Mario Cristobal to named Oregon's new football coach

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:29 pm   
Cougar

que bola fiu wrote:
SP1029 wrote:
Clawing Cancer wrote:
I have no problem with anything he said. Nothing at all.

He's right. All of it. He pretty much was set up for failure, though he didn't say that directly.

I don't blame him for being bitter. Not one bit. He was hosed. If anything... I'm surprised he didn't act more bitter. He definitely was a bit sarcastic, but in his position, I probably would've done more than that.

One bad season after two straight bowls? He deserved better than to be canned. He deserved at least one more year. At least.

Think about it. All those NCAA issues. No real stadium. No real facilities. Strock left him a dumpster fire the size of Sweetwater.

What he did here was remarkable, considering all that... and I guarantee you a guy like Butch would never have come to FIU had those problems not been resolved while Mario was at FIU.

I hope he does well in Oregon. I think he will. As long as he leaves the X's and O's to others. Which I suspect he will. He's better at motivating and recruiting, anyway.

Stop making sense bro...some people around here like living in their delusional world that FIU at the time deserved better. Then Ron Turner came along and literally killed the program. Even with Butch here now and an 8-4 season, we can't get 500 students to attend a game.

Now they want to slander a coach that hasn't been the head coach for even a month.

I'm glad he was honest with the media. As fans We're always complaining about generic or politically correct answers for players and coaches. Mario was truthful.

“Slander” - lol. You Mario lovers just don’t get it. Yes, he had a dumpster fire and made something of it. Yes, he should have been allowed to fail his final year of his contract and not terminated early. Yet all of you think he was the second coming if Jesus Christ. They guy sucked at game day coaching. I didn’t know we had a player/coach. You think he gets all those wins without TY and those players. No one is saying we deserved better at the time. Reading comprehension does not seem to be your strong point. We are just pointing out that some of you guys just have this guy in a pedestal when he just sucks as a game day coach. In the end, FIU gave him a chance and brought him in to his first coaching gig with no experience. He had an idea of what he was getting into because he took the job. Not saying he should be loving us for giving him a chance, but no need to just bash us either. Should have taken the Rutgers job when he had the chance. No coaching offers since. Got this job because of the players, not because of his history. Be the bigger man (he was the biggest guy in the room with that bow flex) about it and keep it Classy. He just came across as petty.

Hey how was Turner at play calling and game day coaching overall? How was attendance while he was here...I couldn't care less about Cristobal, but some of you act like the program was in better shape when he first took the job than when he left.

I'm glad Butch is here now but from what I saw this year (no,attendance while winning games) and the resurrection of the cross town "rivals", I don't think this program recovers from the turner Era.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:14 pm   
Golden Panther

My quote from Turner was put as a signature from his first ever speech, at that time there was no way to know that Turner came here to retire and was going to SUCK. For some reason my account on this forum will not let me change it....so after three years trying to edit it I've given up.

At any rate, all it says is #NextUp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:18 pm   
Golden Panther

SP1029 wrote:
que bola fiu wrote:
SP1029 wrote:

Stop making sense bro...some people around here like living in their delusional world that FIU at the time deserved better. Then Ron Turner came along and literally killed the program. Even with Butch here now and an 8-4 season, we can't get 500 students to attend a game.

Now they want to slander a coach that hasn't been the head coach for even a month.

I'm glad he was honest with the media. As fans We're always complaining about generic or politically correct answers for players and coaches. Mario was truthful.

“Slander” - lol. You Mario lovers just don’t get it. Yes, he had a dumpster fire and made something of it. Yes, he should have been allowed to fail his final year of his contract and not terminated early. Yet all of you think he was the second coming if Jesus Christ. They guy sucked at game day coaching. I didn’t know we had a player/coach. You think he gets all those wins without TY and those players. No one is saying we deserved better at the time. Reading comprehension does not seem to be your strong point. We are just pointing out that some of you guys just have this guy in a pedestal when he just sucks as a game day coach. In the end, FIU gave him a chance and brought him in to his first coaching gig with no experience. He had an idea of what he was getting into because he took the job. Not saying he should be loving us for giving him a chance, but no need to just bash us either. Should have taken the Rutgers job when he had the chance. No coaching offers since. Got this job because of the players, not because of his history. Be the bigger man (he was the biggest guy in the room with that bow flex) about it and keep it Classy. He just came across as petty.

Hey how was Turner at play calling and game day coaching overall? How was attendance while he was here...I couldn't care less about Cristobal, but some of you act like the program was in better shape when he first took the job than when he left.

I'm glad Butch is here now but from what I saw this year (no,attendance while winning games) and the resurrection of the cross town "rivals", I don't think this program recovers from the turner Era.

Again your comprehension is lacking. The majority of people that say that Cristobal sucked, were also not very impressed with the turner hire and agree that it was botched and rushed. If you remember, butch was supposed to be the hire also. No one also is saying that the the program was in better shape when Mario got it than he left it so stop making up an absurd statement. You sound like Trump with making up crap.

Yes, attendance sucked. Winning surely helps. UCG resurgence doesn’t help us. If we win the bowl and start off strong, it will build. We go undeafeated into mid season, the crowd will be there. We need to figure out to try to avoid as many home games as possible when UCG plays to bring people in. We pull off an upset vs them, that will be the golden ticket. You have to remember also that our high attendance numbers coincided with the UCG Shapiro scandal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:38 pm   
Golden Panther

I know $$$$ well Mario was not a good gameday coach. X's and O's aren't his thing. We all know this. But being a bad gameday coach isn't a crime in college. Especially when you can recruit the way he can.

If he doesn't learn to leave the offense to X's and O's guys, he's not going to last long in Oregon. They know what good offense does up there. And you need good offense to win the Pac-12. That's not a defense kind of league, usually.

I'm glad he was honest. There's no way what he said was "petty" or "classless". He was just answering a question. A relevant one, too.

At the time he took the job, FIU was THE WORST JOB in D-1. That's not even debatable. To go from that to 2 bowl seasons is freakin' miraculous.

He sucks during games... but don't tell me MC's a muerto of a coach. No crappy coach pulls that off.

Turner had far more tools to work with and fell on his face. THAT'S a crappy coach.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:09 pm   
Golden Panther

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:07 pm   
Golden Panther

Roman wrote:

That's weird...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:36 pm   
Golden Panther

JulesFIU07 wrote:
Roman wrote:

That's weird...

Remains OL coach cause that's the only $$$$ he knows. Glad he is finally seeing himself for what he is.

Hopefully, he can keep himself out of the play books and let his coordinators work.

8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:05 am   
Golden Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:
Roman wrote:

That's weird...

Remains OL coach cause that's the only $$$$ he knows. Glad he is finally seeing himself for what he is.

Hopefully, he can keep himself out of the play books and let his coordinators work.

8)

You know better, him and Mirabal will be calling the plays.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:26 am   
Juvenile Panther

weekend_warrior wrote:
https://twitter.com/WurthDraft/status/939604497969680384?s=17

$$$$, how much of this is true?

Thanks for the link.