It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:40 am

USC / UCLA <----> Miami / Miami State

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Author Message
 PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:49 pm   
Puma

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:48 am
Posts: 256
SouthPaw wrote:
Leaders reach for more, losers settle in a rest on their laurels.


…and the crazy just keep getting crazier.

You should really consider getting a degree from another university, preferably one of the MANY with the initials MSU.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:24 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:30 pm
Posts: 616
GoldenPantherFan wrote:
SouthPaw wrote:
Leaders reach for more, losers settle in a rest on their laurels.


…and the crazy just keep getting crazier.

You should really consider getting a degree from another university, preferably one of the MANY with the initials MSU.


Right, because people confuse Miami (UM) with other UM's like the Universities of Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, and Mississippi all the time. Just like they do with ASU, confusing Arizona State with Arkansas State and Appalachian State. Or UT when it comes to Texas, Tennessee, Toledo or Tulsa.

C'mon, man, you're better than that.

_________________
FIU is the city of Miami's only state university.
FIU is Miami State University.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:03 pm   
Puma

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:48 am
Posts: 256
SouthPaw wrote:
GoldenPantherFan wrote:
SouthPaw wrote:
Leaders reach for more, losers settle in a rest on their laurels.


…and the crazy just keep getting crazier.

You should really consider getting a degree from another university, preferably one of the MANY with the initials MSU.


Right, because people confuse Miami (UM) with other UM's like the Universities of Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, and Mississippi all the time. Just like they do with ASU, confusing Arizona State with Arkansas State and Appalachian State. Or UT when it comes to Texas, Tennessee, Toledo or Tulsa.

C'mon, man, you're better than that.


In Florida maybe. In the rest of the United States, Michigan is UM. Miami is now more recognized used as "The U". And don't worry if we were to ever change our name to MSU we will be right there with michigan state and Mississippi state battling for supremacy. Moorehead state and Murray state are slightly behind .


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:38 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 2107
It's not the initials that are important, it's what the name suggests.

Schools change their names all the time as their mission and focus evolves.

_________________
FIU: the University of Florida in Miami

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:44 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:30 pm
Posts: 616
[/quote] In Florida maybe. In the rest of the United States, Michigan is UM. Miami is now more recognized used as "The U". And don't worry if we were to ever change our name to MSU we will be right there with michigan state and Mississippi state battling for supremacy. Moorehead state and Murray state are slightly behind .[/quote]

Well, I guess I was wrong, you aren't better than that. If we changed our name to Miami State, we would almost never be referred to as MSU. Just like Ohio State is rarely if ever referred to as OSU, Michigan State as MSU, Kansas State as KSU, North Carolina State as NCSU, Boise State as BSU, Fresno State as FSU, Oregon State as OSU, or Arizona State as ASU.

We'd be known as Miami State, period. And people who have never heard of FIU would know instantly that we are (1) in Miami and (2) a state university in Florida. Imagine that. They would then know, probably for the first time in their lives for many, that the University of Miami isn't a state universitiy in Miami. But why would FIU want that?

_________________
FIU is the city of Miami's only state university.
FIU is Miami State University.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:43 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm
Posts: 1850
Image


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:45 am   
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 4295
Maybe they would think we are the state university of Miami (OH)? LOL. The name is not going to change. There are hundreds of thousands of alumni with FIU diplomas who would have a problem with that, including myself (and I have 2). Unless the university is willing to re-issue all the diplomas and pay for their framing, then I might consider it. Go F I U!


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:02 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm
Posts: 1850
FIUPantherFan wrote:
Maybe they would think we are the state university of Miami (OH)? LOL. The name is not going to change. There are hundreds of thousands of alumni with FIU diplomas who would have a problem with that, including myself (and I have 2). Unless the university is willing to re-issue all the diplomas and pay for their framing, then I might consider it. Go F I U!


Good point. And, as I've said a hundred times, it doesn't matter that people cannot identify the City in which a University's campus resides. Very few people can identify the City, State in which the 120+ FBS University campus' reside - much less the 300+ Division I Universities.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:24 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:11 am
Posts: 1066
Location: Miami, FL
I feel like my point about the whole FLORIDA needing to be in the name keeps getting ignored...I wonder why.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:12 pm   
Puma

Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:18 pm
Posts: 320
I do not like the name Florida International University, however, that is NOT our problem. We have a huge problem with the quality of our academics or the perceived quality of our academics (seems like no one cares about the quality of education. That I do not get).

More importanly, to everyone else on this forum, is that we have a low quality athletic department. It is much more than not winning, to me it is about not being competitive.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:46 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 2107
maskaros wrote:
I feel like my point about the whole FLORIDA needing to be in the name keeps getting ignored...I wonder why.

I'm with you.

_________________
FIU: the University of Florida in Miami

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:01 am   
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 4295
I agree with you. The name should have Florida in it. Hey, doesn't the F in FIU stand for Florida. Yep? All right, let's keep it!

Go F I U!

FIUFan wrote:
maskaros wrote:
I feel like my point about the whole FLORIDA needing to be in the name keeps getting ignored...I wonder why.

I'm with you.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:09 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 2107
FIUPantherFan wrote:
I agree with you. The name should have Florida in it. Hey, doesn't the F in FIU stand for Florida. Yep? All right, let's keep it!
Go F I U!
FIUFan wrote:
maskaros wrote:
I feel like my point about the whole FLORIDA needing to be in the name keeps getting ignored...I wonder why.

I'm with you.

The I in there gives me pause for thought. Why International? 90% of the student body were born and raised here.

And of course they would reissue the diploma(s); I doubt they'll frame them for you though. :D

_________________
FIU: the University of Florida in Miami

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:39 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm
Posts: 1850
Well, Miami's population is pretty diverse. And Miami is an international gateway. So that may be why the I was thrown in.

And, honest question, is it common practice for universities to reissue diplomas after a name change?


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:48 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 2107
pikedanny wrote:
Well, Miami's population is pretty diverse. And Miami is an international gateway. So that may be why the I was thrown in.
And, honest question, is it common practice for universities to reissue diplomas after a name change?

1.) So's NY and LA and none of their State universities are saddled with international in their names.

2.) You'd probably need to request it and there might be a nominal fee but those should be the only issues.

_________________
FIU: the University of Florida in Miami

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Style originally created by Volize © 2003 • Redesigned SkyLine by MartectX © 2008 - 2009