It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:16 pm

After 50 Years, It's Still...FIWho?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:17 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU will be celebrating its golden anniversary this year. And after 50 years of incredible growth and accomplishments, our university is still almost completely unknown outside of the state of Florida. As a proud alum who lives in another state and who has traveled across the country, I can assure you that FIU gets no respect nationally. None. Zero.

If you bury your head in the sand and choose not to believe me, that’s fine. But it will not change the facts. Surely FIU must know this. It doesn’t take much time or money to conduct a national survey to gain an understanding of FIU’s national image and reputation.

Let me be clear: our school’s accomplishments over the past 50 years have earned national respect. But still doesn’t get it. Why? When will this change? Will it take another 50 years? Are we willing to wait this long?

The answer is simpler and easier than most realize. It will change when we change….our name. It’s time. And the 50th anniversary is the perfect time to do it. Does out leadership have the vision and courage to do it?

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:38 pm   
Golden Panther

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:40 pm   
Golden Panther

JFC are you a broken record. I'm sure Austin Peay University has done things to merit national recognition, too. How many on these boards can tell me where it is? All I know is somewhere in Tennessee. Lost he Napoleon complex already> "No one knows who we are! Boo hoo hoo!"
As an alum, I know who and where we are. That's all that matters to me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:02 pm   
Golden Panther

You mean we are not the Ivy League of the south?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:24 pm   
Golden Panther

...poison ivy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:50 pm   
Golden Panther

Change the name, change the game, change the trajectory

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 63.01 KiB | Viewed 2331 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:46 pm   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:

Classic one pikedanny!!! This topic will probably go on for another decade when T.Y.'s son will be our first 5 star recruit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:02 am   
Golden Panther

Let's change it to earth university so everyone knows where we are at. No way you could get that confused

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:15 pm   
Golden Panther

Step outside of Florida and an FIU degree is worthless. You might as well have a degree from the University of Phoenix. That's cold, hard reality.

I'm happy for you guys that are OK with that. The status quo works for losers. But I'm sure glad none of you are leaders of the university.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:34 pm   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:
Step outside of Florida and an FIU degree is worthless. You might as well have a degree from the University of Phoenix. That's cold, hard reality.

I'm happy for you guys that are OK with that. The status quo works for losers. But I'm sure glad none of you are leaders of the university.

I'm gonna ask a silly question, how does a name change make my degree valuable? I ask this because I was always of the view that the value of my degree was based on the reputation developed through the quality of work done by FIU alumni before me ( in said field) and research by the institution.

Maybe we should spent less time worrying about what others think of our name and more time on what they think of our work. Maybe that will make our degree less worthless. I mean, deciding to get a diploma from FIU in hopes that the name will change one day and make you instantly a hot commodity seems a little naive.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:10 pm   
Golden Panther

I've lived all over this country and find that FIU gets more respect outside South Florida.

Sports has definitely helped that a lot. Since we got football the name recognition has gone up 5000%. Still could be so much better if basketball was in the tournament every few years and we played in bowl games every couple of years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:35 pm   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:

Yeah... When I applied to grad school up here in NY they rejected my application because they said they didn't accept students from online universities.... Pysche, I'm typing this to you from upstate NY. This is so dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:47 pm   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
This is so dumb.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:29 pm   
Golden Panther

Oh No...fiu lost lawsui. Against FNU
http://m.bizjournals.com/southflorida/p ... twt&r=full

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:21 am   
Golden Panther

Whenever I hear that FNU commercial, I actually kinda do think we've got a crappy name, lol.