It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:01 pm

FIU and US Immigration Laws

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:25 pm   
Cougar

The new administration coming into Washington takes a very hard line when enforcing immigration laws, and strengthening our boarders. Therefore, if FIU becomes a sanctuary school it will put us in the cross hairs of the federal government.

The FIU Administration has chosen to take a very public stance and protect students that are here illegally. But, as we all are aware of, this a very dangerous position to take. FIU is supported by federal dollars that grow the university and the student body.

As we all know, Miami has a very large immigrant community, but we cannot cater to those groups that have clearly broken U.S. laws. We must have law and order at any cost, if we don't, then our community will crumble.

In closing, President Rosenberg and FIU Board of Trustees will endanger everything we have built.

This is a battle we cannot win.....

Please see link below for more about this issue.
http://news.fiu.edu/2016/11/daca-and-un ... fiu/106626

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:01 pm   
Golden Panther

Seems like a fear-mongering propaganda piece.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:12 pm   
Cougar

No, not at all, just the truth....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:32 am   
Golden Panther

"Law and order at all cost" :shock: :shock:

With respect to the "sanctuary school", I honestly don't care either way. But 'nole is right, your OP is fearmongering.

1) DACA IS the law of the land.
Quote:
Current Florida law provides for all students, including undocumented students, who graduate from Florida high schools and meet other conditions, to receive a waiver of the out-of- state fee for tuition purposes. This is the law in Florida.

FIU's Nov 28th 2016 Letter

Change that law before asking FIU to break that law.

2) FIU, FIU students or FIU faculty are not the only ones wanting the current law to remain in effect.
Trump's alma mater, becomes sanctuary campus for undocumented students
Columbia University to provide sanctuary, financial support for undocumented students
A bunch of Texas school considering it
USF president joins hundreds of college leaders in signing pro-DACA open letter
UF President Fuchs pledges support for DACA program

There are more out there including the AAU but I selected a mix since you seem to believe that only universities within high immigrant areas who want to respect the current laws on the book.

"Law and order at all cost" right? Or just the laws you like?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:03 pm   
Site Admin

This guy has been trying to start some sort of racial conversation on this site for a while now. At first it was with the football HC position, then he disappeared on that discussion because FIU hired the best person for the job which is what they would have done regardless. He keeps harping on it, like we are supposed to be ashamed that we are a majority Hispanic school. We had one like him before and that person was eliminated from the site simply because I'm not going to allow someone to degrade the majority of the FIU students and alumni, including myself. Keep the race talk off this board, I'm not going to have it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:40 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Really appreciate that, FPF. Village idiot makes the whole town look bad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:20 pm   
Cougar

I want to comment on some of these statements
“FIU4ever” stated that DACA IS the law of the land, yes and no. Yes, it is an executive order issued by President Obama. The last time I checked the President of the United States cannot make laws only the U.S Congress .This was an overreach by the president, which cannot be sustained for the foreseeable future. Plus, this will be struck down by President Elect Trump’s Administration. And this order will go the way of the horse and buggy, which became obsolete and useless…..

The other comment that I have been stirring up racial tensions on the boards, is untrue. I have been pointing some of the comments of others that feel that one has to be Hispanic in order to connect with the community.

Also, I was unaware that FIU is the designated “Hispanic school”, in Miami. I have never seen the university that way, to me and to a lot of others, we see opportunity, and knowledge. There is so much more to FIU and so many have contributed to the success, of the school. This does not belong to one specific group; it belongs to all of us.

Therefore, to condemn me and condone members is rather short sided, but, this is your house, and I’m just a guest. So I will be politically correct, I don’t want anyone to run to a “safe place, and get a jar of Playdough and start cranking up Twister Sister”………
https://youtu.be/V9AbeALNVkk

Btw, I have not been mia just taking a long nap!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:47 am   
Golden Panther

Katar1 wrote:
“FIU4ever” stated that DACA IS the law of the land, yes and no. Yes, it is an executive order issued by President Obama.

ex·ec·u·tive or·der
a rule or order issued by the president to an executive branch of the government and having the force of law.

If I recall correctly a few years ago Florida passed a law that gave undocumented graduates of Florida high schools in-state tuition waivers.
Katar1 wrote:
This was an overreach by the president, which cannot be sustained for the foreseeable future. Plus, this will be struck down by President Elect Trump’s Administration.

So you want FIU to break current laws because there may be new ones coming soon? I am sure FIU will do what it has always done with respect to adhering to the laws of the land after Trump is sworn in.

But that was not my main point.
"The FIU Administration has chosen to take a very public stance and protect students that are here illegally." - there are hundreds of universities across this country that have taken similar stand as FIU on this topic, including Florida's flagship university.
"Miami has a very large immigrant community" - I listed universities in communities that are NOT predominently made up of immigrants
"we cannot cater to those groups that have clearly broken U.S. laws" - See earlier discussion on the CURRENT LAW OF THE LAND. You are a law & order guy, right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:25 am   
Site Admin

No one said FIU is a Hispanic school. I said, quite clearly, that FIU has a Hispanic majority. That's simply the facts. Check the demographics and check yourself because you are hitting a dead end.

Katar1 wrote:
“FIU4ever” stated that DACA IS the law of the land, yes and no. Yes, it is an executive order issued by President Obama. The last time I checked the President of the United States cannot make laws only the U.S Congress .This was an overreach by the president, which cannot be sustained for the foreseeable future. Plus, this will be struck down by President Elect Trump’s Administration. And this order will go the way of the horse and buggy, which became obsolete and useless…..

The other comment that I have been stirring up racial tensions on the boards, is untrue. I have been pointing some of the comments of others that feel that one has to be Hispanic in order to connect with the community.

Also, I was unaware that FIU is the designated “Hispanic school”, in Miami. I have never seen the university that way, to me and to a lot of others, we see opportunity, and knowledge. There is so much more to FIU and so many have contributed to the success, of the school. This does not belong to one specific group; it belongs to all of us.

Therefore, to condemn me and condone members is rather short sided, but, this is your house, and I’m just a guest. So I will be politically correct, I don’t want anyone to run to a “safe place, and get a jar of Playdough and start cranking up Twister Sister”………
https://youtu.be/V9AbeALNVkk

Btw, I have not been mia just taking a long nap!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:35 am   
Golden Panther

Katar1 wrote:
No, not at all, just the truth....

You are clearly not being truthful if you're claiming not to see any intolerance or propaganda in your backwards beliefs and incendiary rhetoric.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:48 am   
Puma

As an impartial independent that is not in favor of this upcoming administration for an abundant amount of reasons. I can tell you that I know from my travels around the world and knowing international as well as treaty law, you are clearly mistaken on your points.

1. Universities have always been a haven for international students and they have the legal sovereignty to bring who they feel suits the university.

2. As for DACA and I know the person who started this movement. They are people that are tax paying individuals with limitations due to their immigration status in addition living with a long rigorous process that does not get things going at a comprehensive matter. These people are intelligent people that come from different parts of the world that actually contribute to our society. Isn't that what Americans want? To have someone with education to contribute to our economy?

a.F-1 visas for full-time students at academic institutions (colleges, universities, or high schools) or in language training programs;
b. M-1 visas for full-time students at vocational or other nonacademic institutions;
c. F-3 and M-3 visas for nationals of Canada and Mexico who commute to the United States for full- or part-time study at academic institutions (F-3) or vocational or other nonacademic institutions (M-3); and
d. J-1 visas for exchange program participants. (Note: university or college students engaged in certain scholarship or exchange programs comprise only 1 of 14 J-1 categories; the others include physicians participating in graduate-level training, summer work-travel students, visiting professors and research scholars, and au pairs.)

*By the way there is already a wall in place between Mexico and the U.S.A, so I have no idea why this man was trying to amplify this tangible notion. Most immigrants come legally with a legal visa anyways and over stay their time. (Source, I am from the Southwest and I have seen that wall).

The government benefits from these "illegals" from your Mexican or lower developed countries' fruit pickers to your wealthy Russian and other well funded illegal that contributes a huge amount of money due to all procedures in the system. I would even go that they probably contribute more money to the federal system (Taxes and etc) than your average Southern or Mid-Western American who is the majority of federal benefits.

Trump is already bumping heads with his advisers, so I don't see any hard line politics coming up. Now, if you want to look at it from historical aspect. President Ronald Reagan gave amnesty to a good portion of illegals and was able to work with the Democrats to get our useless Mexican border wall. Repeat?

Finally, these jobs that people are talking about are not being taken by immigrants. Last time I checked I haven't seen a picker from redneck Alabama, They are being taken by machines that work more efficiently, accurately and manufacture at a rapid rate. Its the reason why most companies outsourced their manufacturing labor because it comes out cheaper or little to nothing and sells cheaper with a profit.

Now, the whole point of NAFTA which was drafted by George Bush Sr. was to create jobs in Mexico to cap on immigration and give them an incentive not to come to the U.S. aaaaaaannd it worked. Now, they are less Mexicans crossing the border than ever and to the point that Mexican companies are creating jobs here for Americans (e.i. Bimbo Bakeries U.S.A, that bought Sara Lee, Entenmanns, Ballpark, and etc and they sponsor an MLS team Philadelphia Union).

https://bimbobakeriesusa.com/brands

The whole vision of pioneering in America was to innovate and progress as new sectors of industry are filling in old gaps.

As my white ass uncle from Kentucky would say: "If you can't get out of these small towns and make in the city, its because of a reason and that reason ain't a good thing."

Katar1 wrote:
The new administration coming into Washington takes a very hard line when enforcing immigration laws, and strengthening our boarders. Therefore, if FIU becomes a sanctuary school it will put us in the cross hairs of the federal government.

The FIU Administration has chosen to take a very public stance and protect students that are here illegally. But, as we all are aware of, this a very dangerous position to take. FIU is supported by federal dollars that grow the university and the student body.

As we all know, Miami has a very large immigrant community, but we cannot cater to those groups that have clearly broken U.S. laws. We must have law and order at any cost, if we don't, then our community will crumble.

In closing, President Rosenberg and FIU Board of Trustees will endanger everything we have built.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:13 pm   
Cougar

Katar1 wrote:

People like you are the reason a majority of Americans believe trump is a racist.

What does Miami's immigrant community have to do with lawbreakers?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:23 pm   
Cougar

A new day has come the dark clouds have been removed and the sun has stated to stream in. The sanctuary cities will crumble before the power and strength of President Donald J Trump. Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez has seen the writing on the wall and decided to throw in the towel before the federal dollars are squeezed out of the county’s budget. Universities are next, and they will fall to, and FIU, may be one of the casualties I hope not but, one never knows ……….MAGA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:22 pm   
Puma

Katar1 wrote:
A new day has come the dark clouds have been removed and the sun has stated to stream in. The sanctuary cities will crumble before the power and strength of President Donald J Trump. Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez has seen the writing on the wall and decided to throw in the towel before the federal dollars are squeezed out of the county’s budget. Universities are next, and they will fall to, and FIU, may be one of the casualties I hope not but, one never knows ……….MAGA

Dude, I am going to start with this. First of all keep your politics to yourself, Its ridiculous that you are trying to force a topic that no one in the board wants to talk about.