It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:00 am

Mario Cristobal to named Oregon's new football coach

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:48 pm   
Puma

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 934642001/
I know he's irrelevant to FIU now but still I wish the best for him. Congrats MC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:58 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I'm being extreme BUT i hope he does terribly :) another program that is out of it is good for us!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:08 am   
Golden Panther

Off topic board perhaps? He's been gone for 5 years. let's focus on the present

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:25 pm   
Cougar

https://twitter.com/WurthDraft/status/9 ... 80384?s=17

$$$$, how much of this is true?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:42 pm   
Golden Panther

weekend_warrior wrote:
https://twitter.com/WurthDraft/status/939604497969680384?s=17

$$$$, how much of this is true?

Nice way to bash us....could keep it general and civil to a program that gave that no talent ass clown a chance. Yes he and PG did not get but there was no need for that. May he fail miserably at OU after those comments with his 4 tecmo bowl plays and calling time outs before punts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:30 pm   
Golden Panther

Wow that was classless Mario.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:32 pm   
Golden Panther

#FTG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:40 pm   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
#FTG

#f$cktheguy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:59 am   
Cougar

Yes, he's still very bitter how things went down during his tenure at FIU. But he needs to let it go, be the bigger man, and have some class. Because, it was FIU that gave him the opportunity to be a HC. Plus, I don’t think he’s not going to do all that great with Oregon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:28 am   
Puma

I see what he was trying to do, he was trying project his relentlessness during his tenure here at FIU.

I did not find the answer related and necessary regarding to the Oregon job. I understand he was done wrong here, but he could've just said he turned the program around.

Mario is an incredible recruiter and motivator, but he is not an X's and O's coach. Oregon is at a different animal when dealing with boosters and wins.

I liked Mario and he had done fantastic things for FIU (Its prolly why he still has bitter feelings for the university). I wish him nothing, but the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:22 pm   
Golden Panther

I have no problem with anything he said. Nothing at all.

He's right. All of it. He pretty much was set up for failure, though he didn't say that directly.

I don't blame him for being bitter. Not one bit. He was hosed. If anything... I'm surprised he didn't act more bitter. He definitely was a bit sarcastic, but in his position, I probably would've done more than that.

One bad season after two straight bowls? He deserved better than to be canned. He deserved at least one more year. At least.

Think about it. All those NCAA issues. No real stadium. No real facilities. Strock left him a dumpster fire the size of Sweetwater.

What he did here was remarkable, considering all that... and I guarantee you a guy like Butch would never have come to FIU had those problems not been resolved while Mario was at FIU.

I hope he does well in Oregon. I think he will. As long as he leaves the X's and O's to others. Which I suspect he will. He's better at motivating and recruiting, anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:52 pm   
Cougar

Clawing Cancer wrote:
I have no problem with anything he said. Nothing at all.

He's right. All of it. He pretty much was set up for failure, though he didn't say that directly.

I don't blame him for being bitter. Not one bit. He was hosed. If anything... I'm surprised he didn't act more bitter. He definitely was a bit sarcastic, but in his position, I probably would've done more than that.

One bad season after two straight bowls? He deserved better than to be canned. He deserved at least one more year. At least.

Think about it. All those NCAA issues. No real stadium. No real facilities. Strock left him a dumpster fire the size of Sweetwater.

What he did here was remarkable, considering all that... and I guarantee you a guy like Butch would never have come to FIU had those problems not been resolved while Mario was at FIU.

I hope he does well in Oregon. I think he will. As long as he leaves the X's and O's to others. Which I suspect he will. He's better at motivating and recruiting, anyway.

What he said may be true but, most would probably agree that it was in poor taste to bring all that up during his OU introductory press conference. I'm surprised by it because I thought he was above doing that. That said, at the same time it was interesting to hear some of those details. It's important to know and not be ignorant of some of the things going on at the department to understand what needed (or needs) to be fixed in order to improve. I hope that much of those issues have been addressed by now but would not be surprised if it is still going on. This university's administration can be it's own worst enemy.

I still think it was a terrible decision to fire Cristobal and had he stayed I really believe FIU would be the dominant football program in CUSA by now and considered along with UCF among the top tier of G5 programs in the state and with serious consideration to join the AAC during the next expansion. Mario repeatedly turned down offers from bigger programs which is rare among G5 coaches. He really seemed to have a desire to build up FIU into something special and he had the passion and recruiting ability to do so. I think this may be one of the most underrated hires among head coaches in college football this year and kudos to OU for seeing his ability and giving him the chance. If he learned much from Saban regarding X and O's during his years there on top of his recruiting ability OU could soon be back challenging for PAC 12 titles very soon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:10 pm   
Puma

HugoGP1 and Clawing Cancer sum up what I feel about MC and his remarks towards our football program at that time. We were in some deep sh&thole when he came in. I know there were some negative stuff happened during MC's tenure but which college football program doesn't have dirty secret? Which college football HC actually runs his program clean? Our program was in better shape when MC was fired and you cannot say the same thing about Don Strock or Ron Turner. Neither one of them made any progress for our program during their tenures.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:35 pm   
Golden Panther

1. Im sure it was true but anyone, let alone anyone in a leadership position should be bringing that up. He looked like a guy bashing an ex GF at the wrong place and time. And this is coming from yours truly who loved what he did for FIU. This comes off as sad.

2. Following old coaches on this board is important and relevant for the FIU football section because they continue to recruit in our backyard. Old coaches directly compete with us for recruits. It will interesting to see how many SoFLA recruits Mario gets to go across the country.

He better have good X's and O's support.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:47 pm   
Golden Panther

#FTG