It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:12 pm

FIU to build football practice fields over part of Preserve?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:54 am   
Golden Panther

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/fiu-p ... ds-8295313

To be fair, they plan to then recreate the developed portion elsewhere on land contiguous with the preserve.

THE problem, though, is that just 3 months ago FIU was announcing their intention to put the fields JUST west of the stadium (NOT in the preserve). They gave presentations to this effect. And now all of a sudden they want to put them on top of the preserve? I'm not sure I can support FIU or the football program on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:56 pm   
Golden Panther

This is a terrible idea. The preserve is one of my favorite parts of FIU. The campus has turned into a concrete jungle as it stands. Why get rid of pretty much the only unspoiled part? Especially for fields? Come on. I get wanting to save money and keep parking - frankly, that's a better reason - but this is just not cool.

Here's a crazy thought... why not demolish the soccer stadium, build your extra fields there (using the parking lot as well) and just have the soccer teams play at the football stadium? The stadium's pretty much goners as it stands. You could also go ahead and build the track that's needed for track & field around one of the fields.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:02 pm   
Cougar

I was at the townhall meeting today on campus...seems like they're trying to save money. Building over the north part of the preserve will save them about 1.4 million. They have no regards for the 7,000 plus students who signed the petition in a 4 day time span. Then they wonder why no one supports athletics on campus. Listen to what the students are saying.

They have the engineering campus wide open. Build temporary fields there while you waitmformthe fair grounds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:46 pm   
Site Admin

Looks like the trustees approved the land swap. Should beinteresting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:46 pm   
Golden Panther

So they're paving over the pond and the "new" Preserve won't have one? Fantastic job, FIU. Brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:12 pm   
Cougar

FIUNole wrote:
So they're paving over the pond and the "new" Preserve won't have one? Fantastic job, FIU. Brilliant.

The pond will be relocated to the south side of the preserve.

Still not in favor of this alteration no matter how much I want to see the team succeed. There are bigger things than football in life.