanted to address.

A.) No big change is ever going to occur w/o a huge ground swell from the FIU community and that's not likely to happen. Madique floated the idea in the mid-90's to a luke warm reception; though I have to say he never gave us the alternative. If he would have made a real push and tried to get people motivated behind the idea of a Miami State, who knows what might have happened.

B.) The Syracuse grads of the local sports media have ZERO say on what we do or don't do. If we want to emphasize the fact we are in Miami and call ourselves FIU-Miami or Miami State of UF-Miami, that's up to us. I could care less what a bunch of carpet-baggers think or say. The 2.5 million people of Dade County decided to change the name of the place they lived (via a vote) to Miami-Dade Co. The name is there to be used if we so choose.

Oh yeah, C.) As you say, UM blocks and obfuscates FIU at every turn. Their ilk was behind, the stalling of this school from ever being formed, adding our professional schools and keeping a negative light on us in the media. Fine, that's their purpose in life. But "ruffling" the Ibis's feathers concerns me little.

So if we want to add Miami to our name in any way, shape or form, that's up to us. And having Miami on the back of the soccer jersey's may just be the beginning.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:43 pm   
Golden Panther

I know I've said this before, but I'll try again. Even IF FIU ever decided to go through with this (they won't), the names Miami State of UF-Miami wouldn't fly.

Here are the names of the institutions that make up the university system of Florida:

Florida A&M University
Florida Atlantic University
Florida Gulf Coast University
Florida International University
Florida State University
New College of Florida
University of Central Florida
University of Florida
University of North Florida
University of South Florida
University of West Florida

Notice anything? They all have Florida in it. Because of this our name would have to have Florida in it, and UF-Florida just sounds like a satellite campus for UF, and nobody is going to have that.

IF the name were to ever change it would have to be something like:

The University of Southeast Florida,
Southeast Florida State University,
Florida Southeastern University (doubt this one, b/c of Southeastern)

or something with simply east and no south like:

East Florida University

Those are my thoughts, feel free to discuss names and speculate, but it won't change the fact that we're not going to change our name and honestly, our money is better spent elsewhere like research. I love my panthers, but I care about FIU more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:10 am   
Golden Panther

maskaros wrote:
I know I've said this before, but I'll try again. Even IF FIU ever decided to go through with this (they won't), the names Miami State of UF-Miami wouldn't fly.

Here are the names of the institutions that make up the university system of Florida:

Florida A&M University
Florida Atlantic University
Florida Gulf Coast University
Florida International University
Florida State University
New College of Florida
University of Central Florida
University of Florida
University of North Florida
University of South Florida
University of West Florida

Notice anything? They all have Florida in it. Because of this our name would have to have Florida in it, and UF-Florida just sounds like a satellite campus for UF, and nobody is going to have that.

IF the name were to ever change it would have to be something like:

The University of Southeast Florida,
Southeast Florida State University,
Florida Southeastern University (doubt this one, b/c of Southeastern)

or something with simply east and no south like:

East Florida University

Those are my thoughts, feel free to discuss names and speculate, but it won't change the fact that we're not going to change our name and honestly, our money is better spent elsewhere like research. I love my panthers, but I care about FIU more.

Is the "Florida" thing really a rule or just a custom? Would be interesting to know that answer. Either way, I'd say there's an easy way to get around that if you want Miami State (or any other name not Florida). Just add "of Florida" to the end of the official name. (Miami State University of Florida, for example). Then just drop the "of Florida" part when marketing the school.

It works for the LA Angels (of Anaheim). Both the Louisiana schools in the Sun Belt don't use the city name for marketing purposes, either. Especially Lafayette.

East Florida's an interesting choice, I must say. I could live with that. You'd still have the location issue but it sounds way more traditional college than FIU.

Southeast Florida's more accurate but double directional might not help much more than FIU for marketing purposes. LA-Monroe (formerly Northeast LA) and LA-Lafayette (Southwestern LA) would attest to that, I'd say.

pikedanny wrote:
I feel like I've written this a million times, but here goes...

The average American cannot tell you the location (city, specifically) of the majority of the NCAA member institutions. Division I (FBS) has over 120 teams. Most people don't know where Temple or Marshall are and that doesn't matter.

True. But what about all the other schools that have a location in their name, be it a state or a city or a region? There's lots of those, too. Way more of those at the big boy level than Marshall, Rice or Temple types. They may not represent a specific city, but they do represent a specific location and people do know those locations.

All you know with FIU from the name is that it's somewhere in Florida. If it was one of a few schools in Florida, maybe that works fine for marketing. But, as cited above, you got a ton of Florida schools, so that doesn't really distinguish you much from the pack. Also... all the other publics except for New (never knew they were a public) do give at least a sense of where it is in Florida. Even FAU and FGCU.

To me, when it comes to the name, I think it needs to answer a simple question. Does it represent the school properly? Or, put another way, does the name reflect what the school is? Speaking for myself, I'd have to say Miami State is probably a better representative than FIU is. The school's demographics are largely Miami even with the international students. FIU represents Miami better than the U does, that's for sure.

Also... and this might be more to the point for the purposes of marketing, Athletics, alumni outreach and attracting students... how much does Miami really sell? Speaking again for myself, I have a lot of pride in where I come from. Most Miamians do, I'd say. If FIU were Miami State, would students that didn't care about the FIU name now embrace Miami State as a name because it reps Miami? I would love to see some sort of scientific study answering that question. Anecdotally, though... I think the answer to that is "yes". If it is... then maybe a name change is worth considering because it would resonate better with the majority. A majority that you're trying to get to come to games and donate dollars, I might add.

Maybe Miami State or a name with Miami in it brings the "cool" factor that FIU just doesn't have to more people. Not saying it does, but I think it's at least an idea worth exploring.

FIUFan wrote:
so many points and I really don't want to get into a long, drawn-out debate over this again but there were a couple of points and anecdotes that I wanted to address.

A.) No big change is ever going to occur w/o a huge ground swell from the FIU community and that's not likely to happen. Madique floated the idea in the mid-90's to a luke warm reception; though I have to say he never gave us the alternative. If he would have made a real push and tried to get people motivated behind the idea of a Miami State, who knows what might have happened.

B.) The Syracuse grads of the local sports media have ZERO say on what we do or don't do. If we want to emphasize the fact we are in Miami and call ourselves FIU-Miami or Miami State of UF-Miami, that's up to us. I could care less what a bunch of carpet-baggers think or say. The 2.5 million people of Dade County decided to change the name of the place they lived (via a vote) to Miami-Dade Co. The name is there to be used if we so choose.

Oh yeah, C.) As you say, UM blocks and obfuscates FIU at every turn. Their ilk was behind, the stalling of this school from ever being formed, adding our professional schools and keeping a negative light on us in the media. Fine, that's their purpose in life. But "ruffling" the Ibis's feathers concerns me little.

So if we want to add Miami to our name in any way, shape or form, that's up to us. And having Miami on the back of the soccer jersey's may just be the beginning.

I agree with you on A completely.

As for B... I wouldn't say 0% impact, but you're certainly correct on the rest, I'd say. I think you also know that Miami's feather-ruffling will extend to the media. If a name change were to ever happen, hearts and minds have to be won over. That means a battle in the media. That's the arena where the battle would be fought and won. It's really more than just an FIU decision. That's really a political decision. FIU would have to go to the state to get permission.

Maybe having "Miami" on the jersey is the beginning. Maybe. Color me skeptical, though. Maybe someone just thought it'd look nice. Would be nice to know the story behind that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:34 pm   
Golden Panther

How ' bout, FIU/MIAMI? FIUM. Easy fix; we could all just add an M to all of our stuff with a magic marker. And bring back Sunblazers, for all the reasons CC cited. If not Sunblazers, then something else unique and South Florida that sets us apart.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:58 pm   
Golden Panther

I would stay away from East Florida University.

EFU - Eeeh F U :mrgreen:

Let's not make it any easier for our detractors