Florida Atlantic in talks with Lane Kiffin

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:55 pm   
Golden Panther

http://footballscoop.com/news/fau-in-ta ... ne-kiffin/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:52 pm   
Puma

Being from Southern Cal, one thing I know about Kiffin is he will probably go to LSU or the NFL before he touches FAU. He has already failed in two major programs and has left a bad taste around some areas. The reason he probably wanted the houston job more than the other jobs was because his connections in that part of the country. I know he is a big name and comes from a football family and Pete Caroll, but I don't see him in Boca. He has no connections with FAU or the state of Florida to actually sell him for the long term or even the short term. I mean he literally walked out of Tennessee for the SC job. So, they could want him all they want, but I think they have a better chance of getting Strong, Shannon or Cristobal than Kiffin. If they do get Kiffin then it would probably be because the drama between him and Saban has escalated and he had no choice, but FAU to leave Alabama. I don't think he is going to waste time setting up a staff and then dipping after another opportunity comes. That's why I believe he is going to LSU.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:48 am   
Puma

Quote:
Florida Atlantic: Sources tell FootballScoop FAU and Lane Kiffin were in talks deep into Friday night but negotiations have hit a stumbling block. Will update as more becomes clear.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Just to humor everyone, the reason why Kiffin did not take the houston job was because Houston's donors wanted a big buy out to avoid departure to any P5. This means that Kiffin would've bailed on the owls as soon a better opportunity would have come. Still at least they got some media coverage for almost a week.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:36 am   
Golden Panther

I think it's funny if FAU thinks they have to get in an arms race with us. Going to be an interesting time if us, FAU, UCF, and USF take it up a notch and really start battling it out for recruits, coaches, attention, respect, everything. Guess it only helps us.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:56 pm   
Puma

USF just hired Charlie Strong lol I think we are going to have an interesting year next season. I think FAU is trying to sell the area like a coach was going to spend a week at the beach. I think Chun was counting on Fickell to go down to Boca, but then realized that he had a better opening at Cincy. I do agree with Uncle Luke, why would you need an agency to look for a coach. You are literally outsourcing your job? I mean, we talk about Pete and stuff but at least the man is helping out his coach.

I don;t really see FAU as a rival, but it kinda makes me feel bad for them. They could've picked someone from the Sunbelt or an FCS coach with Florida connections at a lower rate rather than show all cards and possibly set back your program even further.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:10 pm   
Golden Panther

I don't know if people think FAU is not our rival, or not at our level, or if that's the same thing; but if you listen to people that follow FAU - not students, but analysts and people in sports media, they claim that the FAU job is way better than ours. I guess it'll say a lot about where FAU is in the pecking order when we see who they're able to get.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:52 pm   
Puma

I can totally see what your saying lol I remember watching the Marshall vs FIU a few weeks ago and a commentator was like "I think about FAU in football before FIU". I was like, are you for real? lol I mean FAU was at best consistent with Howard, but never made a splash. Yes, i do admit FIU has had very bad years, but really??? FIU beat Louisville on national TV, There is basically Pro-bowler playing in the NFL (T.Y. Hilton), and Mario being on Gameday? I think most of these people that follow C-USA know that FIU has the potential to leave the conference if Butch does a great job down here. I think there is a little bit of hate because our alma mater is in a big market.