It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:23 am

USC / UCLA <----> Miami / Miami State

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:06 am   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
Funny that you mentioned that. I had some friends over at my place to watch FIU Basketball @ FGCU. Everyone remembered FGCU from their run in the NCAA Tourney a few years ago. You know what every single one of them asked me? "Where is FGCU, anyway?"

Yeah, but are we really looking at FGC as a peer institution?

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:21 am   
Golden Panther

FIUFan wrote:
pikedanny wrote:
Funny that you mentioned that. I had some friends over at my place to watch FIU Basketball @ FGCU. Everyone remembered FGCU from their run in the NCAA Tourney a few years ago. You know what every single one of them asked me? "Where is FGCU, anyway?"

Yeah, but are we really looking at FGC as a peer institution?

They're a State University that competes at the highest level of collegiate athletics. Just like us. Only difference is we sponsor a football program. They have begun to research adding football, by the way.

But that's not the point. The point is that people knew the FGCU brand because they WON and had a nice run in the NCAA tournament, not because their name tells us where they are located.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:56 pm   
Cougar

pikedanny wrote:
Katar1 wrote:
I think most of us are somewhat in agreement that a name change is needed for a variety of reasons. The 1st, it would give us a very visible connection to Miami and the community at large.

Um... No... Most of us are not in agreement. Actually, most of us think this is a really silly discussion.

Why be a wet sock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:05 am   
Cougar

We need to be seen as having close ties with this city and community. Therefore, to prompt this change would be a name change to Miami State/Miami U, on some other name with Miami in it. Someone on here mentioned FGCU and people knew who they were due to a winning basketball program. But people still asked, where it’s located, and that's not good for the school or the students.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:54 pm   
Golden Panther

Katar1 wrote:
We need to be seen as having close ties with this city and community. Therefore, to prompt this change would be a name change to Miami State/Miami U, on some other name with Miami in it. Someone on here mentioned FGCU and people knew who they were due to a winning basketball program. But people still asked, where it’s located, and that's not good for the school or the students.

Everyone in Broward/Dade knows FIU (for good or bad reasons), they also know the work FIU does in this community. The suggested name change is not for the locals, it is intended solely for those outside of the city, outside of the community to easily differentiate this school from others.

You have school like UL-L trying to ditch the "-L", but we want to run to it. Schools like Memphis dropping "State", but we want to pick it up. Are we seeing something that they are not?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15