It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:12 pm

Bethune Cookman and LA Tech...

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:56 am   
Golden Panther

Bethune Cookman and LA Tech...

We are currently on a 6 game losing streak.

Lost to BCC (beyond embarrassing)

Then lost the first two games to LA Tech at home by a wide margin.

Trying to salvage our season with a win today at 1pm.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:07 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Hey Fellow Panther Fans,
Coaching high school baseball, I have learned one immutable fact about the game - a team can only go as far as it's pitching will carry it. When our BEST pitcher has a near 4.00 ERA, we will never get much above a .500 team record. I understand Coach Melendez inherited these players and he has done an admirable with them. However, he better invest a lot of his future scholarships to young pitching because he will spin his wheels for years if he doesn't. Baseball has a lot of passe cliches but one that stands up is - "Pitching and good defense wins championsips". Based on my personal (and very successful) career as a head coach, I believe pitching is 60% of the game, hitting 30%, fielding and base running 5% each. Just some random thoughts. FIUPhil

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:09 pm   
Golden Panther

In my opinion we shouldn't be playing OOC mid-week series this late in the season. Pitchers are spent already without adding meaningless games. Cut the midweek stuff in mid-April.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:56 am   
Golden Panther

This team has exceeded my expectations from the beginning of the season. I didn't expect them to be much better than Turtle's 2016 team that went .500 (29-29). That said, they seem to have faded here towards the end of the season. Regardless, I think Coach Melendez has done a nice job of getting the guys in the right mindset and with the #1 recruiting class coming in, I think he'll be fine next year (as long as SOME of those guys end up on campus).

This FIU ballclub was never going to get an at large bid into the NCAA tournament. The only way they "salvage the season" (assuming that a good season is making the postseason) is by winning the C-USA tournament. And as of today, we are on the outside looking in for the conference tournament. We're in 9th Place just behind Rice and only the top 8 teams make the tournament. Losing 5 of the last 6 conference games will do that. We have 6 conference games left - 3 against 2nd Place ODU and 3 against last place WKU. It's going to come down to the wire.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 pm   
Golden Panther

At least we won the last game against LA Tech.

6 games left. 3 against a very tough ODU in their park, then 3 at home against a poor WKU team. We will have to figure out a way to win 4 out of 6 of these games to give us a shot at the tournament.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:00 am   
Puma

By winning one against ODU, we have a chance to win 4 out of the last 6 like you mentioned. That being said, we should have won yesterday's game vs ODU. This team is embarrasing itself out there. I would not be upset if they don't make the tournament, they don't deserve it.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:22 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU is really collapsing here at the end... they looked so good mid season. So disappointing here at the end.

We need to sweep our last series for a chance at playoffs.