It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:26 am

USC / UCLA <----> Miami / Miami State

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:10 pm   
Golden Panther

Just trying to give a possible reason for the "international." I think I gave reasonable answers to the question. Clearly not good enough for you, however.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:45 pm   
Puma

I was googling MBA and good thing FIU started when we did, even though we have the bottom of the barrel in names, at least our name is not Florida National University.

There was a story that Florida National University (FNL) was accepting its first year of MBA applicants. The school started in 1982. As you can see Florida has run out of names for universities.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:29 pm   
Golden Panther

Panthers2008 wrote:
I was googling MBA and good thing FIU started when we did, even though we have the bottom of the barrel in names, at least our name is not Florida National University.

There was a story that Florida National University (FNL) was accepting its first year of MBA applicants. The school started in 1982. As you can see Florida has run out of names for universities.

lol FNU is a for-profit University in Hialeah.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:39 pm   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
Just trying to give a possible reason for the "international." I think I gave reasonable answers to the question. Clearly not good enough for you, however.

It's hard to write tone into a comment. You're point was clearly valid.

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:42 pm   
Puma

pikedanny wrote:
Panthers2008 wrote:

lol FNU is a for-profit University in Hialeah.

LOL, well then, no wonder it has a fake/for-profit sounding name to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:46 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUFan wrote:
pikedanny wrote:

It's hard to write tone into a comment. You're point was clearly valid.

Ok. Sowwy. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:15 pm   
Golden Panther

I have to admit, I cringe a little whenever I hear their commercial.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:52 pm   
Golden Panther

On rivalry week, FIU played North Texas. UM played Pittsburgh. Neither school has a real rival. Florida State and Florida are rivals, so don't think either is UM's rival. Rivalry week tells you who a school's real rival is.

Miami and Miami State should be a cross-town rivalry just like USC and UCLA. Private school vs public school in the same city.

When will FIU ever figure this out?

Instead, 99% of the country thinks FIU is an online school like the University of Phoenix.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:56 am   
Golden Panther

Your avatar shows how insane you are. Wow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:47 am   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:
On rivalry week, FIU played North Texas. UM played Pittsburgh. Neither school has a real rival. Florida State and Florida are rivals, so don't think either is UM's rival. Rivalry week tells you who a school's real rival is.

Miami and Miami State should be a cross-town rivalry just like USC and UCLA. Private school vs public school in the same city.

When will FIU ever figure this out?

Instead, 99% of the country thinks FIU is an online school like the University of Phoenix.

Actually, FIU played nobody this week. We should be playing FAU the last week since they're our rival. If a rivalry with Miami ever happens then we should play them, but until then it's FAU.

Stop blaming FIU for this, in order to make it happen FIU and UM need to agree to it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:34 pm   
Golden Panther

que bola fiu wrote:
Your avatar shows how insane you are. Wow

You do realize that I just copied the idea from ESPN, right? They've been using the alternating FIU/FAU logos for at least the last 5 years in their "bottom 10" rankings.

So I guess ESPN is insane also?

This is the national perception of our school, whether you choose to believe it or not.

Get your heads out of the sand (or something else), people!

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:11 am   
Cougar

I think most of us are somewhat in agreement that a name change is needed for a variety of reasons. The 1st, it would give us a very visible connection to Miami and the community at large. The 2nd, it would give us an image with a city that’s known nationally and international. The 3rd, we can utilize the marketing tools that are already in place to further the college athletic and academic programs. The 4th, it would separate us from FAU, which people confuse us with all the time. The 5th, we would be able to brand FIU in another way for the future of the school. The 6th, it will give the community and students more of a connection to the university.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:53 am   
Golden Panther

Katar1 wrote:
I think most of us are somewhat in agreement that a name change is needed for a variety of reasons. The 1st, it would give us a very visible connection to Miami and the community at large.

Um... No... Most of us are not in agreement. Actually, most of us think this is a really silly discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:49 pm   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
Katar1 wrote:
I think most of us are somewhat in agreement that a name change is needed for a variety of reasons. The 1st, it would give us a very visible connection to Miami and the community at large.

Um... No... Most of us are not in agreement. Actually, most of us think this is a really silly discussion.

Umm...when a school 90 miles away doesn't know where a state university with >50,000 students is, you've got an identity proplem.

UF-Miami (UF-M) or Florida State-Miami (FS-M)....hmm, I know where you are, and the name doesn't look like an on-line diploma mill or that you just got off the boat.

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:11 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUFan wrote:
pikedanny wrote:
Katar1 wrote:

Umm...when a school 90 miles away doesn't know where a state university with >50,000 students is, you've got an identity proplem.

UF-Miami (UF-M) or Florida State-Miami (FS-M)....hmm, I know where you are, and the name doesn't look like an on-line diploma mill or that you just got off the boat.

Funny that you mentioned that. I had some friends over at my place to watch FIU Basketball @ FGCU. Everyone remembered FGCU from their run in the NCAA Tourney a few years ago. You know what every single one of them asked me? "Where is FGCU, anyway?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next