It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:13 pm

East-west passenger rail for Miami?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:42 pm   
Site Admin

Interesting read that could affect FIU, and frankly would make it easier for someone like me to get to more games.

Quote:
The Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is studying whether passenger trains could run on existing CSX freight tracks that run east-west in Central Miami-Dade.

The MPO board, comprised of county and municipal elected officials, OK’d the study to move forward at its meeting last Thursday.

“The idea is to allow the folks in the western part of the county to have an alternative,” said County Commissioner Juan Zapata, an MPO board member who sponsored the initiative for the study. “I think the study would be able to shed a light on the feasibility and, again, looking at all these different assets, being able to have a much more comprehensive solution to the traffic problems out in the western part of the county.”

The study would look at the feasibility of reactivating the CSX line, which runs more or less parallel to Northwest 12th Street, from Northwest 37th Avenue west to 137th Avenue, county records show.

The eastern portion of the track is just south of Miami International Airport and runs parallel to the Dolphin Expressway. It ends at the existing Miami Intermodal Center, a transportation hub just east of the airport where Metrorail, Tri-Rail and buses stop.

The idea of using existing freight tracks, either operating or inactive, to run passenger trains isn’t new.

Among numerous studies looking into this was a 2004 Rail Convertibility Study, which identified the CSX Dolphin Corridor as having “strong potential as a transit corridor.” The tracks could accommodate a Metrorail or a light rail type of service, according to the study.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2014/12/23/east-west-passenger-rail-miami/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:08 pm   
Golden Panther

So it would run from MIA's Intermodal to the Dolphin Mall?

Wouldn't do anything for us, it would just pump in more tourists for shopping.

I think a metro-line from West Kendall/MDCC-S to FIU would be about the only line that could drive any perceptable traffic for us. Remembering these lines only work when you take people from one population hub to another.

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin