It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:45 am

USC / UCLA <----> Miami / Miami State

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
Author Message
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:41 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:30 pm
Posts: 616
Since it was rivalry week last week, I thought I'd post this simple (yet elusive at FIU for some inexplicable reason) concept. Anyone at FIU who doesn't understand, believe in, and execute on this simple concept should be fired immediately.

_________________
FIU is the city of Miami's only state university.
FIU is Miami State University.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University


Last edited by SouthPaw on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:25 am   
Puma

Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:18 pm
Posts: 367
I agree we need a name change, but, no one else wants it. The more you bring it up, the more the other members will not take your other ideas seriously.

Again, I agree with you, but you can not shove it done the other members throats as no matter what you say they do not want it nor does the administration. They love the name International in our name even though we are far from an international school.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:37 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 2107
SouthPaw wrote:
Since it was rivalry week last week, I thought I'd post this simple (yet elusive at FIU for some inexplicable reason) concept. Anyone at FIU who doesn't understand, believe in, and execute on this simple concept should be fired immediately.


Just as Dade County, a couple decades ago, realised the intrinsic value of adding Miami to its name, FIU should some how figure out a way to do this as well. The name 'International' gives us a perception that those going here are not from here and that we are somehow un-American. Nothing could be further from the truth. Though we have a large international population (which should be expected from some 55,000 students), we were born here, we pay taxes here and will live our lives here.

We had the chance to chage the name of the university back in the 80's (during my undergrad days) but the issue either wasn't explained well or there was no real appetite from the community at the time. Everyone knows Miami is an interantional cross-roads (maybe we helped with that), however being international in Miami is now redundant and we now need to more closely identify with the community in which we are the leading educational institution.

Miami State, University of Florida - Miami, Florida State - Miami or some other derivation would serve this university better at this time than some nebulous name like International. We were stuck with that name 50 years ago, perhaps it is now time to rebrand ourselves.

_________________
FIU: the University of Florida in Miami

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:05 am   
Puma

Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:18 pm
Posts: 367
Wow SouthPaw, I am very surprised and pleased that someone else other than myself agrees with you. Would love to change the name to sound like a real traditional university instead of a diploma mill university. Also, I agree "FIUFan" the student population lives in Miami, majority were born in Miami USA, and, pay taxes in Miami. No need to have International in the name.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:25 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 2107
Panthers2008 wrote:
Wow SouthPaw, I am very surprised and pleased that someone else other than myself agrees with you. Would love to change the name to sound like a real traditional university instead of a diploma mill university. Also, I agree "FIUFan" the student population lives in Miami, majority were born in Miami USA, and, pay taxes in Miami. No need to have International in the name.


We've had this conversation (many times) before. I now think more people would take greater pride in this university if 'international' was dropped and Miami was incorproated into the name. Not sure what the mood is about the subject in and around campus but it would need political and adminstrative support to move forward on this.

_________________
FIU: the University of Florida in Miami

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:36 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm
Posts: 1886
USC/UCLA <-----> Miami/FIU

The rivalry will grow if both programs are relatively successful and the games are competitive. Name doesn't mean a THING.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:39 am   
Puma

Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:18 pm
Posts: 367
FIUFan wrote:
Panthers2008 wrote:
Wow SouthPaw, I am very surprised and pleased that someone else other than myself agrees with you. Would love to change the name to sound like a real traditional university instead of a diploma mill university. Also, I agree "FIUFan" the student population lives in Miami, majority were born in Miami USA, and, pay taxes in Miami. No need to have International in the name.


We've had this conversation (many times) before. I now think more people would take greater pride in this university if 'international' was dropped and Miami was incorproated into the name. Not sure what the mood is about the subject in and around campus but it would need political and adminstrative support to move forward on this.


I completely agree, the problem is I do not believe we would receive the political and/or administrative support that we need. I truly believe that the politicians in and around Miami love International when it relates to Miami and any administration that says anything against that, would not be liked in the least as in potentially fired if they spoke up, including President Rosenberg.

The local politicans would not have it, the local administrators would not have it, and any administrators that actually would like the name changed would not speak up as there would be a lot of pressure on them if they did.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:01 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 2107
Panthers2008 wrote:
I completely agree, the problem is I do not believe we would receive the political and/or administrative support that we need. I truly believe that the politicians in and around Miami love International when it relates to Miami and any administration that says anything against that, would not be liked in the least as in potentially fired if they spoke up, including President Rosenberg.
The local politicans would not have it, the local administrators would not have it, and any administrators that actually would like the name changed would not speak up as there would be a lot of pressure on them if they did.


Respectfully, what you say is not necessarily true. Politicians are slaves to their constituencies and the 'President' of the university is also an official [appointed by a search committe lead by the Board of Directors] who basically leads the university with over-sight from the Board of Directors.

It is suprisingly uncomplicated to get ideas done if they have merit and can convince members of the BOD. Don't get me wrong, changing the name would be a complicated process, however, if 2 or 3 board members, esp. one or two with the most clout where to champion the idea and they could prove merit, others might follow. And once you get a majority of the board on board, they begin to speak with local polititians expounding the virtues of the idea and the 'pebble in the pond' begins to radiate out. Similar to FIU's push for a Medical School.

To tell you the truth, I don't think anyone who has been around here for awhile is in love with the 'international' aspect of our name. Sure we are international, that's a given, but now that we are playing on a more national stage, the name really does hold us back.

_________________
FIU: the University of Florida in Miami

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin


Last edited by FIUFan on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:37 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm
Posts: 1886
University President is not an elected official.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:54 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 2107
pikedanny wrote:
University President is not an elected official.


I'll need to educate myself. Thanks.

Fixed it.

_________________
FIU: the University of Florida in Miami

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:14 pm   
Puma

Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:18 pm
Posts: 367
Yes, the president does lead the university like the President of the United States leads the country, but if the constituents does not like what the president is doing then the president is not going to have happy people within their own party.

I still believe the president of FIU would have a very difficult time confincing the majority, that changing out International in the name is a good idea. I would love it as it would give us more of a true university name, but, the policians around the area and the other administration would not like the idea for certain reasons. I hope I am wrong but this is just message board talk, we see no evidence this is being discussed among the people of power.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:41 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 2107
Panthers2008 wrote:
Yes, the president does lead the university like the President of the United States leads the country, but if the constituents does not like what the president is doing then the president is not going to have happy people within their own party.
I still believe the president of FIU would have a very difficult time confincing the majority, that changing out International in the name is a good idea. I would love it as it would give us more of a true university name, but, the policians around the area and the other administration would not like the idea for certain reasons. I hope I am wrong but this is just message board talk, we see no evidence this is being discussed among the people of power.


I agree. The majority would have to convince him, I doubt he could convince others if they weren't for it.

I think the politicians obviously want a stronger state university in their districts. We would need polling and other evidence in order to convince the decision makers that A.) it would make the university brand much stronger and B.) they have the full support of the community behind them; again, similar to the Medical School initiative.

_________________
FIU: the University of Florida in Miami

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:23 pm   
Puma

Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:18 pm
Posts: 367
Then how do we get this done? How do we get the right people to listen to us? We are smart, we went to this university for goodness sake :lol: Lets figure this out.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:19 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm
Posts: 1886
I think the problem with this initiative you guys are discussing is that you're actually in the minority. I don't think most people want an FIU name change.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:27 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 2107
Panthers2008 wrote:
Then how do we get this done? How do we get the right people to listen to us? We are smart, we went to this university for goodness sake :lol: Lets figure this out.


Call Mitch and tell him we would like to reconsider that name-change idea of his; maybe in time for the 50th anniversary of the university. He'll get things moving.

_________________
FIU: the University of Florida in Miami

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin


Last edited by FIUFan on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Style originally created by Volize © 2003 • Redesigned SkyLine by MartectX © 2008 - 2009