View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:27 pm   
Golden Panther

#FTG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:38 am   
Golden Panther

EngUMPanther wrote:
What he said may be true but, most would probably agree that it was in poor taste to bring all that up during his OU introductory press conference. I'm surprised by it because I thought he was above doing that. That said, at the same time it was interesting to hear some of those details. It's important to know and not be ignorant of some of the things going on at the department to understand what needed (or needs) to be fixed in order to improve. I hope that much of those issues have been addressed by now but would not be surprised if it is still going on. This university's administration can be it's own worst enemy.

I still think it was a terrible decision to fire Cristobal and had he stayed I really believe FIU would be the dominant football program in CUSA by now and considered along with UCF among the top tier of G5 programs in the state and with serious consideration to join the AAC during the next expansion. Mario repeatedly turned down offers from bigger programs which is rare among G5 coaches. He really seemed to have a desire to build up FIU into something special and he had the passion and recruiting ability to do so. I think this may be one of the most underrated hires among head coaches in college football this year and kudos to OU for seeing his ability and giving him the chance. If he learned much from Saban regarding X and O's during his years there on top of his recruiting ability OU could soon be back challenging for PAC 12 titles very soon.

He was asked a question about his time at FIU by a reporter. What was he supposed to do, not answer it? Give some mealy-mouthed answer that doesn't offend anyone? Why should he care if he pisses off anyone at FIU by saying the truth? He doesn't owe the school a thing.

Had he brought it up on his own... maybe I'd agree with you that it was classless. But he didn't.

Let's be real. MC had to answer that question. He's been in big time college football long enough to know someone in the Oregon/national media was going to ask him about his FIU days. It's totally relevant to the hire. I'm sure a few Oregon fans researched him and wondered why his W-L record was so terrible at FIU. He probably felt he had to give some context. I sure as hell would have if I were him.

I don't know if Mario would've turned FIU into a CUSA power. But he definitely should've been given the chance to do it. And he sure as hell deserved it more than Ron Turner. MC did about as good a job as you could have realistically expected.

I agree with you that Mario really believed he could build something special at FIU. It would've been the better career move to go to Rutgers or Pitt or someplace like that. To display that kind of loyalty and then be bounced after an injury-filled year following the two best seasons in FIU history (prior to this year, anyway)... wouldn't you be bitter? I would.

Having said that... I hope he and FIU can mend fences on that and schedule a home-and-home with Oregon someday. Sounds nuts, I know (at least with PG still around), but Oregon has recruited Florida for some time and I can't imagine Mario won't make South Florida a priority. He'd probably want to play a road game somewhere in the region. I imagine he could get it with Miami, though... but it'd be worth a couple phone calls just in case the U doesn't want to for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:53 am   
Golden Panther

I'm with CC here. Assuming MC didn't make up the story about the busses not being paid for (yikes), he was providing context for his W-L record. Just look through Twitter and you can find countless people bashing the hire because of his record. He needed context to defend himself. He truly did inherit an awful situation. I get why people are upset, but at the end of the day, it's a business, and he now works for Oregon.

I thank MC for what he did for the program. He turned an impossible situation into back-to-back bowl games. He brought guys like TY Hilton and Cyp to FIU. It was awesome. But he's part of the past. One can argue he left the FIU's roster in a really bad situation after his firing (there really wasn't much talent left).

In Butch Davis' first year, he has already equaled MC's best season of 8 wins. Butch can break that record with a W in the bowl game. FIU's future is bright without MC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:02 pm   
Golden Panther

I told myself not to get sucked into more Mario talk--the guy has been gone for five years--but I have to agree with CC here. Mario didn't say anything wrong. He was set up to fail.
I think his firing was inevitable because the guy was just a bad game day coach, but it shouldn't have happened because of one losing season that followed two bowl games. As far a the roster after he left, that was mostly on the administration. They fired Mario with no backup plan and left a bunch of college kids without any support staff in place for months. The losses the roster suffered weren't on Mario, either.
I just really wish we'd stop bringing him up, good or bad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:54 pm   
Golden Panther

I'm with CC here, what FIU did to him was uncalled for and handled poorly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:00 am   
Golden Panther

Congrats to Mario!

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:05 pm   
Golden Panther

Wow....MC taking it to the house with 76 yards of offensive thru the 3rd quarter. Oregon gonna be the Fiu of the West

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:50 pm   
Golden Panther

So this ‘great’ coach calls a Timeout with 15 mins left in the first quarter. Yes , you read that correctly! Same old MC.

I saw a bunch of bubble screens today. I’ll leave him alone...Good luck Oregon. :mrgreen:

#FTG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:52 pm   
Golden Panther

http://thespun.com/pac-12/oregon/mario-cristobal-las-vegas-bowl/amp?ads=off&__twitter_impression=true

Presented without comment

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:32 am   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:

I have a comment.

27-48

#FTG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:15 am   
Cougar

Clawing Cancer wrote:
I have no problem with anything he said. Nothing at all.

He's right. All of it. He pretty much was set up for failure, though he didn't say that directly.

I don't blame him for being bitter. Not one bit. He was hosed. If anything... I'm surprised he didn't act more bitter. He definitely was a bit sarcastic, but in his position, I probably would've done more than that.

One bad season after two straight bowls? He deserved better than to be canned. He deserved at least one more year. At least.

Think about it. All those NCAA issues. No real stadium. No real facilities. Strock left him a dumpster fire the size of Sweetwater.

What he did here was remarkable, considering all that... and I guarantee you a guy like Butch would never have come to FIU had those problems not been resolved while Mario was at FIU.

I hope he does well in Oregon. I think he will. As long as he leaves the X's and O's to others. Which I suspect he will. He's better at motivating and recruiting, anyway.

Stop making sense bro...some people around here like living in their delusional world that FIU at the time deserved better. Then Ron Turner came along and literally killed the program. Even with Butch here now and an 8-4 season, we can't get 500 students to attend a game.

Now they want to slander a coach that hasn't been the head coach for even a month.

I'm glad he was honest with the media. As fans We're always complaining about generic or politically correct answers for players and coaches. Mario was truthful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:42 am   
Golden Panther

SP1029 wrote:
Clawing Cancer wrote:
I have no problem with anything he said. Nothing at all.

He's right. All of it. He pretty much was set up for failure, though he didn't say that directly.

I don't blame him for being bitter. Not one bit. He was hosed. If anything... I'm surprised he didn't act more bitter. He definitely was a bit sarcastic, but in his position, I probably would've done more than that.

One bad season after two straight bowls? He deserved better than to be canned. He deserved at least one more year. At least.

Think about it. All those NCAA issues. No real stadium. No real facilities. Strock left him a dumpster fire the size of Sweetwater.

What he did here was remarkable, considering all that... and I guarantee you a guy like Butch would never have come to FIU had those problems not been resolved while Mario was at FIU.

I hope he does well in Oregon. I think he will. As long as he leaves the X's and O's to others. Which I suspect he will. He's better at motivating and recruiting, anyway.

Stop making sense bro...some people around here like living in their delusional world that FIU at the time deserved better. Then Ron Turner came along and literally killed the program. Even with Butch here now and an 8-4 season, we can't get 500 students to attend a game.

Now they want to slander a coach that hasn't been the head coach for even a month.

I'm glad he was honest with the media. As fans We're always complaining about generic or politically correct answers for players and coaches. Mario was truthful.

“Slander” - lol. You Mario lovers just don’t get it. Yes, he had a dumpster fire and made something of it. Yes, he should have been allowed to fail his final year of his contract and not terminated early. Yet all of you think he was the second coming if Jesus Christ. They guy sucked at game day coaching. I didn’t know we had a player/coach. You think he gets all those wins without TY and those players. No one is saying we deserved better at the time. Reading comprehension does not seem to be your strong point. We are just pointing out that some of you guys just have this guy in a pedestal when he just sucks as a game day coach. In the end, FIU gave him a chance and brought him in to his first coaching gig with no experience. He had an idea of what he was getting into because he took the job. Not saying he should be loving us for giving him a chance, but no need to just bash us either. Should have taken the Rutgers job when he had the chance. No coaching offers since. Got this job because of the players, not because of his history. Be the bigger man (he was the biggest guy in the room with that bow flex) about it and keep it Classy. He just came across as petty.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 am   
Golden Panther

Be graceful in your departure. Turner was fired too.
And guess what, not one peep out of him. Gone with the wind (was he actually ever here?).

But that's how it's done.

Plus, dumpster fire? How much of what MC inherited wasn't too far from the state of all young programs.

Our facilities sucked.... No, you don't say we're transitioning from DII just the year before him.
No history...no $$$$, we were 6 years old and working on facilities.
One BowFlex .... that's one magical BowFlex that build Antwan Barnes, Nick Turnbull, and the late Chandler. Plus other extremely good football players.

The reason he was hired was because of the FIU was so young. Right now, I guarantee a head coaching search not not consider a position coach with zero coordinator experience from anywhere.

In fact, Coach Harris is more qualified right now than Mario was at the time of his hire.

He didn't build $$$$, all the facilities we're on the budget and plans. He was lucky to be part of it.

And yes, some one please help me remove the bottom signature.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:31 pm   
Golden Panther

que bola fiu wrote:

We are just pointing out that some of you guys just have this guy in a pedestal when he just sucks as a game day coach. In the end, FIU gave him a chance and brought him in to his first coaching gig with no experience. He had an idea of what he was getting into because he took the job. Not saying he should be loving us for giving him a chance, but no need to just bash us either. Should have taken the Rutgers job when he had the chance. No coaching offers since. Got this job because of the players, not because of his history. Be the bigger man (he was the biggest guy in the room with that bow flex) about it and keep it Classy. He just came across as petty.

I agree that as a gameday coach he was terrible, but that doesn't take away the fact that PG didn't handle the situation correctly and that MC deserved better from FIU, he deserved at least one more season.

My $0.02

Side note, was unable to make any game this year, but my wife will be at the bowl game reppin', next year I'm definitely going to some games.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:50 pm   
Golden Panther

maskaros wrote:
que bola fiu wrote:

We are just pointing out that some of you guys just have this guy in a pedestal when he just sucks as a game day coach. In the end, FIU gave him a chance and brought him in to his first coaching gig with no experience. He had an idea of what he was getting into because he took the job. Not saying he should be loving us for giving him a chance, but no need to just bash us either. Should have taken the Rutgers job when he had the chance. No coaching offers since. Got this job because of the players, not because of his history. Be the bigger man (he was the biggest guy in the room with that bow flex) about it and keep it Classy. He just came across as petty.

I agree that as a gameday coach he was terrible, but that doesn't take away the fact that PG didn't handle the situation correctly and that MC deserved better from FIU, he deserved at least one more season.

My $0.02

Side note, was unable to make any game this year, but my wife will be at the bowl game reppin', next year I'm definitely going to some games.

And I agree with you 100%. Pg handled it piss poor. I’m not disputing that hence what I posted to let him fail in his final year and can him. That relationship was toxic from the start. The problem I have is with these Mario lovers that just are constantly saying how great he was and just won’t let it go. Some of these are the same ones that said that they would boycott until pg was gone. Well long and behold we got butch and are winning. Surprisingly these muertos are back and riding the butch bandwagon.

Cool man. Hopefully see you next year. I missed the majority as was traveling for work. Make sure to look for section 112 on game night. We will be in 130 in the first row. Will have our 112 signs also