It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:34 am

Nova Southeastern University has surpassed us on academics.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:06 am   
Puma

I read this on the football forum that on the latest US News and World Report ratings of National Universities, Nova Southeastern University is now a tier 1 university, while our beloved FIU is still unranked or officially called Ratings Not Published. I did not believe it, I had to pull up the latest US News ranking to see for my own eyes and sadly it is true. Nova Southeastern is ranked 214 nationally, while we are still rating not published.

How can this possibly be? When I lived in Florida, Nova was a school that you only needed a pulse and a checkbook to get into. They were a school you went to if you could not get into any other school. That sadly has changed it seems. Out of all schools, how in the heck did Nova surpass us? We used to want to compete with Central Florida and South Florida, not only are we not competing with them but we cannot even compete with Nova.

As I always believed, the leadership at FIU does not care about the quality or to get the FIU name beyond SW 8th Street. They are perfectly happy being an extension of Miami-Dade College. As long as students fill the seats at FIU they do not care about anything else.

This university used to have promise in all aspects, since Madique have left that promise have been flushed down the toilet. Instead of getting better, they have been going down hill.

So, the students in South Florida that want a quality education can now go to Nova instead of our beloved FIU.

I am still shocked and sadden by this. I just wish the leadership at FIU wanted better then this, but, they certainly do not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:20 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I think FIU kicked the bucket on ever being a competitive school when they decided to expand the student body to 50,000 and pat themselves on the back on how they are "educating" that many kids while contributing the the oversaturation of the job market with worthless liberal arts degrees.

This, of course, is not unique to FIU (except for maybe the student body number) as most universities are in a similar position.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:56 am   
Juvenile Panther

According to the US News website, the score is compiled according to a couple of factors, such as 6 year graduation rate, selectivity, financial aid resources. The whole 2020 initiative is tackling the low graduation rate. Meanwhile, the law and medical school are shining. The law having the highest percentage of students passing the board in Florida, while the medical students are scoring a standard deviation higher on their UMSLEs than the rest of the country.

Yeah being "unranked" sucks but 1) its just one list and 2) give it time.