It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:41 am

FIU Veterinary School?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:10 pm   
Site Admin

A local Spanish language paper had the following story in which the Miami Dade County Commission approved a resolution to work with FIU in the establishment of a veterinary school. It would be only the 2nd veterinary school in the state (after UF). I actually think that a veterinary and dental school should be 2 things that FIU need to look at establishing. Go F I U!

Quote:
FIU contará con nueva facultad de veterinaria
por MiamiDiario Hoy a las 11:59 horas

La resolución indica que la oficina el Alcalde coordiará con la FIU en forma conjunta con el sistema universitario de la Florida para establecer en los próximos meses dicha universidad.

La Comisión del Condado de Miami-Dade aprobó recientemente una resolución para colaborar con la Universidad Internacional de la Florida (FIU por sus siglas en inglés), para crear una facultad de veterinaria en la universidad.

La Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria de de la Universidad de la Florida en Gainesville, es actualmente la única facultad de veterinaria en el sistema universitario estatal.

"El establecimiento de una facultad de veterinaria en FIU satisfacerá una necesidad importante en esta comunidad en vista de nuestra gran población de mascotas", dijo el comisionado Díaz.

La resolución indica que la oficina el Alcalde coordiará con la FIU en forma conjunta con el sistema universitario de la Florida para establecer en los próximos meses dicha universidad.

El comisionado Díaz ha sido un firme defensor de las mascotas y desde abril de este año que está impulsando esta legislación.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:04 pm   
Golden Panther

Is that part of the plan down in Homestead ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:09 am   
Golden Panther

That would be huge!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:09 am   
Golden Panther

New York and Texas only have one accredited school each. California has two. Only 3 states have more than 1. None have more than 2. And roughly half the states don't have a single one. (Based on a quick Google.)

What is the need? Will a benefactor donate enough money to pay for the start-up costs? I wonder if this has Board of Governor or Legislative support. Because this proposal is going nowhere without politics coming into play.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:24 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUNole wrote:
New York and Texas only have one accredited school each. California has two. Only 3 states have more than 1. None have more than 2. And roughly half the states don't have a single one. (Based on a quick Google.)

What is the need? Will a benefactor donate enough money to pay for the start-up costs? I wonder if this has Board of Governor or Legislative support. Because this proposal is going nowhere without politics coming into play.

I'm pretty sure, if this news is correct of FIU trying to add a Vet School, that the administrators fully know the legal and political background and support needed to bring this about.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:44 pm   
Golden Panther

Junior class project would be to keep a live panther and domesticate him for the Foosball games... a Pu$$! Kitty for our foosball team.

115-7? WHAT THE HELL. Did we play in the Final 4 NC games?

Happy new year guys.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:53 pm   
Golden Panther

we need a VET school to deal with all the "animales" from sec 112!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:25 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Fanatic wrote:
FIUNole wrote:

I'm pretty sure, if this news is correct of FIU trying to add a Vet School, that the administrators fully know the legal and political background and support needed to bring this about.

I didn't ask if FIU knows what it takes to add a new program like this.

I asked:
1. What is the need?
2. Is there any reason to think the State will approve it (the BoG and Legislature)?
3. Who is going to pay for it?

As I said, states the same size/larger than Florida only have 1. And half of all states don't have a single Vet school. There needs to be a compelling case for "need" as well as a large benefactor otherwise I don't support my tax dollars going towards the program.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:38 am   
Cougar

FIUNole wrote:
FIU Fanatic wrote:
FIUNole wrote:

I asked:
1. What is the need?
2. Is there any reason to think the State will approve it (the BoG and Legislature)?

As I said, states the same size/larger than Florida only have 1. And half of all states don't have a single Vet school. There needs to be a compelling case for "need" as well as a large benefactor otherwise I don't support my tax dollars going towards the program.

The need is there due to fact that people get weight listed for years because there aren't enough schools to meet the deman. My girlfriend is a Vet, went to undergrad at UF, which has a Vet school but was weight listed for 2 years. She finally ended up attending a new school in California for 3 times the amount of money she would have spent in Florida. If FIU were to get a vet school, that would help put us on the map big time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:28 am   
Golden Panther

I agree its huge! My daughter wants to a VET. She already has plans for her undergrad out of state, but VET school at home as a post grad program would save me thousands$$$$!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:32 am   
Site Admin

I think he means demand from a business standpoint. With 3 new med schools Florida is still going to have a shortage in doctors based on projected growth.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:18 pm   
Golden Panther

Sexpanther1029 wrote:
FIUNole wrote:

I asked:
1. What is the need?

The need is there due to fact that people get weight listed for years because there aren't enough schools to meet the deman. My girlfriend is a Vet, went to undergrad at UF, which has a Vet school but was weight listed for 2 years. She finally ended up attending a new school in California for 3 times the amount of money she would have spent in Florida. If FIU were to get a vet school, that would help put us on the map big time.

That is not the need/demand I am talking about.

Is there a need for more veterinarians? Are people unable to provide their pets and livestock with treatment due to a shortage of veterinarians? That is need. It doesn't matter if it's hard to get into vet school. That should have no bearing in this matter whatsoever.

There is a shortage of medical doctors, so they've built more med schools, physician assistant programs, nurse practitioner programs, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:16 pm   
Cougar

FIUNole wrote:
Sexpanther1029 wrote:
FIUNole wrote:

I asked:
1. What is the need?

That is not the need/demand I am talking about.

Is there a need for more veterinarians? Are people unable to provide their pets and livestock with treatment due to a shortage of veterinarians? That is need. It doesn't matter if it's hard to get into vet school. That should have no bearing in this matter whatsoever.

There is a shortage of medical doctors, so they've built more med schools, physician assistant programs, nurse practitioner programs, etc.

I hear what you're saying. However, as sad as it might be to recogcognize it, the trust is, universities couldn't care less about the job market, they are a business and as long as there is demand for a particular degree, they will want to offer it and make money from it (especially if students are lining up for it). Think about how many useless degrees schools offer.

I couldnt really tell you if there is a shortage of vets or not, but the ones I do know are all working.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:48 pm   
Golden Panther

I understand the "greed" aspect of it. But it would need approval from the state legislature and the Board of Governors. Without that, it almost certainly won't happen. FIU either needs evidence showing there is a shortage while already having huge start-up donations in-hand, or an incredibly powerful pro-vet school legislator ram it through. UF and their caucus will likely oppose it.